The Miracle Thief by Iris Anthony

The Miracle Thief

by Iris Anthony

This is a book with 3 POVS, and 3 very different women. Juliana, A nun atoning for past sins. Anna, who has a deformity that makes people shun her and who looks to the saint for healing. And Gisele, a princess who is to marry a viking invader, whether she wants it or not.

I know Anna had a really crap time, as people thought the reason she was wrong was cos of some sin. And I felt for her. And yes poor Gisele, but she was a princess after all and princesses marry to build alliances. I felt most sorry for Juliana, because she had been passionate, happy in love and given all that up to become a nun. And in a time when sex before marriage was such a sin, she was troubled even years afterwards.

Some of the time jumps made me a bit confused, but I got over it.

So we have Juliana in a convent dealing with a new abbess. Gisele wondering if God really wants her to marry a heathen. And with her POV we get the politic of the era too. And lastly Anna, who bring a POV of the poor and forgotten as she struggle to get to the convent.

Even if I had already googled Gisele, I was glad for the author's afterwords about who was real or not. Nice touch.

An interesting tale about 3 women caught in different conflicts. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The Miracle Thief revolves around three women, well four if you count St. Catherine - but she is dead and the only part of her that is really present is the bone of one of her fingers. The holy relic that all of the pilgrims who come to the Abbey pray before for a miracle. The first woman the reader meets is the nun who cares for St. Catherine's altar; her name is Sister Juliana and she prays daily for forgiveness of her sins and so she can forget her past life. The second woman is young Princess Giselle who brings Julianna's past screaming into the present when she comes to the abbey with her father the king. The third woman is a dirt poor orphan forced into a pilgrimage when her mother dies in the hopes of a miracle. She is physically deformed and all who meet her think she has been cursed by God for some sin she has committed. But Anna knows not what she might have done wrong; she was born this way. What could she have done in her mother's womb to anger God?

All three women are strongly drawn characters and I liked them all. I must admit that I had no clue as to what time period I was in until I read the author's note at the end of the book. I don't know if I just missed something at the beginning or what but there were minimal clues as to when this book took place. The woman all seemed a touch modern for what turned out to be an 11th century world. That being written I did enjoy their stories and how they came together, circled and entwined. The tales are told in alternating chapters narrated by the women as they slowly release the details of their lives.

The story moved along quickly and in fact, I read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the characters, the pacing and the outcome. It's not a book to read with your feet planted firmly to the Earth. It's a book to be read with one eye towards seeking that miracle because no thief can really steal it if you maintain your faith. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Apr 14, 2014 |
Author Iris Anthony transports readers back to the Dark Ages of Europe in her intriguing new novel THE MIRACLE THIEF. The story is told from the point of view of three women, all searching for help from the relic of Saint Catherine. Juliana is a nun seeking forgiveness for a past sin. Anne is a religious pilgrim hoping to be healed of her deformity, and Gisele is a princess looking to be spared from a forced marriage to an invading pagan.

It took a while for this book to click with me, but when it did, I became absorbed in the plight of the three main characters. Ms. Anthony brings the medieval world to life, especially the condition of women and the poor during that time. My heart went out to Anne in particular. She was poor and alone, and people shunned her because of her deformity. They thought it was a punishment from God or a mark of the devil. If anyone deserved a miracle, it was Anne. This book also brought to light the politics of the church and its powerful influence over everyone.

THE MIRACLE THIEF was well-researched historical fiction starring three strong and memorable female protagonists. Some adventure, a touch of romance, and a hopeful ending made this an enjoyable read.

Source: Review copy from the publisher ( )
  bookofsecrets | Apr 1, 2014 |

Sister Juliana, Anna, and Princess Gisele--all in need of a miracle from Saint Catherine--are drawn into an epic struggle where only faith can survive as sinister forces plot to steal Saint Catherine's relic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,546,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible