Hot Zone (Hotshots Book 2) by Anne Marsh

Hot Zone (Hotshots Book 2)

by Anne Marsh

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A red hot Firefighter, and one girl on the run, what could go wrong?

Opening Sentence: “Kiss the first hotshot you see.”

The Review:

Sarah Jo has taken a job cooking at the fire camp. She decides to take a dare from one of the other cooks. Sarah is going to kiss the first hotshot she sees, but luckily for her it’s Dade who she already has noticed. Dade has also noticed Sarah Jo, but he is totally shocked when she lays one on him. After that he just can’t stop thinking about her, and when a cop car shows up and Sarah Jo goes into a room with him… he realizes it won’t be that easy to stop thinking about her.

Although despite her attempts to distract him, Dade realizes that something is going with Sarah Jo, and when he actually meets, Thad, the police officer looking for her, he knows trouble is there. He follows Sarah Jo after she runs, and he is able to convince her to come back. Will she tell him what is going on before it’s too late? Will he be able save Sarah Jo from her troubled past?

This is a short, quick and easy read just like Reburn the first book in the series. I really didn’t realize you could pack so much story in so few pages! Overall, they are enjoyable reads. I liked the story, and the added element of Thad and the trouble he brings made the books even more interesting. I found a couple elements less than believable, but on that same note those same elements really endeared the story to me as well.

I like Sarah Jo, she is a bit of a wild child and definitely a free spirit. For a short read they make an interesting couple with a lot of potential. I wouldn’t expect to connect with anyone if they aren’t fleshed out and it’s not a super deep read.

Notable Scenes:

“Dating anyone in camp was a messy mistake, and he had no reason to think she might be interested anyhow.”

“That look spelled trouble.”

“The whole damn fire camp could burn down around them.”

“She’d opened her pretty little mouth and talked and talked.”

“She’d kissed him and just about gone up in flames.”

“After too many hours on her feet, Sarah Jo was glad to curl up on her bunk and hold a book instead of a spatula.”

“That was her vindication right there, but she cared for her client.”

“She generally acted like showing any kind of vulnerability was a crime.”

FTC Advisory: Kensington provided me with a copy of Hot Zone. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 2, 2016 |
Holy cow! I have read all of the books in the series so far, and I think this was the hottest book ever! With a hero by the name of Dade, who is a firefighter, and a heroine, Sarah Jo, who is running from her past by working as a cook at a fire camp, they meet for the first time by her agreeing on a dare from her co-workers to kiss the first guy who gets in line to pick up some food. It just gets more exciting and hotter from there. This is a book that I could not stop reading and for that to happen to me personally means that this book is fantabulous! Highly recommended. ( )
  gromine | Jul 2, 2014 |
I just didn't feel Dade and Sarah Jo as a long term couple. A nice summer fling, sure, but nothing beyond that. Sarah Jo wasn't a character I was interested in as her thoughts were all about herself and running away. Dade was a good man doing dangerous work so he doesn't need to be constantly wondering if she'll be there when he gets home. They just didn't mesh for me. I liked the story just not Sarah Jo.

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Jan 15, 2014 |

To Dade Johnson, fire is a danger he can handle. But the blaze he feels from the moment he lays eyes and hands, and mouth on Sarah Jo is too hot to handle. Something about the free-spirited camp cook has him throwing caution to the wind. Little does the hotshots' second-in-command know he's cozying up with a suspected arsonist… (more)

Anne Marsh is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,467,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible