Silver Skin by D.L. McDermott

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Helene wants nothing more to do with the Fae. Unfortunately, fate doesn’t seem to care what she wants…

Opening Sentence: Helene Whitney was losing time.

The Review:

I was pleasantly surprised by the first book in this series, so I was very happy to discover that I was going to get to read book two. Thankfully, this book did not disappoint. In fact, I thought it was even better than the first one! There was a point where I absolutely did not want to put the book down! It’s always great to find a book that makes you feel that way.

Helene wants absolutely nothing to do with the Fae after the events of book one, especially Miach MacCecht. Unfortunately, he may be the only person who can help her. She’s losing time, finding herself waking up in places she can’t remember going to, and worries that somehow a Fae is messing with her. When she tries to tell her friend Beth, she finds that the words won’t come out of her mouth. She can’t even email the words to her! With Beth currently in Ireland, Helene’s last resort is to turn to the Fae she least wants to see: Miach.

Miach has been searching for a reason to see Helene again, as he can’t get her out of his mind. Imagine his surprise when she actually turns up on his doorstep. Miach confirms Helene’s worst fear when he finds a geas marked on her shoulder, confirming that a Fae has been using her for an unknown purpose. Miach suspects the purpose is to bring down the gate between this world and the world where most Fae have been trapped for years. Not wanting that to happen, he must find out who is behind this before it’s too late and hell reigns on earth. Can he get Helene to trust him enough though to help her?

While I liked the characters in the first book, I absolutely loved Miach and Helene in this one! Miach doesn’t come off as cold as some of his Fae brethren do, which makes it much easier to like him than it was to like the hero of the first book. I loved his sense of humor and how he’s devoted to his family. Helene is the kind of heroine I love: completely self sufficient, not needing a man to complete her, but who also has a really soft side. She seemed to pair greatly with Miach, and the chemistry between them is incredible! I’m an admitted sucker for a story where the hero and heroine start off feeling antagonistic towards each other, but eventually have no choice but to give in to their attraction to the other, and this story fit the bill!

The only negative thing I can really say is there were some parts towards the beginning of the story that were repetitive (two narrators going over basically the same information). But in the end, that was just a minor annoyance and really didn’t make me enjoy the book any less. Overall, I was totally engaged from beginning to end, and I can’t wait to read book 3!

Notable Scene:

He forged up the stairs. Pain shot through his body as soon as his foot struck the first riser, but he ground his teeth and kept going, taking the stairs two or three at a time. They shook with his passage. Halfway up the first flight he was already slowing. He sucked in a breath, and his lungs burned. Iron filings. Iron dust. Sifting up through the air. More than possible to be formed from disuse and decay. Someone had scattered pounds of the stuff on the stairs.

Enough to kill most Fae. Not cleanly, either, but slowly, agonizingly, blighting and poisoning every cell in the body. He held his breath and kept going. Up another step, and another. He reached the landing, turned, could not go on without taking another deadly breath. The iron dust seared his lungs, his chest convulsed. He forced himself up the next flight, to the door to the roof, and then out.

More iron filings dusted the ground in a circle radiating out from the door. He staggered through it, to the cleaner ground beyond, then crumpled to his knees on the gravel. The pain was nearly blinding, but he could see Helene at the other end of the roof.

Her back was to Miach. She was walking, purposefully, toward the parapet. He called out to her, his voice a hollow rasp, no power left in it. “Helene, turn around, come back.”

It would have been an irresistible command, if he wasn’t dying, if all of his power wasn’t locked in his body trying to hold back the inevitable.

She didn’t even pause. It was as though she couldn’t hear him at all. Because she was obeying a deeper summons from the Fae who had ensorcelled her. Who had commanded her to climb the stairs to the roof, to walk to the edge, and who, in a moment, would tell her to jump.

He must stop her, physically, and he would never make it to her in time. He could barely stand, and she was already climbing onto the rampart over the asphalt parking lot. Six stories up. And he was on his knees, trying desperately to summon his magic. If the building had been hewn stone or wood he could have borrowed its strength, but the steel and glass gave him nothing.

Miach watched, helpless, as Helene Whitney prepared to jump to her death.

FTC Advisory: Pocket/Simon and Schuster provided me with a copy of Silver Skin. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 21, 2015 |
3.5 stars

ARC from Netgalley

This is the second book of the "Cold Iron" series. It features Helene Whitney & Miach McCeht who met through the mutual friends whose story was told in book #1.
Since then, Helene's life has been turned upside down & it's a steep learning curve. Talk about alternate realities. Usually you just have to deal with a friend's taste in boyfriends or shoes but she's had to accept her BFF Beth is a Druid & part of a hidden world of immortals locked in an ancient battle of good vs evil. Whoa...maybe she'll have that drink. Or six.
There's still much she doesn't understand & would rather keep her distance from the whole frightening mess. But there's a problem. Lately she's been losing time, hours of each day she can't account for. With Beth in Ireland, there's only one person she can turn to...a man who is equal parts scary & intriguing.
She met Miach through Beth's partner Conn & felt the instant mutual attraction. Miach is a sorcerer, one of the Fae who can glamour humans & getting involved would lead to madness so she has ignored his persistent advances. Now she needs his help.
Miach quickly determines she has a geis, an invisible spell that compels her to follow the instructions of the fae who marked her. Helene works at a museum in Boston & he suspects she's being used to gain access to ancient celtic artefacts needed to open the door between 2 worlds.
Centuries ago, some of the Royal Fae were banished to another world by druids & they're more a little pissed. They want to return & assume their rightful place of ruling over the pathetic (and expendable) humans. But first they need a druid to assemble the solstice gate hidden in the basement of the museum (aah...so that's where that went...).

Miach is more than happy to offer Helene his protection but it may come at the cost of her sanity. As an immortal, he's not really into monogamy, more of a "good time, not a long time" type of guy. But when he discovers she has another more dangerous geis, it becomes a matter of life & death, leaving her with little choice. Let the games begin.
Each book focuses on the romantic relationship of one couple while continuing the overall arc of the struggle to contain the evil Fae. Boston is a hotbed of "good" fae, those who have chosen to assimilate into today's world & understand the the carnage that would result if a door is opened. There are many returning characters with new ones introduced in each instalment. The author continues her world building & long passages are devoted to celtic mythology & the bloody history between Fae & druids.
I thought the first book was pretty average. It featured Beth & Conn with Helene & Miach as secondary figures but even then, they were more interesting. I found Beth a bit wimpy but Helene is a stronger character & the perfect foil for edgy, slightly dangerous Miach.
There are several subplots involving Miach's multi-generational family & their ties to other clans who are part of Boston's criminal underworld. Many have hidden agendas & it's not immediately apparent who are good guys & who's on Team Evil. But as they race toward the inevitable showdown, all will have to choose sides & betrayal can come from those who are closest.
This is an easy, fast paced urban fantasy combining romance & mythology. Yes, it's an HEA but each book is complete unlike all those annoying series where the writer sells their book three chapters at a time with a preponderance of cliff hangers. It's not necessary to have read the first one as the author repeats much of the back story.
So if you're into folklore, action & romance and in need of a little escape from reality that won't tax the old grey matter, put this on your TBR list.
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Sad to say, I like the preview at the end of Silver Skin by D.L. McDermott better than the entire book. It had a great start and then it fell apart. I am not sure if it was because it was the second in the series (that I haven't read), but I had a terrible time understanding who everyone was, why they hated each other and why it was even titled, Silver Skin.

The end was unmemorable and by the last page I'm not sure I even cared. I finished it mainly because I don't like to give up on books that I have already invested time in and out of respect for the writer who put part of themselves into it.

ARC was provided by the publisher.
  NicolefromCarmel | Apr 16, 2014 |
I was looking forward to reading the second book in the Cold Iron series and I wasn't disappointed. Silver Skin is a wonderful, exciting fantasy and is a real page turner.

Helene Whitney keeps losing hours, sometimes days of memories. She doesn't know what to do, her best friend has just found out she is a Druid, but she is out of the country so she is unable to help her. The only other alternative is Miach MacCecht, a Fae mobster she's been trying to avoid.
When Miach MacCecht see's Helene knocking at his door he's very pleased, from the first time he saw her, he's wanted her. Miach has had to be patient.

Helene and Miach find them selves in a fight against evil beings trying to tear down a wall imprisoning the cruelest of the Fae.
As the story line progress' the sexual tension grows, will Helene lose her fear and distrust? and does Miach have strong feelings for Helene, does he want a lasting relationship?

There was lost's of romance, mystery, action, thrills and a great ending.
An exciting story and I eagerly await the next instalment to the Cold Iron series.

I received a free copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JulieD2 | Apr 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,541,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible