Legacy Code by Autumn Kalquist

This was a wonderful book. I'm completely blown away. I was also brought to tears. I immediately downloaded the next book. I can't give this higher praise. The songs, the story, the characters are all beautifully done. Autumn is a phenomenal writer and singer/songwriter. ( )
  DTChantel | Jun 12, 2017 |
Book one of Legacy Code is Era and Dristan Corinth's story of their life on the starship Paragon. The survivors of Earth had been searching for a new planet 300 years ago. Era is asked to replaced the old Archivist while Dristan is sent with his maintenance crew were rotated down to the toxic planet Soren while Era worries about her unborn child having the defect. The survivors had been told that thanks to genetic modification to solve Earth's problems but it only made it worse. When Ea heard the rumor that her baby could be fixed if it was defective she does the unthinkable............

What an awe inspiring tale that pulls at your heart strings as Era fights for her child that must be aborted as supplies are limited and must be used for the healthy. Ms. Kalquist will make you want to read more and I can't wait to read the next book!! ( )
  Linda.Bass | Sep 10, 2015 |
I was a little confused by the story. At first, it seems that I needed a before hand story of what was going on. Why are they in space? What happened to Earth? And not much character info. Read it very fast. Different take on a life in space. ( )
  wndy2011 | May 31, 2015 |
"Hope's a dying star.
We need a supernova.
To wipe space clean,
And just start over again."

What happens when you discover that everything you believed in is all a big lie?

Era is such a strong main character. When she wants something, she'll do her best to get it. She's brave and I'm proud of her because she doesn't want anybody take her child away from her though it allegedly has Defect.

I liked the relationship between Era and Ditran. What they have is genuine love for each other. I liked their version of saying they love each other by squeezing each other's hands three times. It felt different because sometimes words, spoken repeatedly, doesn't mean anything anymore.

This was really short that I finished it fast and because of that, I cannot find anything to say anymore. For those people who wants to read about a good futuristic, sci-fi novel, I recommend this book to you guys. This ends with a cliffhanger. Ugh. There are so many questions that were left unanswered and because of that I'll definitely read the next book. ^_^

**ARC received from author in exchanged of a honest review. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
At first I didn't think that I would enjoy this book, but I'm so glad I continued reading it! The main characters were likeable and I found myself rooting for them. I could totally see myself reacting the same way Era did to her difficult circumstances. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys "Star Treky" sci-fi.
**SPOILERS AHEAD**
The ending was so sad! First Dritan gets killed in a mining accident and then poor Era is murdered for committing treason. The stage is set for a sequel and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next. I so hope that the colonists discover the secret about the defect. Getting that information out meant so much to Era that she was willing to die over it. It would be so very sad if she died in vain. ( )
  TotalSwifty | Jul 21, 2014 |

A Bestseller and Hot New Release on Amazon!
The last humans fled a dying Earth 300 years ago, but there was something they couldn't leave behind: the Legacy Code. Every colonist in the fleet carries mangled genes that damage the unborn, and half of all pregnancies must be terminated.

The day seventeen-year-old Era Corinth is supposed to find out if her baby has the Defect, her ship suffers a hull breach. And it may not have been an accident. As the investigation unfolds, Era begins to question everything she's been taught about the fleet, their search for a new Earth, and the Defect. But the answers she seeks were never meant to be found...

What Readers are Saying

"If you like dystopian novels, I would recommend this one for you!"

"I felt like I was there. The romance was sweet, there was pulse-pounding action, the friendship between the girls was amazing, and I was rooting for the characters so hard."

"A couple of chapters in and I was already hooked! I ended up staying up till midnight (as a mother of a toddler this is a rare occasion) in order to finish it. I'm Looking forward to seeing what is in store for the colonists."

"It kind of had an initial feel of Battlestar Galactica -- a civilization that has to abandon their planet and go in search of a new one. ...It had mystery, a bit of a thriller-like aspect, humour, and a taste of romance. I'm hooked enough for another taste, now I just have to wait!!"

"OH MY GOODNESS! I just finished this book...at 6:00 AM. This society crafted by Autumn Kalquist is fascinating. I can't even imagine how much time she spent carefully plotting every detail. Their existence feels so real and so frighteningly possible."

"I both love and hate this book ... but in a good way! Instantly I fell in love with the characters and storyline that Kalquist spun together. ... This story is based in the future (almost a space opera / dystopian) where the populations of earth escaped to space to find a better world. ...we arrive in a distant future where civilization exists on space ships and they have to take decades before making jumps across space - similar in a way to what I imagine Stargate..."

"It pulled me in faster than most books I have read and kept me on the edge of my seat through the end. I read it all in just a few hours."

"I started reading Legacy Code and within the first few pages I was hooked! ...it is brilliantly written with detail and imagination from the offset, It is also really well edited. I am really looking forward to where the next installment of the Legacy Code Saga is going to take me."

"Autumn Kalquist is a talented author. LEGACY CODE is easy to read, her plot is engaging, and her characters are real. Her world building is second to none, and I felt completely sucked into her story."

"Upon receiving my copy of The Legacy Code, I started reading and just could not stop, until it was over."

"I found this an enjoyable read as a Young Adult sci-fi story. The situation was interesting: a fleet of spaceships jumping through wormholes in search of a new habitable planet, after people on Earth has royally screwed things up, including the human genome. A young couple expecting a baby had to undergo a genetic test to determine if their unborn baby has "the defect," which would require it to be aborted.

This being only the first book of a series, the story is relatively short, and I was left wanting more, which is a sign that the author has captured me, the reader, successfully. Just when you start getting attached to the main characters...STUFF HAPPENS. And you MUST know what happens NEXT."
(source: Reviews on Goodreads.com)
Amazon Kindle Bestseller
#1 Bestseller: YA/ Science Fiction Mysteries & Thrillers
Top 50: Science Fiction & Fantasy / Metaphysical & Visionary Science Fiction
Top 50: YA / Romantic Mysteries & Thrillers
Top 100: YA / Mysteries
Top 100: Science Fiction / Dystopian

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,918,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible