10 Busy Brownies by Talia Haven

10 Busy Brownies

by Talia Haven

751,138,814 (4)None

I've fallen in love with it!, 26 April 2014

This review is from: 10 Busy Brownies (Kindle Edition)
received as free download in exchange for review

Oh this is absolutely gorgeous! I may be 50+ years old, but can just imagine reading this to a little tot. Simple rhymes that a small child would soon commit to memory, and utterly delightful pictures of brownies doing everyday tasks in their elfin houses, gardening, feeding hens...and feasting on cream and honey cake.
I would definitely buy a copy! ( )
  starbox | Dec 9, 2014 |
Ten Busy Brownies is a rhyming, counting book for young children using Brownies from English or Scottish folklore. Brownies are tiny creatures, many times smaller than a human that help to do domestic chores around the home at night while everyone is asleep in exchange for small gifts of food.

Each number rhyme covers two pages, but only one page is visible at a time, which does make the counting a bit difficult at times. This is compounded by the fact that in some pictures, the entire brownie is not visible. Sometimes it is represented by just a hand (as when feeding the chickens). This can mislead young children into thinking that the incorrect number of brownies is represented on the page.

For the most part the rhythm and the rhyme work well, but on a few of the lines the rhythms seems to be just slightly off to me. These first two lines a little awkward, while the following two sound much better.

“Five busy brownies sweep the dust with brooms.
Chase the spiders out of rooms.
Six busy brownies stop to take a break.
For a feast of cream and honey cake.”

I also noticed that there was a period after each line of the poem even though the sentence was not complete until after the end of the couplet (if the couplet even made a sentence). There should not have been a period after each line of the poem at any rate.

The illustrations were colourful and unique. However, I also thought that the brownies appeared to be rather scary. I think they might frighten young children. Some of them appeared angry or mean-looking. Many of the brownies seemed rather freakish with their bulging eyes and bulbous noses. I suppose they were to appear to be related to elves with their pointed ears.

In the pictures, the brownies appeared to be the same size as humans and not many times smaller than humans. I mention this because on Ms. Haven’s blog, she has a comparison chart of the size difference between humans and brownies. The illustrations in Ten Busy Brownies do not reflect that difference in size.

I did not particularly like the illustrations, and not just due to the brownies. The animals were rather freakish as well. For example there was as chicken whose head resembled both a fish and the head of a strange being with a beak and a mouth. I had to look at the creature for a few minutes before I realized it was a chicken with its legs sticking out sideways.

I loved that the brownies were helping with the household chores and I thought that this would be a good way to talk with children about how they could also help with the chores too. The brownies lived in the home and worked for gifts of food. The children also live in the home and were given food. Everyone participates and everyone receives something for their participation.

For a book whose learning purpose is to teach counting, rhythm and rhyme to young children, I gave 10 Busy Brownies 2 stars out of 5. The illustrations were a big part of the reason for the rating.

Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/08/book-review-ten-busy-browni... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This is a cute little children's book that can be used to help teach your kids how to count to ten. It's about ten brownies completing their chores for the day and it's written in rhyme format. Sort of like Dr. Seuss. I had no idea what brownies were. They have elvan features, reminding me of Santa Claus and Christmas time. It turns out they are like hobgoblins. Besides teach a child to count, I also think it would help teach children the importance of helping others and doing their share. It has very cute full-page illustrations that kids will find charming and I think will help to draw them into the story. The ending seemed to end rather abruptly and it felt as if the story wasn't quite finished so that gave me pause. Overall, though, it is a fun book that has a learning aspect included which is always a plus for parents with small children. I recommend it to parents with pre-school aged children.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Author for my honest review and no monetary compensation was received. ( )
1 vote Wanda_Barefoot | Jun 12, 2014 |
Talia Haven has gathered ideas from the fairy tale books of my childhood and created a children's book that teaches counting in a unique way. Through TEN BUSY BROWNIES, we get to see what happens (or as a mom, what I wish would happen) while we sleep at night. Each page shows a brownie (think elf or pixie) or two or three brownies, all the way to 10, helping to pick up the house. For example, "Two Busy Brownies pick-up clothes and toys." All these chores are done while the family in the house is sleeping. The story shows kids the importance of working together to get jobs done.

If you notice the cover, the illustrations remind me of books from my childhood like Mother Goose or Grimm Fairy Tales. They are richly detailed and each page has numerous things to point on to your child while reading. For example, you can help your children count the brooms or find the cute mouse peeking out on the page. The rhyming of the verses also brings a educational feature to the book.

This book is perfect for younger children. TEN BUSY BROWNIES goes beyond reading and teaches numbers, rhyming, and the fun of working together to get the job done. ( )
1 vote Staciele | Apr 22, 2014 |
This simple story is a counting book. It starts out with one little brownie guarding the dreams of children as they sleep. Then there are two brownies are cleaning up clothes and toys. It continues adding a number and what the brownies are doing all the way up to ten. In case you don't remember what a brownie is, they are similar to goblins but usually live in houses and help out. The story is delightful, the pictures are very colorful and give you something to sit with your child and have them find different things in the pictures. This is a great book to teach children to count to ten. ( )
1 vote skstiles612 | Mar 31, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,756,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible