Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane Paranormal…

Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane Paranormal Investigations)

by Alexis Hall

263415,071 (4)1

The main character kept displaying her hard boiled detective status by making dumb moves and drooling over all the women in the neighborhood. I thought she relied too much on luck and refusing to admit mistakes, and I couldn't understand what any of her friends (or scores of exes) ever saw in her.
  ejmam | Feb 27, 2015 |
4.75 star review by Karen, posted at ScuttlebuttReviews
Iron and Velvet, the first in the Kate Kane series, was the first book I reviewed, and Hall’s Glitterland was the first MM romance I ever read. So why did it take so long to read this? I procrastinated big time, I think because I felt that in some way it would disappoint, which would make me sad. As if!
One of my favourite books is The Thin Man, by Dashiell Hammet, and Shadows & Dreams, like Iron & Velvet before, pays homage in part to those wise-cracking detective novels.
But it’s so much more than a detective story. There are vampires and werewolves, faeries and nymphs, demons, animated marble statues, and angry unicorns. At times it feels like there is too much happening, then it’s pulled back and all the complicated strands just work.
Kate is a fascinating character, louché and self deprecating; yet irresistible to most of the women who come her way. Her personality, combined with Elise’s very literal nature, makes for a very funny relationship. All the way through Kate’s sarcastic tone really cuts through everything. I laugh more at Alexis Hall’s book than I do at any others.
It relatively long for a modern read, which allows for some seriously complicated elements making it part paranormal fantasy, part soap opera, part end of the world which rests on Kate Kane’s shoulders.
A friend of mine praises the locations of Shadows & Dreams; this is not an Englandshire book, most of the London locations are gritty and as un-glamorous as you can get which despite the subject matter, makes it all the more real.
I would say that you don’t have to read Iron & Velvet first, but you will appreciate Shadows & Dreams more if you do.
Highly recommended. ( )
  ScuttlebuttReviews | Sep 25, 2014 |
Snow was falling through silver mist on the Dream of a city.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible