Ghostly Paws by Leighann Dobbs

Ghostly Paws (2014)

by Leighann Dobbs

I like mysteries, and I like cats, and a ghost or 2 can liven things up.

The problem is that with all of these- especially psychic, human-helpful cats, it can get somewhat too adorable too fast.

I like my fictional cats to be CATS. Cats have many virtues, including helpfulness... but they help according to their own lights, not ours- which is why their "help" can often be so annoying! But I LIKE that about them- it makes me think about a worldview that is not human-centric, and that's both fun and useful.

So my problem here is that while there is a cabal of cats, they do not have their own separate agenda; they mostly want to help the humans.

This is not feline.

Apart from that, it's an OK mystery. I remain unsure of why the initial murder happened; why was the librarian where and when she usually wasn't? And why did the murderer just happen to be there at the exact same time? Never explained. And that's just one point- albeit a major one; many other points just came up and were seemingly forgotten, rather than woven into a satisfying conclusion.

The human characters were pretty well-drawn and interesting. The proto-romance was formulaic. ( )
  cissa | May 8, 2017 |
First in Leighann Dobbs’ Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery Series, Ghostly Paws creates a nice sense of place and character, adding just the right touch of mystery, suspense, and feline paranormality. A dead woman would like her murder solved, and a newly returned resident would just like to settle down. But Wilhelmina seems to have inherited more than a bookstore and a cat. Now she’s haunted by ghosts and memories of past love. Trying to resolve Wilhelmina’s present and the murder victim’s past leads readers into a pleasantly odd read, with delightfully wise cats, just the right amount of depth and backstory, and a great cast of characters.

The novel, told from both human and feline points of view, is complete in itself, but readers will find it hard not to pick up the next one in the series straight away, especially if they love cats. It's cozy, suspenseful and fun.

Disclosure: I was given a copy and I love it. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jan 27, 2017 |
I sort of wonder if it was the main character who has had a prior head injury, or the author. I like paranormal cozies with twists and a hint of romance as much as the next reader, but this one seemed like it was a personal contest to see how many unlikely aspects the author could cram in. Liked the cast of talking cats, enjoyed the three prominent ghosts, not too sure about the odd collection of conjurers, though. The writing was good, and the audio performer was excellent. Never hammy, and delineated the characters well, with just the right touch to portray emotions. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Aug 27, 2016 |
I would rate this as average or slightly below as far as cozy mysteries go. The beginning seems very similar to another cozy mystery that I read recently. I also thought having ghosts talk to the amateur sleuth was "cheating". Instead of discovering clues, the ghosts and the cats lead her to evidence, clues, etc.
I did like the information on Franklin Pierce that was conveyed through the story. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 26, 2016 |
Took me a while to get into it. Didn't see Carson as the killer which was a good thing. ( )
  junco1312 | May 21, 2016 |
In over thirty years as head librarian for the Mystic Notch Library, Lavinia Babbage had never once opened the doors before eight a.m.

Middle age can be murder ...

At least that’s how it seems to former crime journalist, Wilhelmina Chance, whose near-fatal accident has given her a strange side effect ... she sees ghosts.

After a messy divorce sends her fleeing back to her hometown of Mystic Notch, nestled in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Willa finds herself haunted by the tenacious ghost of the town librarian who insists Willa solve her murder.

Luckily, she has lots of help, including a quirky cast of small-town characters, the cat she’s inherited from her grandmother, and her best friend, Pepper, who claims her herbal teas can work magic.

But just when Willa thinks she’s discovered who the killer is, she finds out that things are not what they seem in Mystic Notch, and the case takes a strange turn that has Willa adding even some of her long-time friends to her suspect list.

Can Willa find the real killer in time to keep the magical balance in Mystic Notch on the side of good, or will evil prevail?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,916,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible