Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David…

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (1980)

by David D. Burns

The good news is that anxiety, guilt, pessimism, procrastination, low self-esteem, and other "black holes" of depression can be cured without drugs. In Feeling Good, eminent psychiatrist, David D. Burns, M.D., outlines the remarkable, scientifically proven techniques that will immediately lift your spirits and help you develop a positive outlook on life. Now, in this updated edition, Dr. Burns adds an All-New Consumer′s Guide To Anti-depressant Drugs as well as a new introduction to help answer your questions about the many options available for treating depression.
- Recognise what causes your mood swings
- Nip negative feelings in the bud
- Deal with guilt
- Handle hostility and criticism
- Overcome addiction to love and approval
- Build self-esteem
- Feel good everyday
  Priory | Sep 24, 2013 |
This therapy is grounded in a theory of psychology that at the root of emotional troubles are distorted thinking. Untwist the thinking, the rest follows. I think there's a lot of truth in this take on psychology. All of us run "scripts" in our heads. Naturally if you put yourself down, keep saying in your mind that a situation is hopeless, the emotions will follow. At the same time this isn't a book of trite affirmations where you chant, "I am awesome." But it does point out that while you can't always control your situation, particularly other people--you can to some extent control what you think about it, and thus how you feel about it.

To that end he identifies unhealthy habits of mind such as All-or-Nothing Thinking, Overgeneralization, Mental Filter (negativism), Disqualifying the Positive, Jumping to Conclusions, The Fortune Teller Error, Magnification and Minimization, Emotional Reasoning (Feelings are not facts), Should Statements ("I should ____"), Labeling and Mislabeling, Personalization ("It's my fault!"). The rest is elaborations, explanations and exercises, but that's it in a nutshell.

And no, you're not going to end depression just by reading it--you have to put it into practice. Just as you don't gain muscles by just reading a book about weight training. And some people may need more--therapy, medication. But I do find learning about the common distortions in thinking and more rational responses does help. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 15, 2013 |
I've started it - and I need to do the quiz before I continue.
  sumik | Jul 18, 2013 |
A lot of good analysis on the thoughts and behaviours of depressed people. This book not only explains what happens to you and your thoughts when you're depressed and what to do about it but it also discusses how to prevent depression from re-occurring once you've gotten better. I like to review various parts of this book whenever I feel mildly depressed so I can remember what is happening to me and what I can do about it instead of just sitting around and feeling bad.

There are a lot of (somewhat lengthy) writing exercises that can be used to get going in your daily life. I tried a few of the exercises and while they did motivate me to work for the most part, I felt that a seriously depressed person would probably find them far too much effort to do, and would likely not do them at all. But I guess that's what most of the struggle is: doing something-- anything-- instead of nothing is the most difficult for those who are depressed. While this book offers various techniques to get going, it is ultimately up to yourself to try them out.

serrulatae | Mar 31, 2013 |
Say you are depressed. Food doesn't taste good, the skies are always gray, you're sleeping badly and carrying a lump of lead in your chest all day every day. Take David Burns's well-researched and highly effective book daily for six weeks, and call me in the morning. Cognitive-behavioral approach works brilliantly with medication and therapy, but can also be surprisingly effective on its own. You heard it here first.

I have given away so many of these books! My daughter snagged this one at a book sale, and I'm hoping I can keep it at least for a few weeks. ( )
1 vote 2chances | Dec 30, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to Aaron T. Beck, M.D., in admiration of his knowledge and courage and in appreciation of his patience, dedication and empathy.
Depression has been called the world's number one public health problem.
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Revised and updated is the second edition of Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, with only minor changes and a new introduction. It is not a separate work, so please do not separate the two editions of this work.

On the other hand, The Feeling Good Handbook IS a separate work from Feeling Good, as it is a companion book to this one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380810336, Mass Market Paperback)

- Recognise what causes your mood swings
- Nip negative feelings in the bud
- Deal with guilt
- Handle hostility and criticism
- Overcome addiction to love and approval
- Build self-esteem
- Feel good everyday

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:02 -0400)

"The clinically proven drug-free treatment for depression."--cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible