The Italian Girl by Lucinda Riley

The Italian Girl

by Lucinda Riley

***spoilers alert***

I love the cover, I did choose the book not because of the cover but the aim to read all of the books written by the writer.

Omg, what a drama! Yes, drama and still I read all the book, it's a fast read, loads of dialogues...and important side characters. But the writer has better writing style with the series of Seven Sisters ( I am absolutely not happy that there will be TV series based on the books as I would hate if they ruin the Seven Sisters books...) this is very poor comparison to those, I am happy this is not the first book I read by her as if I would - I would not try to read any other. This book takes place in present time, no two time scale plots - past and present.

I have mixed opinions about the book, although it was interesting it was pretty much predictable, and shows the reader the stigma what happens when you grow up and don't get explanations of what happens to your family members. You may be 7 or 11, but when grownups only finds excuses and tells you - you are too young to understand it's a direct way for worst scenarios later on, I mean, seriously, if one doesn't explain the situation, cause, outcome and the solution - how can one learn or try to avoid something like that?

The plot has created not only the main focus on Roberto and Rosanna, but also to Rosanna's siblings, parents and her best friend. It is a story about very traditional family who struggles by male- dominant father - all family members are expected to work and live and connect their lives to the restaurant their father owns. The idea is not bad if we think about it but the attitude is, and pf course, it doesn't work and children only dream to collect the money and get away...one way or another.

I had trouble with liking the main male character Roberto, the womanizer, who has too weak personality to be a man, let's be honest. He fall in love with her unique voice, he wanted to marry her not because of her personality, but because of his ego-centrism and selfishness that Rosanna will be together with somebody else. Later on as well, the relationship is basically moving on but he is still the same, he doesn't adapt to her needs and mind development, he doesn't get responsible. All world must turn around him - they don't travel back to Italy for years, she is giving up her dreams for him, she is giving up her family and he knows it(!) and still he has balls even to persuade her to travel with him, leaving a sick son at home alone. Roberto has no limits, let's not even mention his cheating activities. But I loved the the final turn of this obsessive relationship.

To summon up - it is a read when you are on the way to kill time, it is a read if you are ready for high drama and full of emotions, but I am glad I am not owning my own copy. ( )
  ilonita50 | Jul 26, 2017 |
Around 19 years ago, Lucinda Riley published this novel under the name "Aria"; after reading "The Seven Sister", there was a paragraph about this book (in chapter 16 to be exact), so I decided to read it next, not only that it is the oldest one I have but because it was mentioned in the story in Rio, which I loved. Can't wait to devour it! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Rosanna Menici is just a girl when she meets Roberto Rossini, the man who will change her life forever. In the years to come, their destinies are bound together by their extraordinary talents as opera singers and by their enduring but obsessive love for each other - a love that will ultimately affect the lives of all those closest to them. For, as Rosanna slowly discovers, their union is haunted by powerful secrets from the past. Rosanna's journey takes her from humble beginnings in the back streets of Naples to the glittering stages of the world's most prestigious opera houses. Set against a dazzling backdrop of evocative locations, The Italian Girl unfolds into a poignant and unforgettable tale of love, betrayal and self-discovery.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible