A Long Time Gone (New American Library) by…

A Long Time Gone (New American Library)

by Karen White

Long Time Gone. Karen White. 2014. I can’t stay away from Karen White’s books. As much as I like murder mysteries, literary fiction, and Catholic books, I do love a well-written modern romance every once in a while. This is the story of 4 generations of Mississippi mothers and daughters that is told in flashbacks going back from the Prohibition era to the present day. For one reason or another all of the mothers have deserted their children. Vivian comes home from California because she has nowhere else to go. A skeleton is found when a cypress tree is uprooted by a storm, and Vivian solves the mystery, unravels the story of the mothers, and heals herself. This is great beach book! ( )
  judithrs | May 8, 2017 |
I have never read Karen White and enjoyed this novel. I liked the three different voices: the grandmother, the mother, and the daughter. I felt the daughter's voice the least interesting and dynamic, but the grandmother and mother contributed to understanding the daughter. The minor characters had various roles in relating the story, but the men in the story were very flat characters. I am learning to appreciate audio books, and was disappointed in having to read this story, as the descriptive language is better in listening. ( )
  delphimo | Sep 18, 2015 |
Ok read on a slightly lame tragedy. Only lame because the outcome seemed unnecessary and contrived. Girl comes from a lon line of runaway moms. All return except for the great grandmother who mysteriously disappears during a glood. The Secrets Left wirh 104 year old domestic who finally reveals what she knows. ( )
  Alphawoman | Jun 22, 2015 |
While I liked this book a great deal, I did find it getting tedious at times and somehow it is not one that I will remember for a long time. Sometimes that is the measure for me - some books stick forever, and others sort of melt into the books I've read - In order to write this review, as it was about 2 weeks ago I finished the book I think, I had to try to remember back - it will slip quietly into a book I've read and liked, but not one that will stay with me. ( )
  suzyblack | May 17, 2015 |
Karen White’s A LONG TIME GONE, a poignant multi-generational novel—takes readers back to the southern Walker home roots, in the Mississippi Delta. Dark family secrets surface, with three generations of Walker women, all fighting their own demons, and past in this poignant mother-daughter family saga.

“But whatever drove them away was never stronger than the pull of what brought them back.”

It's been nine years since Vivien Walker Moise moved to California without looking back. Unfortunately, due to a failed marriage, divorce, and a miscarriage, she finds herself back at home—where she swore she would never return. Where else does she have to go?

She now is depending on pills to get her through the day and night. She longs to see her grandmother, and misses her step-daughter, Chloe—realizing she is fighting a losing battle trying to get her away from her biological dad.

Vivien is shocked when she finds her beloved grandmother Bootsie, who raised her, has died and her estranged mother is suffering from early stages of Alzheimer's. Now she has to assume the role of caretaker (just what she wants, right)?

After a storm, a body is discovered, Vivien’s goal is to solve the mystery of the past and uncover the secrets which have haunted these woman. In the meantime, Vivien begins to discover more about herself, and what is important to her.

Flash backs from the 1920s, to 2013 in diary entries, and recounts from older close friend, Mathilda, this contemporary historical novel uncovers dark family secrets which were taken to the grave—racial tension, prohibition, addiction, bigotry, KKK, abandonment, betrayal, and murder.

Vivien knows she has to give up the pills if she stands a chance at getting to spend time with Chloe. (The relationship between these two were quite funny and endearing). Can Vivian find her way in this small town which grounds her, working on the land and her garden, will she find romance with an old flame, conquer her addiction, and be able to renew a mother daughter relationship with her step-daughter? Can she and her mother find their way back to one another before it is too late?

A moving story of forgiveness and redemption. Readers who enjoy southern fiction and a multi-generational family saga, will appreciate.

I listened to the audio version and narrators Pilar Witherspoon, Jennifer Ikeda, and Susan Bennett, did a good job--voices blending with the time.

http://judithdcollins.booklikes.com/post/903686/a-long-time-gone ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
"If only I could have told my eighteen-year-old self that leaving home was like leaving behind a part of myself, that the pull of the land and the muddy river and cotton fields would tether me to this place like an umbilical cord no matter how far I ran."

“We Walker women were born screaming into this world, the beginning of a lifelong quest to find what would quiet us. But whatever drove us away was never stronger than the pull of what brought us back....”

When Vivien Walker left her home in the Mississippi Delta, she swore never to go back, as generations of the women in her family had. But in the spring, nine years to the day since she’d left, that’s exactly what happens—Vivien returns, fleeing from a broken marriage and her lost dreams for children.

What she hopes to find is solace with “Bootsie,” her dear grandmother who raised her, a Walker woman with a knack for making everything all right. But instead she finds that her grandmother has died and that her estranged mother is drifting further away from her memories. Now Vivien is forced into the unexpected role of caretaker, challenging her personal quest to find the girl she herself once was.

But for Vivien things change in ways she cannot imagine when a violent storm reveals the remains of a long-dead woman buried near the Walker home, not far from the cypress swamp that is soon to give up its ghosts. Vivien knows there is now only one way to rediscover herself—by uncovering the secrets of her family and breaking the cycle of loss that has haunted her them for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:45 -0400)

"When Vivien Walker left her home in the Mississippi Delta, she swore never to go back, as generations of the women in her family had. But in the spring, nine years to the day since she'd left, that's exactly what happens--Vivien returns, fleeing from a broken marriage and her lost dreams for children. What she hopes to find is solace with "Bootsie," her dear grandmother who raised her, a Walker woman with a knack for making everything all right. But instead she finds that her grandmother has died and that her estranged mother is drifting further away from her memories. Now Vivien is forced into the unexpected role of caretaker, challenging her personal quest to find the girl she herself once was. But for Vivien things change in ways she cannot imagine when a violent storm reveals the remains of a long-dead woman buried near the Walker home, not far from the cypress swamp that is soon to give up its ghosts. Vivien knows there is now only one way to rediscover herself--by uncovering the secrets of her family and breaking the cycle of loss that has haunted her them for generations"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible