The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of…

The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap (2014)

by Matt Taibbi

Put it away after hitting p. 178 or so, just because it was the same stuff over and over. Taibbi is correct in all he observes, but for my part, there's not much news here. ( )
  pgiltner | Oct 30, 2017 |
This book provides an excellent answer on what is wrong with the system. Taibbi's hypothesis is that the system is deliberately set up so that the poor and the middle classes only get poorer, so that education and training are worth nothing, and money is worth everything. A really sad commentary on American society today. ( )
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |
Required reading. ( )
  KRoan | Jun 3, 2016 |
This book is damning indictment of the American legal system from two directions. From the bottom up, poor people and people of color deal with a "gotcha" legal system that criminalizes the fact of being poor, or non-white, or both. From the top down, the financial services industry -- the people who brought you the world financial crisis -- are exempt from any real punishment. Both sets of people are part of a Kafkaesque system, but while the poor must cope with it, the rich float above it, for the most Kafkaesque of reasons: too big to fail. This is a hard book to read, because Taibbi makes the experiences of the victims of the system painfully real, and the insousiance of the white collar criminals hard to bear. It's well worth reading, however: you won't forget it. ( )
  annbury | Jan 22, 2016 |
This was a great read. I was unfamiliar with Taibbi before this book. He does an awesome job of taking complex situations and breaking them down to a point that even someone as intelligent as I am can understand it. This book discusses the divide between the rich and the not so rich. whether is it insider trading, or a night shift bus driver getting ticketed for obstruction of traffic for standing on the sidewalk. This book made me very angry throughout many parts because of the injustices being done. I don't know what we can do about it but i appreciate Mr. Taibbi opening my eyes to it. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

Matt Taibbiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crabapple, MollyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher MCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fairness is what justice is. - Potter Stewart
For Max
(Introduction) Over the course of the last 20 years or so, America has been falling deeper and deeper into a bizarre statistical mystery.
Tuesday, July 9, 2013, a blisteringly hot day in New York City.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081299342X, Hardcover)

A scathing portrait of an urgent new American crisis

Over the last two decades, America has been falling deeper and deeper into a statistical mystery:

Poverty goes up. Crime goes down. The prison population doubles.
Fraud by the rich wipes out 40 percent of the world’s wealth. The rich get massively richer. No one goes to jail.

In search of a solution, journalist Matt Taibbi discovered the Divide, the seam in American life where our two most troubling trends—growing wealth inequality and mass incarceration—come together, driven by a dramatic shift in American citizenship: Our basic rights are now determined by our wealth or poverty. The Divide is what allows massively destructive fraud by the hyperwealthy to go unpunished, while turning poverty itself into a crime—but it’s impossible to see until you look at these two alarming trends side by side.

In The Divide, Matt Taibbi takes readers on a galvanizing journey through both sides of our new system of justice—the fun-house-mirror worlds of the untouchably wealthy and the criminalized poor. He uncovers the startling looting that preceded the financial collapse; a wild conspiracy of billionaire hedge fund managers to destroy a company through dirty tricks; and the story of a whistleblower who gets in the way of the largest banks in America, only to find herself in the crosshairs. On the other side of the Divide, Taibbi takes us to the front lines of the immigrant dragnet; into the newly punitive welfare system which treats its beneficiaries as thieves; and deep inside the stop-and-frisk world, where standing in front of your own home has become an arrestable offense. As he narrates these incredible stories, he draws out and analyzes their common source: a perverse new standard of justice, based on a radical, disturbing new vision of civil rights.

Through astonishing—and enraging—accounts of the high-stakes capers of the wealthy and nightmare stories of regular people caught in the Divide’s punishing logic, Taibbi lays bare one of the greatest challenges we face in contemporary American life: surviving a system that devours the lives of the poor, turns a blind eye to the destructive crimes of the wealthy, and implicates us all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

"Matt Taibbi's genius is in untangling complex stories and making us care about them by providing striking moral clarity and a genuine sense of outrage. He has become among the most read journalists in America, leading the dialogue with epic Rolling Stone pieces that offer an "almost startling reminder of the power of good writing" (Washington Post). In this new work, he once again takes readers into the biggest, most urgent story in America: a widening wealth gap that is not only reshaping our economic life, but changing our core sense of right and wrong. The wealthy 1% operate with near impunity, while everyone else finds their very existence the subject of massive law enforcement attention: from stop-and-frisk programs and the immigrant dragnet to invasive surveillance and the abuse of debtors. Driven by immersive reporting, this is a stunning look into the newest high-stakes divide in our country: between a lawless aristocracy of hyperwealth and the rest of us, living under the shadow of an incipient American police state"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible