In a Handful of Dust by Mindy McGinnis

In a Handful of Dust

by Mindy McGinnis

I didn't like as much as I liked the first book but it was still just as strong.

This book follows a teenaged Lucy being brought up by grown-up Lynn. A disease is running through the now close community that Lynn secluded herself from and the only two possible sources for it are Lucy and her best friend Carter. The community is forced to cast them out and prevent the contagious person from contaminating their water sources. The two are told to travel in the opposite direction and Lucy is accompanied by Lynn who is determined to help her survive.

They run into trouble many times but Lucy dreams of the day she finally makes it to the California shoreline where there are rumors of water plants purifying the salty ocean into drinkable water.

I feel like the stakes were much higher in this sequel and it was much more intense but I think I didn't like Lucy very much. She's literally the only reason I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first book. I could excuse her actions as a little five-year-old but now she was just annoying. Other than that this one was solid and deserves no less than four stars. ( )
  Jessika.C | Apr 24, 2018 |
Liked it a lot but thought the end needed a lot more. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
This was such a wonderful addition (and a heartbreaking conclusion) to this duology. Seeing the havoc that disease was wreaking on the small Ohio community and the subsequent forced travel of Lynn and Lucy was quite stark for a YA novel, but I found it to be enjoyable and probably close to what the reality would be.

Reading through Lucy's eyes was not nearly as enjoyable as Lynn's in the first book. She (Lucy) really did suffer from sheltered child syndrome which in this world, often led her to precarious situations that she got out of by only dumb luck or by Lynn's assistance. She wasn't terrible, but I wish this focused on Lynn more.

The people in Vegas were a suspicious lot right from the get go and the revelations about them actually had me feeling super queasy. I am so glad that Lynn was smart about the whole thing even when Lucy went nuts.

The ending was very well done I think because it left my heart breaking and desperately wishing that there was a third book because there are so many questions that I want answered. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
There's plenty of excitement in this second book. Ms. McGinnis takes her characters on the road for a story that is very different from "Not a Drop to Drink". Lynn and Lucy encounter much in the way of brutality, but also wonderful bits of humanity and there is a lovely section where they share their journey with horses whom they come to love. A great follow-up novel. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 7, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006219853X, Hardcover)

Fans of classic frontier survival stories as well as readers of dystopian literature will enjoy this futuristic story about an epic cross-country journey. In a Handful of Dust is set ten years after the first novel, Not a Drop to Drink, as a dangerous disease strikes the community where teenage Lucy lives. When her adoptive mother, Lynn, takes Lucy away from their home and friends in order to protect her, Lucy struggles to figure out what home means. During their journey west to find a new life, the two face nature's challenges, including hunger, mountains, and deserts.

New York Times bestselling author Michael Grant says Not a Drop to Drink is a debut "not to be missed," and this companion title is full of Mindy McGinnis's evocative, spare language matched with incredible drama and danger. In a Handful of Dust is perfect for fans of Partials, Enclave, and Legend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

"In a barren land, teenage Lucy is taken away from the community she has grown up in and searches the vast countryside for a new home"--

Mindy McGinnis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,234,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible