Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age…

Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language…

by Benny Lewis

English (4)  German (1)  All (5)
I got this at the library because I wondered if it contained any suggestions that I haven't already picked up in years of learning languages. The answer is, unfortunately, no. It wasn't horrible, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I don't think there's much new information here, and it all boils down to this: speak the language as much as possible as early as possible. I didn't need this book to tell me that. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
Not a huge amount in here beyond what's already on the blog, and a bit underwhelming as a result. Still - all the lessons are valid and you can't fault the approach. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Oct 31, 2016 |
A lot of great tips and interesting insights into learning new language. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 22, 2016 |
I read Benny Lewis' book "Fluent in 3 Months" with one thing in mind - kick-starting my language learning into high gear and he has succeeded in doing that.

I am not new to language learning. Born in Canada, I took French in school right through high school and several years ago I decided, as a challenge, to learn Japanese. I have found that my level in these languages has not budged - mainly through lack of effort on my part.

Benny shows in his book many ways to involve yourself in language in order to bring it to the next level. For example, he recommends that you get tested when you get to a reasonable level. I didn't bother with Japanese - I know I am somewhere between an A1 and an A2. However, I did get tested in French and was not surprised to find I was rated a B2.

So I have taken Benny's advice and I am finding ways to bring these languages into my day. With Japanese, I am using flash cards to memorize the kanji and I am reading basic texts. For my French, he advises when you get to the higher levels it is time to get into gear with grammar. I purchased a good verb book and an advanced grammar text. I am also translating a book I know well ("Little Women") and using an app with French exercises. I can already notice the difference.

Benny's book has a lot to offer whether you have never studied a language before or, like me, just need some advice on how to take it to the next level. I found this book interesting and I enjoyed Benny's conversational tone. Recommended for any language learner. ( )
2 vote Canadian_Down_Under | Jun 5, 2014 |

Benny Lewis, who speaks over ten languages—all self-taught—runs the largest language-learning blog in the world, Fluent In 3 Months. Lewis is a full-time "language hacker," someone who devotes all of his time to finding better, faster, and more efficient ways to learn languages. Fluent in 3 Months: How Anyone at Any Age Can Learn to Speak Any Language from Anywhere in the World is a new blueprint for fast language learning. Lewis argues that you don't need a great memory or "the language gene" to learn a language quickly, and debunks a number of long-held beliefs, such as adults not being as good of language learners as children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:00 -0400)

A new blueprint for fast language learning. Lewis argues that you don't need a great memory or "the language gene" to learn a language quickly, and debunks a number of long-held beliefs, such as adults not being as good of language learners as children. --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,567,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible