W. B. Yeats: Selected Poetry by William…

W. B. Yeats: Selected Poetry (original 1991; edition 1990)

by William Butler Yeats

Member:dylanwolf
Title:W. B. Yeats: Selected Poetry
Authors:William Butler Yeats
Info:
Collections:Poetry
Tags:Poetry

Selected Poems by W. B. Yeats (1991)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
I actually knew Sweet Fanny Adams about Yeats before going into this book. His works are some of the saddest I've ever read, especially "Politics", written a year before his death. As the poems in this volume are arranged in chronological order, you can see his movement from a young, impassioned poet, obsessed with Irish myth and legend and seeking to tie it into the Revolution, to an old man who is simply tired of war. I would sincerely suggest taking a snowy or rainy day and sitting down and reading this little paperback in its entirety. ( )
  themythicalcodfish | Dec 3, 2012 |
de meeste begreep ik simpelweg niet, wat ik wel meende te begrijpen vond ik erg goed, vrolijk is het niet ( )
  Hopsakee | Apr 2, 2011 |
A good introduction to Yeats for the uninitiated. I found him a much more interesting poet than I had expected to. ( )
1 vote aulsmith | Feb 6, 2010 |
Contains some of the greatest poems in the English language. ( )
  JPWyatt | Jan 21, 2007 |
My love, we will go, we will go, I and you, / And away in the woods we will scatter the dew;

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 051707396X, Hardcover)

William Butler Yeats was not only one of the most beloved and honored poets of this century. Playwright, essayist, theatrical impresario, occultist, politician, famously hapless lover--he was also one of the most colorful and complex. Astonishingly, no full biography of Yeats has appeared in many years. Now, Keith Alldritt gives us a lively telling of Yeats's story that puts the poet in the context of his times, from the high Victorian era to the modernism of the thirties.

Alldritt reveals that Yeats was not just "the sensitive introvert who began as the mooning dreamer and after a lifetime seeking philosophical and hermetic wisdom, ended as the learned sage" that Yeats himself and his biographers would have us believe. He shows us a less familiar man: "a dedicated careerist, an ambitious man of determined self-interest, a seeker after social standing, and a combative man with a violent temper that sustained him in many nasty quarrels." Confrontational, scrappy, driven, he was deeply involved in both the political and literary issues of his day. He was instrumental in overturning the English domination of Irish literature and in researching and publishing books on Irish lore and fairy tales. He was the founder, with George Bernard Shaw, of the Irish Institute of Arts and Letters as well as the Abbey Theatre, where he refused to close down Synge's inflammatory play The Playboy of the Western World, despite riots in the street. During his tenure as senator in the Irish Parliament, he fought the Catholic divorce laws. At every level, Alldritt shows us a poet engaged in the world.

Yeats's long, passionate, and physically unrequited love affair with the beautiful Irish nationalist Maud Gonne, which led to some of his most poignant poetry, is brought vividly to life. Also covered in some detail are Yeats's numerous love affairs in the years before his death. Though condoned by his wife, they have not been explored in previous biographies out of respect for her feelings.

Another aspect of Yeats not generally appreciated is his involvement with literary movements outside Ireland and England. He wrote reviews for the Boston Globe; lectured regularly throughout the United States; and spent much time in France, where he was influenced by the symbolist poets, and in Italy, where he joined the Rapallo group led by the quixotic Ezra Pound.

In his years of research, Alldritt visited libraries worldwide. He was given special access to Yeats's private papers in the National Library of Ireland and interviewed many people who knew or are knowledgeable about Yeats, most notably Yeats's daughter, Anne.

Yeats has been called "the greatest poetic imagination of our century." Now Keith Alldritt reveals another facet of his extraordinary persona.

William Butler Yeats was a master craftsman, and one of his most skillful constructs was his own image. He wished to be remembered, above all, as an Irishman and a poet; as a man whose nature had been determined by the almost magical qualities of his childhood in Sligo and whose character had been shaped by the influence of admirable men. There is truth in this depiction of himself, but it is a partial truth only.

In this account, I attempt to go beyond his interior world and to evoke and do justice to those individuals and external forces which in their turn made up part of the dialectic of Yeats's life. Yeats lived at a time of profound changes for the Western world from the high Victorianism of the late 1800s to the advent of modernism in the 1930s. I have attempted to offer a strong sense of Yeats in his social and historical context--to show that an important side of his genius was his deep and often manipulative relationship with the turbulent life around him as with his turbulent life within.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

All things can tempt me from this craft of verse: One time it was a woman's face, or worse- The seeming needs of my fool-driven land; Now nothing but comes readier to the hand Than this accustomed toil. --From All Things Can Tempt Me Nobel Prize winner W.B. Yeats laid the foundations for an Irish literary revival, drawing inspiration from his country's folklore, the occult, and Celtic philosophy. A writer of both poems and plays, he helped found Dublin's famed Abbey Theatre. The poems here provide an example of his life's work and artistry, beginning with verses such as "The Stolen Child" from his debut collection Crossways (written when he was 24) through "Why Should Not Old Men Be Mad?" from On the Boiler, published a year prior to his death.… (more)

Legacy Library: William Butler Yeats

William Butler Yeats has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Butler Yeats's legacy profile.

See William Butler Yeats's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible