Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover…

Thirty and a Half Excuses

by Denise Grover Swank

This third Rose Gardner mystery has Rose opening a nursery with her sister Violet and reluctantly investigating the deaths of a couple of elderly women. Joe is off on an an undercover assignment leaving Rose to depend on her friend Mason for support. Because of past actions, Joe and Mason do not get along which makes Joe jealous of Rose's relationship with Mason.

Rose also gets a job doing the landscaping around the new church in town. Jonah is a televangelist who is gaining parishioners at the expense of the other local churches. He also seems to be attracted to Rose which makes her unhappy because both Joe and Mason have warned her that Jonah and the church are under some kind of investigation.

Between Violet's marital troubles, Joe's socialite parents who are pressuring him to follow their plans and who hate Rose, and her investigation, Rose is in the middle of her usual chaos. What I like about Rose is that she does things because they are the right thing to do. She is a strong supporter of the underdog and the outsider because she has felt like an outsider all of her life. She also seems to have no concept of personal danger and stumbles into situations that are hazardous all the time. I like the way she is becoming stronger and more confident with each book.

I can't wait to read Rose's next adventure. I really want things to work out for her. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 27, 2015 |
Denise is a mad genius! She shocked and surprised me so many times in this book! I love that about her writing and it keeps me going back for more!
This is by far the best in the series and was an awesome page turner for me! I could not decide who I wanted to side with through much of the story…I love the Rose and Joe side…however I do think Mason is becoming a quick favorite for me.
This book did not disappoint in keeping me guessing and even cussing over some of the twists in this book…Love that!
I am quickly picking sides when it comes to so many characters; I think it’s because of how well Denise develops her characters. It is one of the things I love about her writing, that in the way she draws you in and then hits you like a truck with her sneaky twists!
In saying that, things are never what they appear and Denise has quite a knack for reminding us in her writing. I often find myself really questioning why I dislike someone in all her books as I find later they had the best intentions and I totally judged them too quickly. As is the case with many of the characters in this book!
This is by far my favorite in this series and I am completely irked that I have to wait to read the next book!!
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |

Life in Henryetta, Arkansas is turned upside down with "the arrival of a televangelist, but it's the death of a little old lady on Rose's street that catches her attention. The local police deem her death to be of natural causes, but Rose suspects foul play and so does an unlikely supporter - the president of the Busy Body Club, her eighty-two year old neighbor Mildred"--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible