Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay

Princess of Thorns

by Stacey Jay

Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: modern retelling of a fairytale by same author
    Cinder by Marissa Meyer (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Modern day fairytale retelling
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Modern fairytale retelling

This was such a disappointment. It started out so strong but the "climax" was so utterly disappointing. I came so close to dnf ing it. ( )
  Shiinale | Jul 7, 2017 |
IÛªm a sucker for a fairytale with a happily ever after. I‰Ûªll pick that over almost any other genre, except historical fiction/romance. This book delivered a happily ever after, but it was nail-bitingly close to failing miserably. However, it all worked out in the end

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. It was very well written, and had a nice flow. It never got boring, and there was always something happening. I enjoy stories where the heroine fights for herself and doesn‰Ûªt rely on men to do everything for her, and Aurora fit this description perfectly. Not once did she sit back and let Niklaas do all of the hard work. Sometimes she even knew more than Niklaas did, and I really liked that. The story had just the right touch of magic, action, and romance for it all to come together in a neat package. I would recommend Princess of Thorns to anyone looking for an enjoyable fairytale with a female hero where everyone gets their happily ever after.

Full review at nerdybookgirl.blogspot.com. ( )
  katybenben | Feb 19, 2017 |
Sleeping Beauty's daughter has a very different set of gifts than her mother did. Knowing that she was about to die, Sleeping Beauty passed on to her daughter Aurora her fairy gifts, but she shaped them into weapons for her daughter to use against her enemies. Rather than being sweet and lovely, Aurora is strong and fast, the perfect fairy-blessed fighter -- and she'll need all of her gifts to avenge her dead parents and take back her kingdom from the usurping ogres who seek to kill her. She'll also need the help of cursed Prince Niklaas, who is trying to find a way to escape his fate. Probably best if he doesn't know she's a girl, though, right?

I enjoyed a lot of things in this story, though a few bothered me. There's the usual, but nonetheless tiresome, problem in romances -- namely, if the two characters would just talk to each other, so many problems could be avoided. However, I was impressed at how a certain plot twist was handled -- it kept me guessing.

I listened to the audiobook, and found it well-narrated, with good pacing to keep the listener engaged. If you like this sort of fantasy with fairy tale elements and female warriors, this is one you might want to check out. ( )
  foggidawn | Sep 20, 2016 |
A wonderful book that takes the traditional tale of Sleeping Beauty and recreates it into a knock down fairytale for the new age. The author tells the story of a young woman named Aurora, who is both enchanted and cursed by the Fae. Raised by the magical and exposed to the mystical arts, Aurora is forced to hide her true appearance when ogres invade her nation and kill her family. Her brother, kidnapped by the Ogre queen, has proclaimed that she will sacrifice one of the enchanted children. Determined to save her brother, Aurora sets out to rewrite the story of Sleeping Beauty that is well known to the average reader of today. The author brings in characters such as Prince Niklaas, who expose the old stereotypes of past fairy tales. Dogmas such as feminine weakness, frailness, beauty, and fighting ability are torn to pieces and Prince Niklass is exposed to Aurora’s abilities. Although she is disguised in appearance, it is later in the story that the true lesson of the tale is taught. It is the simple phrase, ‘you cannot judge a book by its cover’.

I really enjoyed this story and I must thank both the author and Goodreads for sending it to me in a giveaway. It was a delight and I had a great time reading it. I really enjoyed it and it was a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting the story line and enjoyed how it began and ended. It was wonderful. I am excited about this book and I really am looking forward to more stories from the author! I highly recommend it to everyone. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Jul 30, 2016 |
This was an interesting retelling of two different fairy tales, sort of. The Sleeping Beauty part was what happened when the wrong prince woke her up at the wrong time. The Swan Brother’s was when the King wanted to live forever and he gets his sons cursed for that. I know that Aurora and Niklaas had to fall in love but I really liked them as friends. They were good friends but because of the demands of the plot they had to become more. I also wanted to spend more time with the ogre queen. She is very interesting, she believes that she is saving the world but she discovers that is not true. I wanted to see what made her first doubt her brother, what was that last thing that drove her to search for answers. But we do not get that. Instead we get a very forced and awkward romance between Aurora and Niklaas.

I give this book a Three out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038574322X, Hardcover)

Game of Thrones meets the Grimm’s fairy tales in this twisted, fast-paced romantic fantasy-adventure about Sleeping Beauty’s daughter, a warrior princess who must fight to reclaim her throne.

Though she looks like a mere mortal, Princess Aurora is a fairy blessed with enhanced strength, bravery, and mercy yet cursed to destroy the free will of any male who kisses her. Disguised as a boy, she enlists the help of the handsome but also cursed Prince Niklaas to fight legions of evil and free her brother from the ogre queen who stole Aurora’s throne ten years ago.

Will Aurora triumph over evil and reach her brother before it’s too late? Can Aurora and Niklaas break the curses that will otherwise forever keep them from finding their one true love?

Praise for Juliet Immortal
“The bones of the classic Beauty and the Beast story are all here, imaginatively fleshed out with tropes from science fiction, fantasy, even political drama. . . . Will please readers who like to believe that fairy tales can come true, even under dire circumstances.” —The Bulletin, Recommended

Praise for Of Beast and Beauty
“The romance is intense, and so is the horror in this strong reversal of the Romeo and Juliet story. . . . Teens will enjoy the macabre fantasy story of forbidden love.” —Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible