The Impaler Legacy Omnibus by Ioana Visan

The Impaler Legacy Omnibus

by Ioana Visan

851,035,133 (3.6)None

I'm a big fan of vampire sagas. This one had a more adult take. No teenage love story here. A love story in the book, yes, but a much more realistic love story. And not between a human and a vampire, but between two humans. It made for a nice twist. It was also nice to see humans and vampires working together against an evil force. It was a very good read and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it for any vampire lovers. ( )
  deemelody | Nov 4, 2014 |
I must say just reading the blurb on the website I was prepared to hate this book as just another vampire book on the market, then I started to read it. Wow was I ever glad to be wrong. This book has a very interesting take on vampires and kept me wanting to read more. I hope to find more sequels soon as I want to see what happens next. Great book,great author. ( )
  draigthedm | Sep 26, 2014 |
The Impaler’s Revenge
★★★☆☆
* I liked the intro, which did a good job showing instead of telling to introduce the world. There was just enough hinting at plot points to get me curious.
* I really liked Liana, who was tough not stupid about accepting help
* The interaction between Liana and the vampire was great. They both come across as pretty cool people and their banter made the book fun
* There were a number of typos I felt should have been cleaned up by the time a book is being republished as part of an anthology
* This ended up being a great mix of politics and action, both fascinating
* The writing felt a bit flat to me. There wasn’t anything distinctive about it and it didn’t create a particular atmosphere
* I liked the romance, which developed in a slow, believable way and didn’t take over the plot
* Good twist on the vampire origin story and fascinating plot twist at the end

Sweet Surrender
★★★☆☆
* Good use of a novella! The relationship between Liana and her love interest needed this development, but separating this out helped keep the previous book from being too focused on the romance
* This is basically just one scene though, very short even for a novella

A Victory That Counts
★★☆☆☆
* While at war, Liana decides to torture someone and her emotions about the whole thing seemed flat and unbelievable. She basically thinks “I don’t want to do this, but oh well”. Then afterwards she’s a bit upset about it but not much.
* Her boyfriend is also nonplussed by the torture, which may make him a good boyfriend but also makes him a pretty bad human being
* I was really disappointed by how the moral questions were ignored in this book. In addition to the torture being treated so lightly, Liana also ignores evidence that not all vampires evil and that some of the rulers in her country are very evil. I wish so badly that had been the focus of this book!
* From the torture scene, this was all downhill for me. I just couldn’t connect with Liana and her motivations

Casualties of War
★★☆☆☆
* This is not a good use of a novella. The way the protagonist’s love interest gets kidnapped and how she deals with that is not something that can be left out. Personally, I don’t think a novella should be essential to the plot
* I’m a bit tired of the damaged female paranormal protagonist who must hide her feelings because she’s been hurt in the past. The way things play out here turned our protagonist into one of those characters.

Order Restored
★★☆☆☆
* About the only likable thing about Liana in the last book were her feelings for Jesse. Suppressing those is making her less relatable
* The typos are far more common and more annoying in this book, several on most pages
* I really like how she handled the interaction with vampires in this book too. Very gutsy!
* The plot is pretty good, but the battles and the climax lack oomph. They’re just not epic enough
* This could be a fun, light, action-packed story, but the protagonist’s callousness and the typos made it hard to enjoy
* I think this book was intended to address the moral issue, but while it’s talked about a little and Liana abruptly changes at the end, it wasn’t very believable

The Third Wheel
★★★☆☆
* I liked this happy little novella, which wrapped up the political situation and everyone’s love lives pretty well
* There are still typos, but not as many as in the last book
* The story doesn’t make any more sense than Liana’s change of heart at the end of the last book, but if you accept that, then this story works

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is the Impaler Legacy series in one book. I enjoy these characters especially Liana and Maximillian. While I know Liana loves Jesse, I kept hoping Max and she would hook up. They are very evenly matched. As they try to stop the rise of the New Vampire coming out of New Zealand they both learn how to compromise and work together for the common good. I liked how Liana became less antagonistic towards Max since her bodyguard became a vampire while trying to protect her. I also liked how each story built upon the previous one and picked up the story line. The world building is good. The rules are constant through the stories. I hate to see this series end. I'm going to miss Lians and Max. ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 1, 2014 |
The Impaler Legacy Omnibus by Ioana Visan

The Little Council has kept vampires out of Romania for five centuries. For reasons unknown, the Prime Minister has invited Maximilien Hess, a thousand-year-old vampire onto Romanian soil. Liana Cantacuzino, of the Little Council, has been tasked with keeping an eye on the vampire, an assignment she is not thrilled about.

There are a lot of vampire stories in the market place. This series is definitely a refreshing and original take on the subject manner. The Impaler Legacy Omnibus is a fast pace action filled book.

One of the things that I found revitalizing was that the heroine doesn’t fall in love the main vampire. Considering that Liana has been raised to hate vampires, this makes the tale all the more believable.

The story is thoroughly developed, with interesting characters, an attention-grabbing conflict, and a satisfying ending. The Impaler Legacy Omnibus is a wonderful adult vampire novel with an appealing twist.

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Apr 8, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Ioana Visan's book The Impaler Legacy Omnibus was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Ioana Visan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible