Broken Skies (Volume 1) by Theresa Kay

Broken Skies (Volume 1)

by Theresa Kay

465251,994 (4)None

This is one of the few science fiction books I have read, and I have to say BRING ON THE NEXT!!!!! WOW! The characters were completely believe able, I truly enjoyed the twist and turns the story takes. I read this book in one day, I was only going to read a few chapters before bed.

This is a story of a girl that has been living in a world where aliens coexist. While out of the safety of their town her brother is kidnapped by aliens. She must forge a unlikely friendship with an alien boy to find her brother. ( )
  BobbiJoBentz | Feb 12, 2017 |
If you are an alien lover or just a fan of scifi in general, this is definitely a book you want to pick up. It reminded me a lot of Lux, The 5th Wave, and Alienated, which btw all happen to be my favorite alien books.

Read the full review and more below at Southern Bred, Southern Read:
http://southernbredsouthernread.blogspot.com/2015/01/broken-skies-by-theresa-kay... ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

All reviews I read about this book were very positive so I was happy to request a copy myself even though I wasn't going to request any more books. It's no miracle my expectations were quite high when I started reading, but unfortunately I was disappointed quite early one as it turned out this book was not for me at all.

The setting is some post-apocalyptic America, with not one but two major 'disasters' in twenty years. First, the humans were almost wiped out completely. Survives were just trying to get on with their lives when the aliens landed. But for some reason they didn't invade really but moved into the cities that were already abandoned. They don't mix and most people have never even seen an alien.

They keep to their own in a very typical 'not many people have survived' setting, one that has decided that feminism must be the root of all evil. It's been thirty years since the apocalypse, people would still remember how thing were before!

As less females survived the apocalypse I can understand perhaps that they might be treated with some extra care. Although I firmly believe that everyone old enough to read YA is aware of the fact that you need more than just a womb to grow a baby. My biggest problem is that - and it's not just this book but it really annoyed me this time - for some reason they've decided that the best way to recreate civilization is to stop any kind of emancipation. Apparently worlds are best recreated when the women in the story wear long skirts, sit inside, look pretty and do embroidery. Oh, and grow babies. That's all. (But then again, why are young women given away as trophies to old men, who quite possibly are no longer capable of fathering a child?)

But Jax is not like the other girls. She's such a special snowflake. She wears jeans (oh my! People are actually commentating on her outfits a lot) and prefers hunting to embroidery classes. Even though she's such a rebel at the start, there are at least four guys fighting for her hand. Because she's so special. She meets an alien. Luckily for the rest of the story these aliens, who've only been her for such a short time -keep that in mind-, look just like humans. Almost indistinguishable from each other. Now, what are the odds! The aliens do have somewhat brighter-coloured hair and ornamental scales. Okay. In ten pages her mind switches from 'Kill him!' to 'Love him!', it really reads like instalove in the blink of an eye. Fast, even for instalove-standards.

The rest of the story wasn't much better, unfortunately. An unremarkable journey, an uninteresting relationship and oh, so shocking revelations that -surprise- didn't blow me away. I'd hoped for something more, but couldn't find it in this story.

Broken Skies is the first book in a new series.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Jax has heard the stories, seen the remains of what the world used to be, but she was born after the end, after mankind turned on itself and destroyed most of civilization. And then the aliens arrived.

The humans and aliens seem to live in relative peace, rarely interacting with each other and each occupying their own areas. So Jax is shocked to see a group of them take her brother -- even more so when she finds herself in the presence of one who just might be able to help her get him back. After all he'll never survive out there by himself, and she'll never get into the alien city without his help.

They'll have to escape the compound where Jax and Jace have been staying, find their way to the city where Lir's kind live, and somehow get in to find and save Jace. But their biggest obstacle will be overcoming their prejudices and learning to trust each other. And after that? It seems there's more to the aliens, to the humans, to everything around her than she ever imagined.

C L I F F H A N G E R. Have I mentioned how much I hate those? After a perfectly paced journey with just the right amount of danger and adventure, everything seemed to be building up to something incredible, and then --- Nope, no more story until the next book. Sorta ruined the 5-star thing I had planned.

I'm not your typical sci-fi fan. Most of the time I don't even give science fiction a second glance, but something about this story caught my attention, so I figured I'd give it a shot. And before I knew it, I was hooked.

Since civilization collapsed, society has devolved, with some humans roaming the countryside in lawless bands, and others coming together in settlements centered around archaic ideals. While seemingly secure from the aliens, the disproportionate ratio of women to men has resulted in assigned matches in the settlement where Jax and Jace have been living, with women expected to be docile and subservient. And Jax is anything but that.

Jax's character is complex, certainly dependent upon her brother and then on Lir, but also fighting to be independent. She's not so fierce that she's unbelievable; she's simply determined and unwilling to let anything stand in the way of her saving her brother. She's also got a few issues, made apparent by frequent panic attacks, stemming from an attack before the story begins. And while she defended herself, she's guilt-ridden by the necessary loss of life. The only person whose touch she can even stand is her brother's, although she soon discovers contact with Lir isn't at all unpleasant.

Lir is a bit of a mystery and a bit of a contradiction. Like all the aliens, he appears almost human. If it weren't for his odd hair and eye color, it would be hard to tell the difference. At times he's overly formal, but when he's relaxed, he's much like any human teenage boy. And it doesn't hurt that he's incredibly easy on the eyes. Unfortunately, I'd probably ruin a lot of the fun you'll have reading it if I give away much about him, and I suspect we'll learn quite a bit more in the next book, but suffice it to say, he's an incredibly interesting character that is easy to love.

I think what I like most about the book is that it isn't rushed. While I'll certainly complain that I have to wait to find out what happens next, the pacing throughout the book is perfect. It would have been easy, and probably a little expected, if Lir and Jax had almost instantly admitted their attraction, but it would have taken away from the rest of the story in the worst way. It makes sense that even though they're working together, they don't entirely trust each other, and while it's clear there's something strong developing between them, neither are in a place to just throw caution to the wind and go with it. Jax is hellbent on saving her brother from Lir's people, and Lir is desperate to get home and away from the humans who make no secret of their hatred for his species. Their unlikely pairing is necessary, but they're not naive enough to walk blindly into it. And as more and more about both societies is revealed, their relationship becomes not only more necessary, but more threatened.

Broken Skies is a captivating read, and it's appeal crosses genres. Whether you like sci-fi, dystopian, paranormal, or just anything with a hint of romance, check it out; it's got something for everyone.

***FicCentral received this book from Itching for Books for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Melissa Cushing's review
Mar 15, 14 · edit

5 of 5 stars
bookshelves: exceptional, favorites, first-reads, superb, kindle-books
Read from March 13 to 15, 2014

I LOVED this book! 5 of 5 STARS I do not know really where I should begin, other than the fact that I read this book in about 8 hours and found myself actually stalling because I did not want this fabulous book to end! This is an ARC Review that I received from the author in exchange for an honest review.... and HONESTLY... it rocks! This is one of the best reads I have come across in quite sometime. Here is a blurb from Goodreads to get you familiar...

In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived.

Until recently, the E’rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them… but now they have taken Jax’s brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad it’s not that simple.

Jax, who cannot stand to be touched, finds that’s she’s drawn to the alien boy with bright green hair and jewel-like scales down his back. And he’s equally affected by her, the courageous redhead with haunted eyes. But she doesn’t know the alien’s true motives and he has no idea that she is much more than she seems.

In this world where alien and human are at odds, the connection forming between the two has consequences. What started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society, but Earth itself.

OK...so as you can see this is a unique story. This is a cross of Dystopian and Science Fiction.... simply awesome! I truly loved it. The main characters are Jax and Lir... Jax is a Human girl and Lir is an E'rikon male, and I cannot stress enough how much I loved Lir and Jax's characters! Throw in Jace and Flint along with a few others, and you have an amazing read! The author did an amazing job developing each of her characters. I truly felt that I knew them all, minus the unanswered questions and plots going on, but the "unknown" is what makes it so very amazing! She did a great job with the plot of this unique story as well. It is an awesome story of survival, love, romance, and like I said earlier... a mix of dystopian and science fiction which is simply fabulous for me! Here are some of my favorites excerpts from this fabulous book! I CANNOT wait for book 2.... the author really left me on the edge of a cliff with this one, but that makes me love this amazing story even more! Check it out! You will NOT be disappointed! I really cannot stress this enough... here are my favorite excerpts....

This first excerpt is when Jax sneaks Lir back to the human camp to get ready to go on her rescue mission for her twin brother Jace....

Lir's eyes track the circular pattern of my pacing from his spot on the couch. Kitchen. Den. Hallway. Kitchen. Den. Hallway. This house has never felt so small. Adding the two bedrooms to my rotation would make it bigger, but the buzzing agitation in my head will only get worse if I go back into Jace's room. Because he's not there and he's not going to be there until I go get him... until I go into the woods by myself with an alien and get to the city... where there will be more aliens, probably lots of them... are they all as attractive as Lir?

Crap. There is something seriously wrong with me. And he's smiling like he finds this amusing.

This isn't going to work. But this has to work. I'm going to go off alone with this boy who is not my brother and I'm going to deal with it. Who cares if my fingers still itch to find out what the scales feel like? Who cares that he keeps looking at me like he's not quite sure what to make of me... and I don't even mind his eyes on me? What else can I possibly do? If I can't get a handle on myself...this isn't going to work. Gah. Even my thoughts are circular now.

Priorities would be...breathing, calming down, and.... "Stop looking at me!"

He jolts and averts his eyes. "Sorry?"

No longer under his gaze, the creeping freeze of anxiety slows and then stops. A few more circuits and I'm almost back to normal, well, normal for me anyway.

And this excerpt is Jax's thoughts on Lir during their travels to the city....

My original assessment of him really is spot on. He's beautiful.

During the day he looked at home in the woods, the green in his features blending with the forest. Now the fire light brings out the gold and, even dirty and exhausted, he shines. Too caught up in everything else, I hadn't noticed it last night. He has an inner light that is no where near human and I think it should bother me or maybe scare me, this otherworldly illumination. But all I want to do is move to him and bask in it. I'm drawn to him in a way I don't understand. That's what frightens me.

And last but not least... one of my favorite quotes from the end of this FABULOUS novel...... They are basically saying goodbye....for ONLY now...fingers crossed....

His face blurs behind the moisture building in my eyes. A single tear falls and tracks down my cheek. After a moment's hesitation, Lir moves forward and wipes it away with one finger and then cups my cheek with his hand. "I will keep you safe however I can." He leans forward and gently presses his lips to mine.

I don't want to be gentle. I use both hands and pull him in closer, pressing my lips so hard to his that it's almost painful. His mouth tilts and opens and I slide my tongue past his lips with a whimper. He groans and moves his other hand up until he has one on either side of my face. There's so much I need to say but there's no time to say it. I'm sorry. I need you. Thank you. Please don't leave me. I LOVE YOU.

The hitch in his breath is the only clue I have that something changes in that moment. I open my eyes at the sound, my lips still pressed against his, and he looks back at me in surprise.

OK.... What more can I say other than I LOVED this book! I was sad that it had to come to an end... and that really tells you what an amazing reading journey Theresa Kay took me on. This book will do the same for you! Check it out! Thanks so much to Theresa for allowing me to read this ARC copy.... I LOVED it! AWESOME! ( )
  mcushing7 | Mar 15, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,551,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible