Serpents in the Garden (The Graham Saga) by…

Serpents in the Garden (The Graham Saga)

by Anna Belfrage

821,035,133 (4.5)None

This is my fourth Graham Saga book and I'm just as excited with this time travel tale this many books in as I was with the first one that I read. I still haven't found time to read the very first book in the series but salient facts from past books are always seamlessly woven in so a new reader never feels lost. This fifth installment continues the lives of Alex and Matthew as they make their mark in the New World having left Matthew's beloved Scotland in fear of his life because of his religious convictions.

This book seems more family focused with relationships beginning and ending, births, deaths and injuries filling the pages from beginning to end. The family is just trying to live in peace but it just doesn't seem to be their lot. Young Jacob leaves to see the world and all is not joy and happiness with everyone at the homestead. To write much more would spoil plot points. The evil Burley brothers are stalking Matthew with the intent of killing him and this particular plot development is one that about drove me crazy. They were everywhere the Grahams were. In the 17th century world they always knew where they would be at the exact time? A little too convenient and it got a little comical where it most certainly wasn't meant to be. I realize a book needs tension but their appearances were getting to be almost rote.

Despite the Burley brothers I really did enjoy the book and I thoroughly enjoy these characters and the world in which they live. It's well developed whether it's taking place in London or the New World. You feel you are in the world with the characters as the writing transports you into their lives. I can't wait for the next installment so I can continue to follow the love story of Alex and Matthew Graham. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Apr 7, 2014 |
Serpents in the Garden is the 5th book in the series and the third that I have read. I love this series. Why? I love time travel books, it would be so cool I think to be able to go bsack in time. In this 5th book we watch the family grow and evolve from just Matthew, Alex and Ian to their growing family and friends. It is the time where the oldest children are ready to go out on their own to learn a trade or in the case of Jacob, to see the world. Things don't always go as planned. It is a hard life in a young country, with the threat of Indian attacks and old enemies that threaten their very existence. Even though this is a historical series, to me it is more character driven, where the reader gets into the lives and loves of these people rather than into the conflicts of the era. Alex is a strong woman who not only is protective, nurturing but she is fierce when her or her family is in danger. Matthew as patriarch of the family is the protector of all he holds dear and will do all that he can to keep everyone safe from harm. Will he succeed?? Guess I will have to read the next book and I highly recommend this series...

Thanks to the author and Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours for my copy of the book, I was not compensated for my review. ( )
  celticlady53 | Apr 2, 2014 |

Serpents in the Garden is the fifth book in Anna Belfrage’s time slip series featuring time traveller Alexandra Lind and her seventeenth century husband, Matthew Graham.

After years of hard work, Matthew and Alex Graham have created a thriving home in the Colony of Maryland. About time, in Alex’s opinion, after far too many adventures she is really looking forward to some well-deserved peace and quiet.

A futile hope, as it turns out. Things start to heat up when Jacob, the third Graham son, absconds from his apprenticeship to see the world – especially as Jacob leaves behind a girl whom he has wed in a most irregular fashion.

Then there’s the infected matter of the fellow time traveller Alex feels obliged to help – no matter the risk. Worst of all, one day Philip Burley and his brothers resurface after years of absence. As determined as ever to make Matthew pay for every perceived wrong – starting with the death of their youngest brother – the Burleys play out a complicated cat and mouse game, and Alex is thrown back into an existence where her heart is constantly in her mouth, convinced as she is that one day the Burleys will achieve their purpose.

Serpents in the Garden is the fifth book in Anna Belfrage's time slip series featuring time traveler Alexandra Lind and her seventeenth century husband, Matthew Graham. After years of hard work, Matthew and Alex Graham have created a thriving home in the Colony of Maryland. About time, in Alex's opinion, as after far too many adventures she is really looking forward to some well-deserved peace and quiet. A futile hope, as it turns out. Things start to heat up when Jacob, the third Graham son, absconds from his apprenticeship to see the world, especially as Jacob leaves behind a girl whom he has wed in a most irregular fashion. Then there's the infected matter of the fellow time traveler Alex feels obliged to help, no matter the risk. Worst of all, one day Philip Burley and his brothers resurface after years of absence. As determined as ever to make Matthew pay for every perceived wrong, starting with the death of their youngest brother, the Burleys play out a complicated cat and mouse game, and Alex is thrown back into an existence where her heart is constantly in her mouth, convinced as she is that one day the Burleys will achieve their purpose. Will the Burleys succeed? And if they do, will the Graham family survive the exacted price?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,517,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible