Better Than Perfect by Kristina Mathews

Better Than Perfect

by Kristina Mathews

203515,329 (2.5)1

DNF. I really tried to like this novel but Alice and Johnny really made it hard for me to do so. First it's a slow-paced novel so at times I had to force myself to read it mostly when it wasn't holding my interest. Then after the novel was starting to get good, Alice decided to take her "three steps back" on her relationship with Johnny (at least that's how it looked to me) and basically ruined it for me. Therefore, when I was 70% of the way through I stopped reading.

I understand why Alice did what she did 14 yrs ago in the novel and respect her for putting up with a conniving jerk as a husband, but I don't like how she handles things in this novel with Johnny. She isn't a good heroine.

I don't recommend this novel. ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Alice loved Johnny in college but let him go to pursue his dream...baseball. And he did just that. He is now a famous player, she is a widowed mother when they are thrown together again. Neither of them have really moved on but Alice has a secret.

The story was predictable but still enjoyable for me. The connection was there. I just had a problem with both Alice & Johnny's actions at times. Very childish is the only way I know to describe it, which became annoying to read at times. (LOTS of misunderstandings. I'm all about the angst but this was more of drama.) Good ending though. Overall good sports romance read.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
  Books007 | Oct 1, 2014 |
This book drove me a little bit nuts. I got so tired of the constant back and forth between Johnny and Alice. At least once or twice each chapter they were changing their minds; sometimes in the same paragraph. It got tiresome. I felt like they were highschoolers instead of the 30 year olds that they were suppose to be. I actually thought this story was kinda depressing. I mean they are both constantly feeling sorry for themselves or each other and feeling so much guilt towards everybody. I did finish reading it though so it wasn't too bad. I think the kid, Zach, helped lighten it up somewhat. I probably won't be reading the next one, but I could see the appeal to readers who like sports themed romance books or second-chances.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Apr 17, 2014 |

More Than A Game, #1 The woman he left behind and the son he never knew are tougher opponents than any he?s met on the field. Pitcher Johnny (3zsThe Monk(3y sScottsdale has won awards, been named an All-star and has a perfect game to his credit. Known for his legendary control both on and off the field, his pristine public image makes him the ideal person to work with youth players in a preseason minicamp. Except the camp is run by the one woman he can?t forget?the woman who made him a (3zsmonk.(3y sAlice Harrison?s three strikes include an unexpected pregnancy, a marriage of convenience and young widowhood. She once traded her dreams so Johnny could have a chance at making it to the Majors. Johnny comes back into her life just as she?s ready to resign as foundation director and pursue her own dreams of finally earning her teaching credential. Her plans may go on hold, though, depending on the reaction when she confesses she may have kept a major league secret from Johnny and her son. With the minutes ticking by until Johnny will leave for spring training, they?ll need to let go of the past and work together in order to win the game of love. CONTENT WARNING: Some strong language, consummated love scenes83,204 Words… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible