The Breakup Doctor (The Breakup Doctor…

The Breakup Doctor (The Breakup Doctor Series) (Volume 1)

by Phoebe Fox

In The Breakup Doctor Phoebe Fox gives us a wonderful character experiencing the highs and lows of life. I was initially torn between four and five stars but I read through a few other reviews and there was a comment in one that helped me to put what I enjoyed into better perspective.

The other reviewer felt that a negative of the story, at least for her, was the way Brook seemed to be such an unlikable person in the second half of the book. I was a little surprised because I found Brook to be likable even when she was acting in ways that were questionable at best. In thinking about my impression in light of this other viewpoint I realized what Fox did so well that it almost slipped by, she let Brook's qualities, good and bad, show through without sugar-coating the bad. I would venture to say that many if not most of us have, in times of emotional pain, been far less of the person we like to think we are. So many of her thoughts, comments and actions were so wrong to do that they seemed perfectly right. I guess what I am saying is that I found this glimpse into how someone else deals (or not) with anguish yet still begins to come through the other side refreshing and also reassuring. Reassuring? Yeah, I have fallen far short of who I like to think I am on more occasions than I care to admit, so I could relate to some of Brook's uglier moments. Yet it is reassuring to know that others have felt similar emotions and acted on them but managed to bounce back.

That makes this novel sound far heavier than it is. It is a pleasant read, at times laugh out loud and I shared more than one part with friends, especially where she remembers too late "[d]on't drink and dial, and don't drink and email." I read that section to several people, I think it will be my audition piece.

I also have to mention Sasha, Brook's best friend. To say they are opposites wouldn't truly sum up the beauty of their friendship. There is much more fluidity to what would be the boundary were they simply opposites. Each is exactly what the other needs. If you have one of those friends who sometimes seems like she can't survive without your help but just as often you can't seem to survive without hers either, then you know what I mean.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys some humor but is especially drawn to relationships. Not strictly romantic but familial, friendship and work relationships as well. If you have ever suffered a breakup that sent you plummeting I think you will find a lot here to relate to as well, I sure did. ( )
  pomo58 | Jan 16, 2017 |
I had a blast reading The Break Up Doctor. I figure anytime I actually worry about a character's well being during the course of the story, I am totally invested in it. When Brook Ogden's counselor practice is suddenly without a home, most people would just start searching for a new lease. This time it's her best friend Sasha that lends a hand and a new start with a relationship advice column at the newspaper she works at. Brook's own boyfriend Kendall has mentioned cohabitating, her parents are taking a 'break' and the home she owns is in need of great repair. When life starts to be too much, Brook's descent into bad relationship behavior is both humorous and heart wrenching to watch. I have visited Fort Meyers once and enjoyed Fox's descriptions of both the area and the vacationers v. real inhabitants. I will absolutely be on the look out for the next book in the series. ( )
  ethel55 | Mar 25, 2015 |
The Breakup Doctor by Phoebe Fox

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of The Breakup Doctor by Phoebe Fox from NetGalley.com in return for an honest review.

Picture this: a woman with an inappropriate picture of a donkey tattooed on her shoulder, and she's wearing pantyhose on her head with snorkel goggles to protect her eyes. Is this the image of a Licensed Professional Mental Health Counsellor, OR is this some demented lunatic recently escaped from the psycho wing of the local "rest home". The correct answer would be the first choice. Her name is Brook Lynn Ogden, and she's very very good at what she does... most of the time. Unless she gets blindsided by a man who leads her to believe one thing while, in fact, the opposite is the truth. This could make anyone a wee bit annoyed, but for Brook, it means she goes completely apeshit for a while. Which explains some of the nutty things she does while still trying to maintain her professional demeanor with her clients.

It all started when the office building Brook and two associates of hers had made their office was suddenly (for Brook) demolished. The two people with whom she shared her business decided that when the building went, so would they. In the short span of one morning, Brook lost her business and her office AND her team in one fell swoop. Fortunately for that crisis she had her friend Sasha to talk her through the rough spots, and she had the support of her boyfriend, Kendall, to encourage her to keep on truckin'. She had recently bought a fixer-upper house which had the potential to be an office when she finished some major renovations, so maybe things weren't so bleak after all. Especially since she and Sasha had this great idea for her to write a column for the local newspaper on relationships and how to survive them. All they had to do was convince Lisa Albrecht, the editor of the paper, that Kendall's column was what the newspaper desperately needed. That proved easier than they thought it would be, so Voila! The Breakup Doctor was born. Before long, Brook was building a client list and producing noteworthy articles people were drawn to read because the general consensus was that she had a good head on her shoulders. Suffice it to say that with that donkey on her shoulder no one actually saw to what the good head was attached because Book carefully kept it covered with a sweater in all kinds of weather.

The book goes on to describe what Brook has to go through both professionally and in her personal life all at the same time. Oh, the mistakes she made! But that's what made The Breakup Doctor such a good read. Phoebe Fox has made Brook an intelligent, professional woman who, in spite of her own faults, really does want to help people over the hurdles of broken relationships by not giving in to stalking, nasty messages, or outright verbal confrontations. And who says that professionals have to be absolutely perfect in order to help guide someone who's hurting through such painful times?

By the end of the book Brook has learned some valuable life lessons and so has the reader. There's lots to think about in the pages of this book, and it could certainly be the basis for some interesting discussions within book clubs or simply friends who like to read the same books. I highly recommend The Breakup Doctor to those who enjoy a little humor with their pathos and may even learn a few relationship tips along the way.

GabbyHayze | May 23, 2014 |

Elliot Lisbon blends her directorship of the Ballantyne Foundation with her PI-in-Training status by planning parties and performing discreet inquiries for charitable patrons. But when the annual Wonderland Tea Party makes everyone go mad as a hatter, Elli gets pulled into a shooting, a swindle, and the hunt for a Faberge egg. From seedy pawn parlors to creepy antique shops, Sea Pine Island's other half proves to be as wacky as the wealthy. As Elli falls farther down the rabbit hole, she finds a scheming salesman, a possessive paramour, a dead donor-in fact, the only thing missing is a bottle labeled 'Drink Me.' As events evolve from curious to crazy, Elli gets lost in the maze and finds herself trapped in a house of cards with a killer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible