Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us by…

The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Diane Ackerman

Member:gregvogl
Title:The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us
Authors:Diane Ackerman
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2014), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages

The Human Age: The World Shaped By Us by Diane Ackerman (2014)

up-to-date ( )
  mahallett | Nov 9, 2018 |
From brushing our teeth with "ancient trilobites, coral and other fossils," a Seed Vault in Norway, a DNA Ark in Nottingham, England, 3-D printers that can create body parts and the possibility of our plants texting their complaints on our care giving via smartphones or tablets. That last one was disturbing. I'm not sure I want to know what my plants are thinking. I really liked the chapter "Blue Revolution" in which Bren Smith discusses growing "kelp in winter and eary spring; red seaweed in June and September; oysters, scallops and clams year-round and mussels in the spring and fall. Since this book was published a kelp farm has been established in Puget Sound with the hope that it might reduce the water's acidity as the kelp uses five times the CO2 than land plants. In April 2018 Lesley Stahl from "60 Minutes" did a piece on kelp farming and it was equated with planting trees in the sea.
A very interesting book though I still don't want my plants talking to me ( )
  lisa.schureman | Oct 10, 2018 |
Must have been a fun book to write. I wonder about the funding. Ackerman seemed to be able to travel quite a bit to interview experts on their home turf, an aspect of nonfiction that always enhances readability. I was surprised and less interested in all the futurism and cultural aspects. Like science advancements and the state of the human race that seemed to have little bearing on our geo/ecological effect on the planet. Ackerman has skills and background. A doctorate in something where Carl Sagan was one of her advisors, for instance. She is optimistic and ready to wonder and the many marvels, which is fun. A little sexy even in her zest for life. I would have to look back again at the book to put my finger on what made up the book's narrative arc. ( )
  Mark-Bailey | Jul 1, 2017 |
I felt that the prose tended to be too be too flowery at times for the subject, sometimes to the point of distraction, but the subject and anecdotes of the book are interesting. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
  torreyhouse | Jun 25, 2016 |

“Our relationship with nature has changed . . . radically, irreversibly, but by no means all for the bad. Our new epoch is laced with invention. Our mistakes are legion, but our talent is immeasurable.”

Our finest literary interpreter of science and nature, Diane Ackerman is justly celebrated for her unique insight into the natural world and our place (for better and worse) in it.

In this landmark book, she confronts the unprecedented fact that the human race is now the single dominant force of change on the planet. Humans have “subdued 75 percent of the land surface, concocted a wizardry of industrial and medical marvels, strung lights all across the darkness.” We now collect the DNA of vanishing species in a “frozen ark,” equip orangutans with iPads, create wearable technologies and synthetic species that might one day outsmart us. Ackerman takes us on an exciting journey to understand this bewildering new reality, introducing us to many of the people and ideas now creating—perhaps saving—our future.

The Human Age is a beguiling, optimistic engagement with the earth-shaking changes now affecting every part of our lives and those of our fellow creatures—a wise book that will astound, delight, and inform intelligent life for a long time to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

"Humans have subdued 75 percent of the land surface, concocted a wizardry of industrial and medical marvels, strung lights all across the darkness. We tinker with nature at every opportunity; we garden the planet with our preferred species of plants and animals, many of them invasive; and we have even altered the climate, threatening our own extinction. Yet we reckon with our own destructive capabilities in extraordinary acts of hope-filled creativity ... Ackerman [explores] our new reality, introducing us to many of the people and ideas now creating--perhaps saving--our future and that of our fellow creatures"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible