The Glass Kitchen: A Novel of Sisters by…

The Glass Kitchen: A Novel of Sisters

by Linda Francis Lee

2052857,211 (3.99)5

The Glass Kitchen is a wonderful mix of southern family, relationships, challenges and romance along with a wee bit of magical knowing.

This beautifully written story moved me and I was rather impressed with Ms. Lee's ability to realistically portray in her book the essence of southern meets northern lifestyles which is not always an easy thing to do.

Listening to this story through the audio version via Audible really brought this story to life for me. The narrator, Julia Whelan was excellent and her southern accent rang true and never wavered throughout her entire performance.

My only regret with choosing to listen to the audio version is that the wonderful recipes included at the end of the book were a bit hard to capture. I plan on picking up a copy of this book from my library to peruse through those mouthwatering recipes Portia made in her southern kitchen. I can't wait to make some of them!

My final thoughts? A wonderful reading experience and I definitely recommend this book to you all! ( )
  mrsrenee | Sep 8, 2017 |
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Charming! This book was as delightful as the recipe, a very fun read. I adored the sisters, their names, and their personalities. I loved how New York City became almost another character, the setting really worked for me. I didn't care for the repetitive mention that the sisters were from Texas... ( )
  GirlWellRead | Feb 25, 2017 |
This is probably one of my new favorite books I have read this year. The story of three sisters, it focuses on family traditions and family bonds. Cordelia, Olivia, and Portia (their parents were Shakespeare fans)move from Texas to New York City, where they have inherited an old townhouse from their great-aunt Evie. Cordelia and Olivia have already sold their apartment to Gabriel, but Portia clings to her share stubbornly. Portia becomes entwined in the lives of Gabriel and his daughters, as she tries to discover a way to make a living through her cooking.

At the age of 7, it was discovered that Portia had been born with the gift of "knowing" - knowing what food a troubled soul might need to make a heart happier or a life easier. Tragedy strikes when she is a young adult, and she turns her back on her gift, only to find it is not that easy to deny the knowing. Slowly, tentatively, she creates her life again opening her heart and her mind in the process.

Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
This is the perfect beach read – a love story set in New York City. Portia, a native of Texas, is forced to move when her political husband is caught having an affair with her best friend. She comes to live in the city with her two sisters, but unable to find anything else, she moves into the garden apartment that was left to her by her grandmother. The owner of the rest of the building becomes her love interest but before she can deal with that she must find a way to support not only herself, but her two sisters as well. Out comes other grandmother’s cookbooks and the second Glass Kitchen is born. There are few surprises but it is a fun read. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Dec 12, 2015 |
I will be looking for more books by this author---this was fun. The audio was great and the story had a little of everything. I was glad that she left the recipes to the very end---I would not have wanted to listen to that during the actual story line. ( )
  nyiper | Nov 11, 2015 |
On the morning her sister went missing, Portia Cuthcart woke up to thoughts of blueberries and peaches.

With the glass kitchen,
Linda Francis Lee has served up a novel that is about the courage
it takes to follow your heart and be yourself.
A true recipe for life.

Portia Cuthcart never intended to leave Texas. Her dream was to run the Glass Kitchen restaurant her grandmother built decades ago. But after a string of betrayals and the loss of her legacy, Portia is determined to start a new life with her sisters in Manhattan . . . and never cook again. But when she moves into a dilapidated brownstone on the Upper West Side, she meets twelve-year-old Ariel and her widowed father Gabriel, a man with his hands full trying to raise two daughters on his own. Soon, a promise made to her sisters forces Portia back into a world of magical food and swirling emotions, where she must confront everything she has been running from. What seems so simple on the surface is anything but when long-held secrets are revealed, rivalries exposed, and the promise of new love stirs to life like chocolate mixing with cream.

The Glass Kitchen is a delicious novel, a tempestuous story of a woman washed up on the shores of Manhattan who discovers that a kitchen—like an island—can be a refuge, if only she has the courage to give in to the pull of love, the power of forgiveness, and accept the complications of what it means to be family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

"Portia Cuthcart and her two sisters find their way from Texas to Manhattan over the years, the heiresses to a dilapidated brownstone on the Upper West Side. Portia is running from a bad divorce and the knowledge that she has always been a little bit different, a little bit strange: the talented cook who knew exactly what to serve on what occasion, even to the point of predicting events that hadn't even happened yet. But she doesn't cook anymore. She has tamped down this "knowing." It has caused her way too many problems. When she meets twelve-year-old Ariel Kane, she sees a girl in desperate need of a mother and a family in dire need of fried chicken, biscuits, and strawberry rhubarb pie. Widowed Gabriel Kane has his hands full with two daughters on the cusp on womanhood, plus the Kane family have so many secrets and rivalries of their own. Ariel, especially, must find a way to bring them all together with the help of Portia: the non-cook, the non-believer in happy endings. Portia, who just might have to rethink the pages of her own story and take a few chances to claim what she wants deep down inside."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible