Hidden by Benedict Jacka

Hidden

by Benedict Jacka

Series: Alex Verus (5)

Hidden shakes things up in Alex's world as friends come and go, and old enemies resurface. This book focuses heavily on Anne, who is gradually becoming a more compelling character. I suspect that Mr. Jacka is building up to a romantic relationship between Anne and Alex, and at first, I kept saying to myself, "Her?" (Thanks, Arrested Development.) But this book officially killed my perception of Anne as bland, and I look forward to seeing her kick more ass in future books. In short, Hidden is yet another entertaining read that leaves me eager to get my hands on Alex's next adventure. ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
I actually finished this book a few weeks ago - I read it in one or two sittings. This is, in my opinion, the best Alex Verus book so far (although you do need to have read the previous books in order to know what's going on).

A weakness of previous books was - in my opinion - Alex's isolation. Pretty much everyone in his world was against him, and, for the earlier books, the secondary characters (e.g. his apprentices) were much less powerful than he was and featured more as people Alex needed to protect than true comrades. In Hidden much of that appears to be changing. It's no longer quite Alex-against-the-world (which gets old after a while), and I think it's a vast improvement because the greater participation of other characters allows a richer story.

And, of course, we get to see much more of Anne - who is one of my favourite characters - and learn more about why she is the way she is.

I am greatly looking forward to the next book in the series, [b:Veiled|23236738|Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)|Benedict Jacka|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1421862439s/23236738.jpg|42780952]. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
I can't seem to get enough of this series! With each book, the characters grow and the magical world expands to new and exciting heights! I thought Elsewhere was a neat concept, but this book introduces us to shadow realms or "little pocket realities" to the real world. Let's just say that Sagash's shadow realm is far from little and there is a lot going on inside.

As always, the writing and magical battles were top notch. I loved it!
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This might be my favorite book in the series so far. I love the direction that it is heading. Great series! ( )
  thealtereggo | Feb 26, 2016 |
Moves Verus' life along a bit. Good read, not stunningly exciting. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 5, 2015 |

Benedict Jackaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell Square is one of the odder areas of London. Squeezed between Euston Road to the north and Holborn to the south, it doesn't have enough shops to be commercial and it doesn't have enough houses to be residential. Instead it has a mix of universities and hotels, rich tourists and poor students rubbing shoulders in the busy streets. It's supposed to be “literary,” associations from the old Bloomsbury group, though given that you'd have to be a millionaire to own property there nowadays I doubt you'll find many artists living in the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425264947, Mass Market Paperback)

With his talent for divining the future, Alex Verus should have foreseen his friends’ reactions to the revelations about his previous life. Anne Walker no longer trusts him—and has also cut all ties with the mage community after getting kicked out of the apprentice program. As a favor to Luna, Alex’s own apprentice and Anne’s best friend, he checks in on her only to be told to leave her alone.

Then Anne gets kidnapped. The Council Keepers of the Order of the Star believe Dark mages from her past may be involved. Working with the Keepers, Alex and Luna discover that Anne has been taken into the shadow realm of Sagash, her former Dark mage mentor, and they must find a way to rescue her.

But another shadow from the past has resurfaced—Alex’s former master may be back in London, and Alex has no idea what his agenda is…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

When Anne Walker, who has cut all ties with the mage community after getting kicked out of the apprentice program, is kidnapped, Alex Versus, with his talent for divining the future, must journey deep into the shadow realm of Sagash to rescue this woman who no longer trusts him.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,375,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible