A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

A Wicked Thing

by Rhiannon Thomas

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay (flying_monkeys)
    flying_monkeys: If, after reading A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas, you feel like Princess Aurora was too passive or took too long to take action, BUT you enjoyed A Wicked Thing's court intrigue and politics, you may want to check out Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay, which has been described as 'Game of Thrones' meets the Brothers Grimm.… (more)

After 100 years of slumber, a prince’s kiss brings Aurora back to life...a world she no longer recognizes. Is this the happily ever after everyone was promised?
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 29, 2017 |
A quick read that takes a new approach to the sleeping beauty fairy tale. In this version, Aurora awakes with a lot of questions and to a much changed kingdom. A compelling story that makes for fast reading, and one I'll be eager to see continue in the next book in the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 3, 2016 |
This book was wonderful. It was a thoughtful and fully realized retelling of the Sleepy Beauty fairy tale. I was very pleased to see the concepts of free will/destiny and consent were addressed - a fact I view as especially important in the Sleepy Beauty tale. The story took several surprising turns and kept me turning the pages well into the night. Convincing characters in a magical world make this a highly recommended fairy tale retelling. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Feb 26, 2016 |
DNF at 220 pages.

I'm sad to report that this book is just not holding my attention. I'm bored and I don't particularly care about the characters or what's (not) happening to them. I really thought I'd love this one and I'm pretty disappointed that I don't. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
Imagine waking up one day to find that your family is long dead, you've been asleep for a hundred years, and you're now expected to marry the complete stranger who just woke you up by kissing you. That's Aurora's life in a nutshell. While she slept, the kingdom moved on, power changing hands in dramatic and tempestuous ways while Aurora slumbered in the sealed tower, visited only occasionally by princes hoping to wake her with a kiss. Rodric, the one who finally achieves this feat, is the sweet but unexciting son of the current rulers, who plan to use Aurora's waking to solidify their political position. He's not the only prince on hand, though, as Prince Finnegan, heir to a neighboring kingdom, pays a visit to welcome (and flirt with) Aurora. Finnegan is everything Rodric is not: dashing, adventurous, charming. Meanwhile, revolution is brewing among the common people, as Aurora learns when she sneaks out of the castle in disguise. She meets a handsome revolutionary who makes her question the current king's rule and his treatment of the common people. But Aurora is a figurehead, a puppet -- and, thanks to her overprotective parents who locked her up due to her curse, that's all she's ever been. Can she change things by stepping away from the fairy-tale ending with Rodric -- or would she be better off trying to change things by staying with him and working at making things better when she is his queen?

I liked this Sleeping Beauty retelling, but I didn't love it. There's plenty of good stuff in terms of court intrigue, and some of the plot twists did surprise me. On the other hand, I think some readers will find that the pacing lags as Aurora spends a great deal of time trying to decide what to do. In my opinion, this suits her character and her circumstances, but readers looking for a fast and gripping read might disagree. Also, it's obvious from the somewhat inconclusive ending that this will be the first book in a series. Will I read on? Perhaps, if I come across the sequel and I'm in the mood to see what becomes of Aurora. Do I recommend this? Yes, but probably only to devoted fans of the genre, not to those who are trying out fairy tale retellings for the first time. ( )
  foggidawn | Jun 23, 2015 |
For Phoebe
who shares every story
and read this one first.
She woke up with a kiss.

Not a birds-singing, heart-stopping, world-ending sort of kiss. A light spot of pressure on her lips.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible