Impreggnation by Artemis Damodred

by Artemis Damodred
self-published, 2014
ISBN 9781311536075; Smashwords digital edition (EPUB), ~4,300 words

Review date: March, 2014

Having recently read some bizarre erotic shorts by Delilah Dunn and thoroughly enjoying the wackiness and humor, when I came across Artemis Damodred's "Impreggnation" as a free offering at Smashwords, I was drawn to it hoping for more of the same. Alas, whatever je ne sais quoi lends Dunn's work its enjoyability is not to be found in Damodred's work.

In this short tale, Tamsin Reilly is an archaeologist. While excavating a cave, she encounters a remnant dinosaur which decides to mate with her. OK. Weird, but not inconceivable as the basis for a fictional tale. Thereafter, however, defying all laws of biology, Tamsin begins gestating a dinosaur egg inside of her and then must lay it.

Not having a pregnancy fetish myself, I didn't figure this would be a huge appeal, but I was hoping for some humor and fun. And while some other readers might find such things in this story, I didn't. I just couldn't get past the impossibility of Tamsin's "pregnancy" and the mediocre sexual description. Apparently Damodred has written other short stories, and pregnancy and breeding seem to be her central theme. The subject matter may appeal to some readers, but I won't be reading them myself anytime soon. For those who care to do so, however, I can say that Damodred's writing—at least in "Impreggnation"—is fluid and error-free, if not exactly outstandingly crafted, and such readers may indeed enjoy her work.

——————————

1½ stars: Points for effort, but the work is less than satisfactory. There may be serious technical errors (spelling, punctuation, grammar, typography, layout, etc). Fiction and poetry conventions may be seriously flawed. For nonfiction, information may be poorly presented or incorrect. A 1½-star work has many of the problems of works rated with only one star, but wasn't quite as bad as many of those one-star works—yet it certainly wasn't deserving of two-star status. On a school scale, this would be a 'C–' grade, or slightly below average. ( )
  tokidokizenzen | Mar 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,546,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible