Prince Lestat by Anne Rice

Title:Prince Lestat
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Knopf Publishing Group - Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Anne Rice, The Vampire Chronicles, Vampires, Ghosts

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice (Author)

Further explores the mythos of her world. Continues to show the elder/stronger/more beautiful vampires as almost inherently better. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jan 27, 2017 |
Man... I really wanted to love this book. I've had a lot of fun (mostly) rereading most of the Vampire Chronicles to get myself up to reading this newest volume in the series. But, reading this volume, I find not so much love and adoration but only a "eh..." I zipped through the book because I do love these characters, and I enjoyed seeing them in another book. I liked all the different perspectives. I also liked seeing so many 'Children of Millennia' vampires in this volume. However, everyone was SOOO 2-dimensional. I'm used to seeing these characters with great depth and emotions. I didn't feel like there was much emotion here. Not enough, at least, for this series. I really hope this is just a one book fluke and any others written after this will pick up the greatness of the earlier volumes, because this one really disappointed me in the end. :( ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 30, 2016 |
In the new book of the Vampire Chronicles Lestat and all the vampires has to face a new danger. Is it possible that the days of the new Burning came and it's the end of almost all of them? It seems that they can only survive if they act together as a 'tribe'.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 10, 2016 |
Well, I was right to be wary. I think I knew in my heart that this book wouldn't hold a candle to the original. Don't get me wrong, Lestat is still the Brat Prince of the Vampires and does not let the reader down, and it was wonderful to see Louis and Armand and other favorites. The parts of the book that focused on Lestat and the other well known and well loved characters were engaging and at those moments, I was able to catch a glimpse of the old stories that I loved so much. However, so much of this book focused on other, lesser known vampires that I wasn't as invested in. Their stories were mildly interesting and they had purpose to the story but I felt like it was false advertising to call the book, "Prince Lestat" when Lestat was probably present in only about half of the book and he certainly wasn't causing the often jaw-dropping or laugh out loud trouble we are used to reading. Louis, my favorite character, only barely made an appearance and then suddenly had the lead role in the last chapter, which I'm still not sure I understand.

I think the problem was that I was expecting something I didn't get. My expectations were too high. The book was well-written and the last quarter of the book was quite exciting once all of the different chapters/stories began to merge. I still believe Anne Rice to be a stellar author but I am going back. I'm going back to reread those first two books that kept me up until wee hours of the morning on the edge of my seat, reveling in the Vampire world and its colorful and unforgettable characters. These are the stories I want to hold onto and remember forever. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
It was nice to revisit Lestat & all of the others after so long. Anne Rice continues to be very talented at depicting the private thoughts of these creatures and her descriptions are always beautiful and sensual. However, I found all of the iphone mentions silly and rather jarring, I am even wondering if she is paid by Apple or something, it gets that ridiculous.

Also, in my opinion, the plot was rather weak and silly at times, and a few of the things that happen at the end are so out of place I don't know how her editor let her keep them in.

Still, overall I enjoyed this and it was a page turner, as usual. ( )
  auberginequeen | Feb 13, 2016 |
From my stone pillow, I have dreamed dreams of the mortal world above.  I have heard its voice, it's new music, as lullabies as I lie in my grave.  I have envisioned fantastic discoveries, I have known its courage in he timeless sanctum of my thoughts.  And though it shuts me out with its dazzling forms, I long for one with the strength to roam its fearlessly, to ride the Devil's Road though its heart.--Alessandra, yet unnamed in The Vampire Lestat.
Old truths and ancient magic, revolution and invention, all conspire to distract us from the passion that in one way or another defeats us all.  And weary finally of this complexity, we dream of that long-ago time when we sat upon our mother's knee and each kiss was the perfect consummation of desire.  What can we do but reach for the embrace that must now contain both heaven and hell: our doom again and again and again.-- Lestat in The Vampire Lestat
In the flesh all wisdom begins.  Beware the thing that has no flesh. Beware the gods, beware the idea, beware the devil.-- Maharet to Jesse in The Queen of the Damned
This book is dedicated to Stan Rice, Michele Rice, Christopher Rice and Karen O'Brien and Cynthia Rice Rogers Victoria Wilson Lynn Nesbit Eric Shaw Quinn Suzanne Marie Scott Quiroz and The People of the Page and to my muses, Mary Fahl and Jon Bon Jovi
In the beginning were the spirits.

A stunning departure, a surprising and compelling return . . . From Anne Rice, perennial best seller, single-handed reinventor of the vampire cosmology—a new, exhilarating novel, a deepening of her vampire mythology, and a chillingly hypnotic mystery-thriller.

“What can we do but reach for the embrace that must now
          contain both heaven and hell: our doom again and again and
          again . . .” —from The Vampire Lestat

Rice once again summons up the irresistible spirit-world of the oldest and most powerful forces of the night, invisible beings unleashed on an unsuspecting world able to take blood from humans, in a long-awaited return to the extraordinary world of the Vampire Chronicles and the uniquely seductive Queen of the Damned (“mesmerizing” —SF Chronicle), a long-awaited novel that picks up where The Vampire Lestat ("brilliant...its undead characters are utterly alive" —New York Times) left off more than a quarter of a century ago to create an extraordinary new world of spirits and forces—the characters, legend, and lore of all the Vampire Chronicles.

The novel opens with the vampire world in crisis...vampires have been proliferating out of control; burnings have commenced all over the world, huge massacres similar to those carried out by Akasha in The Queen of the Damned . . . Old vampires, roused from slumber in the earth are doing the bidding of a Voice commanding that they indiscriminately burn vampire-mavericks in cities from Paris and Mumbai to Hong Kong, Kyoto, and San Francisco.

As the novel moves from present-day New York and the West Coast to ancient Egypt, fourth century Carthage, 14th-century Rome, the Venice of the Renaissance, the worlds and beings of all the Vampire Chronicles—Louis de Pointe du Lac; the eternally young Armand, whose face is that of a Boticelli angel; Mekare and Maharet, Pandora and Flavius; David Talbot, vampire and ultimate fixer from the secret Talamasca; and Marius, the true Child of the Millennia; along with all the other new seductive, supernatural creatures—come together in this large, luxuriant, fiercely ambitious novel to ultimately rise up and seek out who—or what—the Voice is, and to discover the secret of what it desires and why . . .

And, at the book’s center, the seemingly absent, curiously missing hero-wanderer, the dazzling, dangerous rebel-outlaw--the great hope of the Undead, the dazzling Prince Lestat . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:41 -0400)

"The novel opens with the Vampire world in crisis...vampires have been proliferating out of control; burnings have commenced all over the world, huge massacres similar to those carried out by Akasha in The Queen of the Damned... Old vampires, roused from slumber in the earth are doing the bidding of a Voice commanding that they indiscriminately burn vampire-mavericks in cities from Paris and Mumbai to Hong Kong, Kyoto and San Francisco. As the novel moves from present day New York and the West Coast to Ancient Egypt, fourth century Carthage, 14th century Rome, the Venice of the Renaissance, the worlds and beings of all the Vampire Chronicles--from Louis de Pointe du Lac, the eternally young Armand whose face is that of a Boticelli angel; Mekare and Maharet, Pandora and Flavius; David Talbot, vampire and ultimate fixer from the Secret Talamasca, and Marius, the true child of the Millennia; along with all the other new seductive, supernatural creatures--come together in this large, luxuriant, fiercely ambitious novel to ultimately rise up and seek out who--or what--The Voice is, and to discover the secret of what it desires and why... And, at the book's center, the seemingly absent, curiously missing hero-wanderer, the dazzling, dangerous rebel-outlaw--the great "hope" of the Undead, the dazzling Prince Lestat.."--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,511,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible