The River by Beverly Lewis

The River

by Beverly Lewis

I liked this book well enough, but not as well as some of the other Beverly Lewis books. I don't know why, but it took me a long time before I warmed up to Tilly and I somehow figured she was probably not the biological daughter of her mother's husband and the father of her siblings. It was a bit of a tragic tale and I almost cried at times. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 25, 2016 |
Two sisters who were raised Amish but are now “English” have returned to the old homestead to celebrate their parents’ wedding anniversary with the extended family. The relationship between the oldest daughter, Tilly, and her father has always been strained. The death of the youngest daughter by drowning and the fact that some blame Tilly for enticing her sister Ruth to the English world just adds fuel to the fire. Other complications in this tale include an unresolved romance between an Amish man and Ruth and the life-threatening illness of the father. Though this story had potential, I found that it was trite and superficial. The characters seemed two-dimensional and plot was predictable. Though it did explore familial relationships, it just wasn’t that well written. ( )
  Maydacat | Mar 7, 2016 |
This is a lovely book. It deals with several issues. This story is good as again. Beverly get you reader involves and keep you on in the book. It tell you the story about two sisters, Will Tilly and Ruth find their peace? Do They resolve their relationships? The family need to settle their issues with both sister that left the faith.

The sister find out their father is ill. It might be their last time for them to get together. There is a secret about one of the sisters that left. Their mother and their father are the ones that know what happen. Tilly finds out why she at odds with her father. They all have to deal with what happen at the river. It also heal some relationships in the family when they go to the River. I think this would be a good book for those that enjoy a little mystery though it does not have many but a few. One is the mystery is about their little sister. A another other with Tilly. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Jan 19, 2016 |
If Beverly Lewis is the author, you are assured 100% you will be reading a good book. This one is another in a line of many of excellent stories! The River is a wonderful example that all families have conflicts, even the Amish.
Tilly left her Amish life and married an Englisher. Her sister Ruth also made the choice to leave. She and Tilly have a close bond, but still love and miss their family. Tilly is very happy with her twin girls and her new life. You can only imagine the discord this created with their Amish family.
A brother calls and invites them to come to a celebration of their parent’s anniversary. Due to the difficult relationship with her family, especially her father, both girls decide not to attend. Ruth receives another call telling of their father’s bad health which influences them to go. Having been several years since they have been home, they are understandably anxious about the reception they will receive.
As I read I could actually feel the tension and uneasiness Tilly felt. Some of her family received her with open arms, others were distant, but her Dad was as he had always been toward her, unloving and critical. She was the only child in the family he treated so harshly. She decides to stay and her uncle and aunt’s house to ease the situation. Tilly not only is confronted with her father’s lifetime rejection of her, but also guilt involving the death of her younger sister years ago. She blamed herself for the little one’s drowning, when she was supposed to be watching her.
Misunderstandings and unknown facts can cause a family to fall into a trap of living in conflict, hurting one another, and never experiencing the closeness they could have. Ms. Lewis weaves a beautiful story of a family finding their way back to each other amid great conflict with in and among themselves. Through forgiveness, love, and confronting their inner hearts, they find their way back. The story has many surprises and made me think of how longstanding secrets can cause people to act in ways we don’t understand. You will want to read this book!
I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | May 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While, in the end, I enjoyed the story in Beverly Lewis's latest novel of Lancaster County, I had a really hard time getting into this one. I didn't find many of the characters likable and had trouble identifying them. She has written so well for so long, so I won't stop reading her books, but I have to say this one was kind of a miss for me. ( )
  curls_99 | Dec 5, 2014 |

Top Author in Amish Fiction

Formerly Amish, Tilly Lantz Barrows and her younger sister Ruth Lantz find themselves plagued by the memories of their family's trauma when they return to Eden Valley for their parents' landmark wedding anniversary. Each woman carries a burden of past guilt, unknown to the other, along with unresolved relationships with their six married brothers...and aging parents. Headstrong Tilly urged Ruth to flee the People as well, welcoming her into the fancy English world. Neither had joined the Amish church. Tilly has since married and is the mother of identical twin girls. But Ruth remains single, still smarting from a failed courtship with her first beau. When she sees Will Kauffman again, old feelings resurface, leaving her to ponder anew how things might be different had she stayed in Lancaster County.

Meanwhile, Tilly is faced with a life-altering discovery that calls everything she knows into question. As past meets present, Tilly and Ruth struggle to find redemption and embrace acceptance. Can they face the future in the light of a past they can't undo?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:36 -0400)

"When two sisters return home for a visit after leaving the Amish world, both are troubled by the secrets--and the people--they left behind"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Lewis's book The River was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

3 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764212451, 0764212737, 0764212745

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible