Under a Summer Sky by Nan Rossiter

Under a Summer Sky

by Nan Rossiter

I have such mixed feelings about this book. It was good to get to know more of the Coleman family from More Than You Know. The setting on the Cape is always appealing. The story was fine, not great but not bothersome either.

The bad: There were at least eleven significant characters most with biblical names so I was frequently confused. It didn't help that in one paragraph Asa got out of bed, Noah left the bedroom, and Asa went downstairs. I'm guessing that was an editing issue!

My second problem was with the sledgehammer use of religion. I attend church regularly and think the sermons I hear are more subtle than the conversations this family has! ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
Under a Summer Sky by Nan Rossiter
Have read other books by the author and love that they take me to Cape Cod where things are yet undiscovered there for me.
With the beginning there is a page worth of the characters-there's a bunch of them but don't let that fool you. It's easy to keep track of who is who. Love the secrets that come out, not only of the family relationships but the adventures into known jaunts around the cape.
Book is broken up into parts where the first one is how Noah and Laney met in the early years. Next part is about Micah's wedding where they will hold it on Noah/Laney's beach front along with their 5 boys and animals. Noah is a minister and the book is religious in helping us understand why things are what they are.
Such an easy going read. Love the tradition of reading of the poems, so cool! Life and death go on as another summer comes, Laney is done teaching and all the boys are home-2 from college. They all go their separate ways during the day, home for dinner at night...
What I really like about this book is that every generation is going through life events and they are brought forward. So you have aged adults going through chemo, mid adults going through raising kids of all ages, young ones just finding love for the first time and a family wedding.
Other obstacles face them and are dealt with, as they are everyday issues that can mean life or death to some. Some family recipes are included.
I received this book from The Kennsington Books in exchange for my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 30, 2015 |
UNDER THE SUMMER SKY is a beautiful and compelling story about the bonds of family and faith, set in the idyllic Cape Cod coastal area.

The story begins with a back story of Noah’s father, a complicated family (which I found very intriguing). His father had an affair with an older woman (his grandfather’s best friend), which left him the beach house. He meets a gal Laney, from Georgia (Pacey's Peaches and Pecans) during college and later Noah (from New England), and Laney marry. He a minister and Laney a school teacher—with five boys and two labs.

Their life is pretty much filled with everyday drama and life with a house full of boys. (I know as I raised five boys, and a golden retriever as well, so can relate—turns into 10 on the weekends when they have their friends over).

At the same time, Noah volunteers their home for his younger brother Micah’s) upcoming wedding---causing some drama, as there are things in the home which need updated, one being the kitchen.

This heartwarming novel addresses many highly-charged subjects, and one being bullying. Their youngest son is experiencing bullying at school and on the bus—with serious consequences. In addition, Noah’s father (Asa) has a serious health scare, as does another family member, which causes a careful look at what life is all about, as well as some questioning their faith.

Maddie and Asa keep things quiet about his illness, as they do not want to upset the upcoming nuptials and planning. Nan Rossiter has a way of intertwining family, faith, grief, illness, love, cooking, and pets into her books ---- for a take away about the importance of family, honesty, new beginnings, and treasuring those you love and hold dear.

Rossiter raised the question, “Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?” –death, bullying, illness-----as Noah’ sermons addresses through the novel, inviting us to believe that even though life is filled with tragedies, God is there to sustain and guide us. “Life is messy-there’s no doubt about it. It’s hard and it often sets us back on our heels. But that still doesn’t mean it isn’t glorious. God gave us this glorious life to see what we would do with it, and he gave us resilient spirits and a promise to always be with us through every struggle”. God knows the big picture, and we do not always know his ultimate plan—we have to Trust Him.

In today’s society, we need faith—and many authors are integrating light spirituality within fiction books---as just recently read book, Distortion by Terri Blackstock (a well know best seller of thriller, crime, and suspense novels) crossing over, as Christian publishers were showing interest in the suspense genre and Christian publisher Zondervan has picked up a number of her books.

I enjoyed MORE THAN YOU KNOW, Rossiter's previous book, and chose the audiobook for UNDER A SUMMER SKY, read by Jennifer Van Dyck (good job). The audiobook started out slow; however, as all the players were put in place, began to take shape ---for an inspiring, heartwarming light summer read.

JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
The Short of It:

Faith, love and family in a gorgeous Cape Cod setting.

The Rest of It:

Laney Coleman and her minister husband Noah live in an old, beloved Cape Cod house with their five rambunctious boys. Their lives are full, but happy. With the two oldest boys heading out to college, this particular summer seems bittersweet. Her boys are growing up and when her youngest son is bullied, their lives take on a complexity that threatens to mar this perfect time. But as with most situations, faith and patience is what pulls Laney through and when she finds herself hosting her brother-in-law’s wedding, she decides to embrace the chaos.

If you haven’t read Rossiter’s books before, you are in for a real treat. This book can be read as a stand-alone novel but it builds on the characters introduced in her previous books. It’s really a culmination of all of her novels. It was nice to visit these characters again, given the heartache that some of them endured in the past.

This is one of those books that you reach for and then smile while reading. It’s a feel-good book. You know the type I am talking about. It contains characters that you care about, a gorgeous setting, food talk (think chowder and peach cobbler), and I can’t forget the furry, four-legged members of the family because Rossiter manages to work them into every book. But as pleasant as it is to read Rossiter’s books, I am always surprised as how she manages to weave in the heavier topics. Aging, health concerns, bullying and characters who question their faith are all included here and it’s what makes this family so real.

This is the perfect summer read because it offers up a lot more than just a sunny locale. It’s filled with feel-good moments but at the same time, really makes you think about the issues presented. Rossiter never fails to impress me. I don’t know how she does it! Her books are always a hit with me and I love how she writes about what she loves. She makes it all look so effortless. The inclusion of the some of the recipes featured is a big plus. I have already made the pasta sauce once and it’s about to be made again later this week.

I have suggested Rossiter’s books to more people than I can count so when she offered a copy for me to give away, well… I jumped at the opportunity. If you’d like a chance to win your own copy, check out my blog. Giveaway ends 6/6/14 and is open to the US and Canada.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | May 28, 2014 |

New York Times bestselling author Nan Rossiter transports readers to Cape Cod with a warm, compelling story of family, new beginnings, and finding the courage to love honestly and well...The old Cape Cod house that Laney Coleman shares with her minister husband Noah and their five boys is usually brimming with cheerful chaos. There's nothing fancy about the ancient kitchen or the wooden floors scuffed by the constant parade of activity and the clicking claws of their two Labrador retrievers. It's a place to savor the sea breeze wafting through the windows, or sip coffee on the porch before another hectic day begins. This summer, life promises to be even busier than usual, because Noah's younger brother, Micah, wants to hold his upcoming wedding on their property.
Though thrilled that Micah has found happiness after past heartache, Laney is apprehensive about having her home turned upside down. She has other concerns too--her youngest son is being bullied at school, and Noah's father is not the robust patriarch he once was, in mind or body. As the bride and groom's large, close-knit families gather, there will be joyful celebration but also unexpected sorrows and revelations, and a chance to store up a lifetime of memories during the fleeting, precious days of summer...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

As two close-knit families spend one summer preparing for the joyous celebration of a wedding, they must rely on each other as problems arise.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible