Casually Cursed (A Southern Witch Novel) by…

Casually Cursed (A Southern Witch Novel)

by Kimberly Frost

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Bryn and Tammy Jo are back again, this time to save her mother and her sister.

Opening Sentence: “From under the brim of a large straw hat, Melanie Trask glanced at her sister, Marlee, who tackled the weeds in their flower beds like they were vermin that might attack the house at any moment.”

The Review:

Tammy Jo is back and getting to know her twin sister, Kismet, for the first time. She has learned that her mother is dangerous, and for the first time ever they all leave Texas to travel to Ireland so they can save her. Bryn and Tammy Jo also have to overcome the Magic Association’s objections to their upcoming wedding. All while dodging Scottish werewolves and trying to outmaneuver the fae.

Tammy Jo, Kismet, Bryn, Zach and Aunt Edie all are involved in the dangerous quest to free Marlee. Tammy Jo also gets to meet her father, the fae knight, for the first time. Will they be able to save Marlee, or will Tammy Jo become the next member of her family to be held captive by the fae.

If you haven’t read any of this series, don’t read this review! Go back and start with Would-be Witch. This felt like the ending of the series, and as far as I can tell it is, but don’t quote me on that. I actually had read this series, so ha-ha, I didn’t have to go back and read them before reviewing this one. That being said, I didn’t quite love the last two books as much as the first three. There is still the humor, but I think the back and forth with Zach was kind of over done by the 4th book, and this one, I think all the new additions character wise, just took away from the charm the first three had.

I still enjoyed this, and like the rest of them Casually Cursed is a quick easy read. Tammy Jo is finally getting the hang of things, so not so much on the magical mishaps that are in the earlier books. Bryn is here, but he almost felt like an afterthought. I still can’t quite figure out why Zach was along and I adore Edie as always! This wasn’t a blow you away ending, but it did wrap all the loose ends and tie up the series so in that aspect it was great. If you enjoy wit, mishaps and big dose of southern these books are so for you!

Notable Scenes:

“Even before the child started hearing the wind whisper and the brooks babble, Tammy’s laughter sometimes sounded like wind chimes, musical and pretty, and vaguely unnatural.”

“She eyed him like he was a raptor who might in a blur of speed at any moment to attack us.”

“I had to keep that secret at all costs, and I’d almost let it slip out.”

“The last thing I should be doing was smiling, but when you’ve got friends and family close at your side, things don’t feel as bad.”

If we’d been standing at the top of that long stairwell, I would’ve give that Seelie queen a shove and pushed her right down it.”

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Casually Cursed. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | May 28, 2016 |

Fresh off her engagement to wizard Bryn Lyons, Tammy Jo is surprised to make another new family connection when she meets the twin sister she never knew she had. After being spirited away to the fae kingdom of Never as an infant, Kismet has finally escaped, and arrived in Duvall, Texas, with some terrible news: their mother, Marlee, is a prisoner of the Seelie fae. Crossing the ocean to battle the fae isn't Tammy Jo's idea of a romantic getaway, but Bryn refuses to let her go alone--as do her aunt Edie and her ex-husband Zach. Unfortunately, their plot to free Marlee is foiled when they are caught by the fae queen. And the only chance the queen gives them to save Marlee's life may be an impossible quest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible