Rising Tide: Dark Innocence (The Maura…

Rising Tide: Dark Innocence (The Maura DeLuca Trilogy) (Volume 1)

by Claudette Melanson

3 SOLID STARS

I'm currently harboring really mixed feelings about this book, well to be honest, i'm slightly disappointed, I didn't downright love it, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless.

I already had an ideas of the story before reading it however while doing so I was kind of confused of the outcome.

I was like " this should be about bloodsuckers and mainly blood but it's not, and essentially it left me asking (what's the point when the action in this one is minimum?!)"

well, from what I could understand, the first installment is this trilogy is only an introduction to Mauras life and how she developed throughout the story, which is kind of impressive.
because, instead of jumping directly in the story and then explain Maura's life in flash backs and fill-in-the-gap thoughts, she actually lay it all out in her first book.

I truly appreciate the authors efforts, the story, the details, the characters... for a debut it's great

by the way I loved maura's mom (not at first) but she did grow on me, however Maura was getting on my nerves constantly.
her state of denial was mindblowing, like WHAT! and I think I broke my eyes due to my excessive eyerolling, my screams of frustration could be heard from a mile away.
"THAT'S HOW ANNOYED I AM WITH HER!"

now that I got that out of my chest, let's dicuss the ending.
while it was obvious I did not mind and I kind of liked it, because let's be real this is a CLASSICAL vampire novel what did you expect reviewers?!

Overall I'm happy to say that I enjoyed this read and I hope I'll get to the next one soon. ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Sep 2, 2015 |
Maura DeLuca is coming to the end of her Junior year of high school. Most of her high school career has been uneventful, with no real friends, Maura spends most of her time with her single and very overprotective mother, Caelyn. That is until, Caelyn informs Maura that they will be moving to Vancouver, Canada at the end of the school year. Once news of Maura's departure spreads, many of the popular kids want to invite Maura out suddenly. When Maura's encounter with the popular crowd turns sour, Maura discovers an anger inside her. Along with it she notices strange changes, something is happening to her teeth, her hair won't stop growing, her aversion to the sun seems worse and she has a craving for raw, bloody, meat. The one good thing that came out of her Junior year is a new boyfriend, Ron. Ron is perfect in every way. He is understanding of Maura's changes, and Caelyn even approves, too bad Maura is moving away in a few weeks. Maybe she'll use the time to figure out what is wrong with her.

This was an interesting YA paranormal read. It does fall into many of the same patterns as some other YA paranormal, but is still engaging. The first part really grabbed me, Maura seemed like a kindred spirit that I could easily relate to. The writing easily conveyed Maura's emotional struggle as she dealt with school bullies, her mother's rules and the changes going on within her. The romance with Ron is really sweet and easy, I hope something more develops there. It also seems that Ron may know more about Maura then she does herself, maybe he is hiding a secret, too. The one thing that bothered me throughout the book is that once Maura caught on that something was different about herself, her mother did not do a great job reassuring her or just plain telling her what it was. It is painfully obvious to the reader what is different about Maura, it is also obvious that her mother knows what is happening, but she almost waits until it is too late to reveal it to Maura. Also,the pacing in the second half of the book, after Maura moves to Vancouver, is a little slow. The second part alternates between Maura trying to figure out what is wrong with her and missing Ron. The ending is slightly abrupt as it is revealed to Maura what she truly is; however I still look forward to the next installment to see what Maura does with this knowledge.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Jul 28, 2015 |
This story is a fun and sometimes extremely frustrating read. The tone is light, informal and very straightforward. The succinct style of writing is at times a little sophomoric and at other times just what is needed (when used in the right places it reminded me of Divergent's style of writing). The premise was enough to keep me reading but not anything groundbreaking by far. In fact, the reader waits the whole book for the story to catch up with what the reader, VERY obviously, already knows. There aren't any major plot twists and the ending is so obvious it's painful BUT it was fun and interesting enough to make me want to read the next book in the series. ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |
  BethYacoub | Dec 30, 2014 |
Rising Tide: Dark Innocence by Claudette Melanson is a wonderfully dark and mysterious tale. Author Melanson immediately draws you into her story with her rich, descriptive and natural writing that allows her characters to develop with a natural ease and fluidity that makes you feel like you are not only reading the story but experiencing it.

Readers will immediately become enchanted with Maura or Mink as she is nick-named, and find themselves immersed in her life. She is a high school junior that lives in a small Pennsylvania town and has always lived a quiet life and kept to herself. She is not real social at school and has been devoted only to her mom and her grades. As her mom springs the news on her that they are moving to Vancouver British Columbia, Mink’s life becomes filled with love, adventure, mystery and suspense.

You will learn of Mink’s unique relationship with her mom Caelyn. Caelyn is truly in love with Mink’s father but tragically carries the sadness and loneliness of his disappearance shortly before Mink’s birth. Although a successful business woman, Caelyn has not allowed herself to let go of his disappearance and Mink tries to be the support her mom needs.

Also, the kids that Mink has known for years have suspiciously befriended her after years of not wanting anything to do with her. As you go deeper into the story you find out if they can be trusted or if they have ulterior motives as Caelyn believes.

Just a luck would have it Mink has a budding friendship with Ronnie Stine who she has an unbelievably heavy crush on. Now with the move to Vancouver looming over the horizon Mink finds herself not wanting to move from this small town.

Mysteriously Mink’s appearance has changed. Other people have commented on her hair being so shiny and Mink has noticed it being thicker and with dark highlights throughout. With everything going on in her life she is also trying to make sense of her changing appearance.

Author Melanson will have you reading into the wee hours of the night navigating through the mysterious twists and unexpected turns of Mink’s life. Just as you come to a climactic conclusion you will find yourself wanting more and eagerly awaiting the next installment of The Maura DeLuca Trilogy. I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | Sep 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible