What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A…

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding: A Memoir

by Kristin Newman

i loved this one. I usually love reading memoirs, and can find the good in all of them, even if some tend to drag on in parts a bit.

This one wasn't like that at all. I enjoyed every page and every mile we traveled.
The writing is quick, witty, amusing, entertaining and engaging.

I could identify with Kristin all the way through. I haven't done near that amount of single vacationing, but I still get her. I hope she writes another memoir in a few years....I want to know how her story continues.

Beach read. ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
I loved this bravely honest tale of an American woman who traveled her way through her twenties and most of her thirties trying to find love (even if it was just for a night or two each time)and adventure. Her story is told through the voice of an experienced and talented comedy writer. This book speaks to the part of me who would have loved to done exactly what she did, but I didn't have the courage or financial ability to take the journey she took. A great mix of stories about the foreign lands she visited and the foreign men she spent time with, I was interested the whole way through. The fact that she had a happy ending definitely grounds her tales of singledom. I won this book via First Reads and am very glad I did. ( )
  mandersj73 | Apr 27, 2015 |

Kristin Newman's funny, sexy, and ultimately poignant debut memoir about mastering the art of the “vacationship.”

Kristin Newman spent her 20s and 30s dealing with the stresses of her high-pressure job as a television comedy writer, and the anxieties of watching most of her friends get married and start families while she wrestled with her own fear of both. Not ready to settle down and yet loathe to become a sad-sack single girl, Kristin instead started traveling the world, often alone, for a few months each year, falling madly in love with attractive locals who provided moments of the love she wanted without the cost of the freedom she needed.  She introduces readers to the Israeli bartenders, Argentinian priests, Finnish poker players, and sexy Bedouins who helped her transform into "Kristin-Adjacent" on the road—a quieter, less judgmental, and, yes, sluttier version of herself at home.

Ultimately, Kristin's adventures led her to a better understanding of what she was actually running away from at home and why every life hurdle seemed to put her on a transatlantic flight to the unknown. Equal parts laugh-out-loud storytelling; thoughtful, candid reflection; and wanderlust-inspiring travel tales, What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding is a compelling and hilarious debut that will have readers scrambling to renew their passports.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

"Kristin Newman's funny, sexy, and ultimately poignant debut memoir about mastering the art of the "vacationship." Kristin Newman spent her 20s and 30s dealing with the stresses of her high-pressure job as a television comedy writer, and the anxieties of watching most of her friends get married and start families while she wrestled with her own fear of both. Not ready to settle down and yet loathe to become a sad-sack single girl, Kristin instead started traveling the world, often alone, for a few months each year, falling madly in love with attractive locals who provided moments of the love she wanted without the cost of the freedom she needed. She introduces readers to the Israeli bartenders, Argentinian priests, Finnish poker players, and sexy Bedouins who helped her transform into "Kristin-Adjacent" on the road--a quieter, less judgmental, and, yes, sluttier version of herself at home. Ultimately, Kristin's adventures led her to a better understanding of what she was actually running away from at home and why every life hurdle seemed to put her on a transatlantic flight to the unknown. Equal parts laugh-out-loud storytelling; thoughtful, candid reflection; and wanderlust-inspiring travel tales, What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding is a compelling and hilarious debut that will have readers scrambling to renew their passports"--… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible