Once Perfect (Shattered Past, #1) by Cecy…

Once Perfect (Shattered Past, #1)

by Cecy Robson

In my search for free books from my online Overdrive Library I came across this (new to me) author and great book. You couldn't get more likable H or h. Both were from messed up childhoods but didn't let that stop them from being great people.

Off to search for the next book. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
Once Perfect is a story of a very ex-damaged rich girl and an equally damaged poor boy. Both have been dealt rough lives and are still struggling to come to terms with it.
Eve's Past lives with her every day and even though she is very attracted to Mateo, she is scare of him, because of his prison past. But once Ant shares why Teo went to jail, Eve pushes aside he fear and extends the olive branch and from that moment, Eve and Teo embark on a relationship. But when the past rears its ugly head, will they be able to stay together.
To say that I loved this book is a true understatement, the only thing I would change, would be to have the Author expand on the ending. Despite its disturbing and painful subject, the story flowed beautifully and was well informed. The characters of Mateo and Evelyn were wonderfully described and brought to life. The Author also did an amazing job on all of the support characters and I am hoping that each of them have their own books.
I give Once Perfect a 9 1/2 out of 10, but I recommend that you have your tissues ready and maybe drink with a glass of wine to get though some of the tougher issues.
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
WOW! I really loved this story. The coupling of inner city bad boy Mateo and former socialite Evelyn Preston seems all wrong at the beginning, but you find yourself cheering for these two to make it. They both have wounded dark pasts, but this story shows us that with truth, honesty, and love nothing is too much to overcome. I highly recommend this must read! ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Originally Posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Once Perfect is the first book in the Shattered Past series by Cecy Robson.

Evelyn Preston’s life changed in a day. After her father’s embezzlement scandal and suicide she went from being a society princess to be shunned by all her friends, including the man she was supposed to marry. Evelyn found support in the most unexpected place, with her ex-housekeeper’s family.
Some years have passed; Evelyn is in nursing school and works as a waitress at a nightclub to help pay the bills. Despite working there for months she keeps her distance from all of her coworkers, especially the attractive ex-con and MMA fighter head of security, Mateo Tres Santos.
Mateo takes his job very seriously, his Army background helps and he is good at what he does, including the illegal fights that account for most of his income, but with a mother and two sisters dependent of him he does what he must to help them, even if some days the risk is too high.
Since her first day at work Mateo has been attracted to Evelyn, but knowing she’s different from him he has kept his distance, until a day when Evelyn needed his help and everything changed between them.

On the beginning I wasn’t sure about Evelyn, she said and did things that I didn’t understand, but after some secrets were revealed I couldn’t help but like her and understand her. I wanted to get into the book and give that girl a big hug.
I liked her because she was strong, her life changed completely and instead of wallowing in despair she picked her pieces together and move forward. It was easy to admire her and wish for her well deserving HEA. I also loved that she was willing to admit when she was wrong.

Mateo, OMG he’s dreamy, but he broke my heart. What a tough life he has had. I loved that despite his background he’s still a caring and loving man. I love the way he was with his sisters, but didn’t care how he let his father do whatever he wanted just because he was the man of the family. I had a serious problem with that. Why? Because the way it portrait Latino families it’s completely different from the norm, at least from my norm and I’m Latina. I really hate for people who don’t know much about the Latino culture to think that all families are like Mateo’s family.

Mateo and Evelyn’s chemistry is off the charts, but before they can be together they have to deal with the personal demons that lurk around them and won’t let them be happy and honest with each other.

The secondary characters are great. From Mateo’s sisters to Mateo and Evelyn’s coworkers, they all made of Once Perfect an even more enjoyable read. They were so great I can’t help but want to know more about them. Luckily for me us, we will see more of them in books to come.

Once Perfect is not your normal NA book, it’s a lot more. It’s a very emotional book that touches very difficult topics like abuse. It’s also a book with a lot of messages; the most important is never judge others by mere appearances.

I’m looking forward to second book in this series, Once Loved. Once Loved will Lety Tres Santos’ story and it’ll be released on January 20th, 2015. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I was blown away by this book. It handled some pretty hard topics and did it well. I felt a lot of emotions while reading this book...there was humor, pain, understanding, love, friendship, and happiness. Mateo was just a great guy. He helped when he could and understood when he couldn't. His past was horrible and having Evie gave him so much. Evie's past was just as horrible and having Mateo and her friend Lourdes help her become stronger and accepted was amazing. Can't wait to read the rest of this series.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Oct 25, 2014 |

Evelyn Preston's future once looked perfect--until her wealthy father was caught in an embezzlement scandal and took his own life. Alone and struggling to pay her college tuition and bills, Evelyn finds a job as a waitress at the ultra-hip nightclub Excess, where she used to have more in common with the privileged private-school clientle than her fellow staff members. But something attracts her to the sexy six-foot-four bouncer and underground MMA fighter Mateo Tres Santos. Although they've led different lives, their troubled pasts bonds them in both survival and love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible