Invisible Ellen by Shari Shattuck

Invisible Ellen

by Shari Shattuck

8619140,249 (3.72)5

English (20)  Piratical (1)  All (21)
This is a great read about an introverted woman who steps out of her shell to do the right thing and how it affects her life. The characters are great, I love Temerity, she is just what Ellen needs. A fun, feel good story! ( )
  mjolorenz | Jun 30, 2017 |
This compelling story follows Ellen, a young woman, obese, scarred literally and figuratively, overweight and abused as a child. She feels invisible, living a lonely, regimented life avoiding others until one day she runs into Temerity, a blind female violinist who befriends her and things start to change for Ellen. The story line is quite absurd but the friendship between the women is very moving and funny and you just want to root for Ellen. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel because I just got to find out what happens next to Ellen and Temerity. ( )
  JulieLill | Jul 25, 2016 |
Loved this story!! Heartwarming and exciting. Full of life and laughter. The power of friendship and what happens when we change our perspective and help others and love others. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had high hopes for this book considering I feel like I could relate to someone who never really stood out but more so always on the sidelines. I found it really hard to get into the story and not only that but it left a lot to be desired. I finished this book on the train and left it behind because I thought maybe someone else would enjoy it more then I did. I finished it and didn't DNF it, so I gave it 2 stars, but just left a lot to be desired in my opinion. ( )
  LauraMoore | Jun 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ellen prefers being unnoticed. unseen due to physical and psychological imperfections. When a blind woman sees into the heart of Ellen's small world, Ellen begins to change. She comes to realize that not everyone is as judgmental as she thinks and allows freedom to seek her own place in the world. Fast paced, absorbing, funny and touching. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  samaree | Mar 4, 2015 |

"Invisible Ellen is a heartfelt and moving portrait of life on the sidelines.  It is a book for anyone who has ever felt they didn't count.  And who hasn't felt that way at least once?  A lovely, compelling novel about a woman you won't soon forget."
—Kristin Hannah, #1 New York Times-bestselling author of Fly Away

In the bestselling tradition of Jennifer Weiner, a clever, funny yet poignant novel about the friendship between two absolutely unforgettable women.

For many of us, there comes a moment when we wish we were invisible.

For Ellen Homes, not only does she wish it . . . she actually lives it.

She spends her days quietly observing but unobserved, watching and recording in her notebooks the lives of her neighbors, coworkers, and total strangers. Overweight, socially stunted, and utterly alone, one night Ellen saves a blind young woman from being mugged.

Then everything changes.

Character-driven, poignant, and leavened with touches of humor and witty dialogue, Invisible Ellen is a remarkable novel about personal transformation, morality, the power of friendship, and the human need for connection with others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

Enduring a seemingly invisible existence on the sidelines, Ellen Homes records her observations of the world in notebooks until the night she saves a blind woman from a mugging, irrevocably transforming her own life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shari Shattuck's book Invisible Ellen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,123,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible