Prince Lestat by Anne Rice

Prince Lestat

by Anne Rice

English (33)  Italian (1)  All (34)
Really a 3.5

I LOVED the vampire series, and while I enjoyed this one, I felt like the family newsletter* went on for far too long.[Really, like, at least 1/2 the book.] I liked the idea of a Rose and/or Victor, but they didn't have much to do in this story. Perhaps they will have their own series or adventure in the future. The brat prince {Lestat} is the king of the story here, so if you don't like him- you will really not like this novel. Though I do appreciate that he himself acknowledges his bratty behavior.

The plot was thin. [Sadly, I'm being kind.] The setup happened sporadically in the first 1/2 and the action happened in the back 1/3 of the book, and I don't want to give away anything. If you want to find out what happened to your favorite vampire(s) from the series, then you should read it, if this is your first foray- start with the earlier ones, otherwise you won't really get it. This one is like visiting friends you haven't see for a while, but you still need to know their history to know the whats and why of things that occur in this one.

*If you don't get a family newsletter it's usually done to let the rest of the family know what everyone else it up to, especially if you have a huge extended family -- which would be the case for millennial vampires (those who are 1000 years old, not born near the last millennium). ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
My Top 5 favourite things about Prince Lestat by Anne Rice:
1. My copy is signed by Anne Rice (wow!)
2. The cover art is divine and contains everything I love in cover design.
3. An appendix includes a complete glossary of characters and their chronology from the Vampire Chronicles series. This was extremely helpful and a joy to read through.
4. A second appendix includes a brief summary of every book in the Vampire Chronicles series. I relished re-visiting my favourite books again in this succinct format and it definitely made Prince Lestat accessible to new readers who may not have read all the previous novels in the series.
5. It ended.

I'm a huge fan of Anne Rice's writing so I was devastated to find I didn't enjoy reading Prince Lestat. I even took a break, hoping I was just in some kind of bizarre reading funk, but I just couldn't find the same reading pleasure I usually find in her pages.

The plot contains chapters from different vampires as they begin to face a crisis threatening their kind and while I should have been thrilled to read about old favourites again, the cause uniting them was a bore. There were too many stylishly dressed vampires, too many marble fireplaces, too much classical music and too much love and affection for my liking.

All of this made the denouement seem sudden and exciting and I'll definitely read the next in the series for completeness. I already have a copy of Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis and I'm hoping that Lestat's investigations of the lost realms of Atlantis will be a return to the Anne Rice I've come to know and love. Sadly, this just wasn't it for me. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Jun 18, 2017 |
Further explores the mythos of her world. Continues to show the elder/stronger/more beautiful vampires as almost inherently better. ( )
  brakketh | Jan 27, 2017 |
Man... I really wanted to love this book. I've had a lot of fun (mostly) rereading most of the Vampire Chronicles to get myself up to reading this newest volume in the series. But, reading this volume, I find not so much love and adoration but only a "eh..." I zipped through the book because I do love these characters, and I enjoyed seeing them in another book. I liked all the different perspectives. I also liked seeing so many 'Children of Millennia' vampires in this volume. However, everyone was SOOO 2-dimensional. I'm used to seeing these characters with great depth and emotions. I didn't feel like there was much emotion here. Not enough, at least, for this series. I really hope this is just a one book fluke and any others written after this will pick up the greatness of the earlier volumes, because this one really disappointed me in the end. :( ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 30, 2016 |
In the new book of the Vampire Chronicles Lestat and all the vampires has to face a new danger. Is it possible that the days of the new Burning came and it's the end of almost all of them? It seems that they can only survive if they act together as a 'tribe'.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 10, 2016 |
From my stone pillow, I have dreamed dreams of the mortal world above.  I have heard its voice, it's new music, as lullabies as I lie in my grave.  I have envisioned fantastic discoveries, I have known its courage in he timeless sanctum of my thoughts.  And though it shuts me out with its dazzling forms, I long for one with the strength to roam its fearlessly, to ride the Devil's Road though its heart.--Alessandra, yet unnamed in The Vampire Lestat.
Old truths and ancient magic, revolution and invention, all conspire to distract us from the passion that in one way or another defeats us all.  And weary finally of this complexity, we dream of that long-ago time when we sat upon our mother's knee and each kiss was the perfect consummation of desire.  What can we do but reach for the embrace that must now contain both heaven and hell: our doom again and again and again.-- Lestat in The Vampire Lestat
In the flesh all wisdom begins.  Beware the thing that has no flesh. Beware the gods, beware the idea, beware the devil.-- Maharet to Jesse in The Queen of the Damned
This book is dedicated to Stan Rice, Michele Rice, Christopher Rice and Karen O'Brien and Cynthia Rice Rogers Victoria Wilson Lynn Nesbit Eric Shaw Quinn Suzanne Marie Scott Quiroz and The People of the Page and to my muses, Mary Fahl and Jon Bon Jovi
In the beginning were the spirits.

A stunning departure, a surprising and compelling return . . . From Anne Rice, perennial best seller, single-handed reinventor of the vampire cosmology—a new, exhilarating novel, a deepening of her vampire mythology, and a chillingly hypnotic mystery-thriller.

“What can we do but reach for the embrace that must now
          contain both heaven and hell: our doom again and again and
          again . . .” —from The Vampire Lestat

Rice once again summons up the irresistible spirit-world of the oldest and most powerful forces of the night, invisible beings unleashed on an unsuspecting world able to take blood from humans, in a long-awaited return to the extraordinary world of the Vampire Chronicles and the uniquely seductive Queen of the Damned (“mesmerizing” —SF Chronicle), a long-awaited novel that picks up where The Vampire Lestat ("brilliant...its undead characters are utterly alive" —New York Times) left off more than a quarter of a century ago to create an extraordinary new world of spirits and forces—the characters, legend, and lore of all the Vampire Chronicles.

The novel opens with the vampire world in crisis...vampires have been proliferating out of control; burnings have commenced all over the world, huge massacres similar to those carried out by Akasha in The Queen of the Damned . . . Old vampires, roused from slumber in the earth are doing the bidding of a Voice commanding that they indiscriminately burn vampire-mavericks in cities from Paris and Mumbai to Hong Kong, Kyoto, and San Francisco.

As the novel moves from present-day New York and the West Coast to ancient Egypt, fourth century Carthage, 14th-century Rome, the Venice of the Renaissance, the worlds and beings of all the Vampire Chronicles—Louis de Pointe du Lac; the eternally young Armand, whose face is that of a Boticelli angel; Mekare and Maharet, Pandora and Flavius; David Talbot, vampire and ultimate fixer from the secret Talamasca; and Marius, the true Child of the Millennia; along with all the other new seductive, supernatural creatures—come together in this large, luxuriant, fiercely ambitious novel to ultimately rise up and seek out who—or what—the Voice is, and to discover the secret of what it desires and why . . .

And, at the book’s center, the seemingly absent, curiously missing hero-wanderer, the dazzling, dangerous rebel-outlaw--the great hope of the Undead, the dazzling Prince Lestat . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:41 -0400)

"The novel opens with the Vampire world in crisis...vampires have been proliferating out of control; burnings have commenced all over the world, huge massacres similar to those carried out by Akasha in The Queen of the Damned... Old vampires, roused from slumber in the earth are doing the bidding of a Voice commanding that they indiscriminately burn vampire-mavericks in cities from Paris and Mumbai to Hong Kong, Kyoto and San Francisco. As the novel moves from present day New York and the West Coast to Ancient Egypt, fourth century Carthage, 14th century Rome, the Venice of the Renaissance, the worlds and beings of all the Vampire Chronicles--from Louis de Pointe du Lac, the eternally young Armand whose face is that of a Boticelli angel; Mekare and Maharet, Pandora and Flavius; David Talbot, vampire and ultimate fixer from the Secret Talamasca, and Marius, the true child of the Millennia; along with all the other new seductive, supernatural creatures--come together in this large, luxuriant, fiercely ambitious novel to ultimately rise up and seek out who--or what--The Voice is, and to discover the secret of what it desires and why... And, at the book's center, the seemingly absent, curiously missing hero-wanderer, the dazzling, dangerous rebel-outlaw--the great "hope" of the Undead, the dazzling Prince Lestat.."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,994,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible