While Love Stirs: A Novel (The Gregory…

While Love Stirs: A Novel (The Gregory Sisters) (Volume 2)

by Lorna Seilstad

After graduating from Fannie Farmer's School of Cookery in 1910, Charlotte Gregory is ready to take on the world. She is excited to have the opportunity to travel, give lectures on nutrition, and give cooking cooking demonstrations on the newest kitchen revolution, the gas stove. It doesn't hurt that the gas company has hired the handsome singer Lewis Mathis to perform at her lectures. Lewis encourages her work, especially introducing fresh, nutritious and appetizing food to patients in hospitals. But young hospital superintendent Dr. Joel Brook doesn't think those changes are needed, even if the tight budget he has to work with would allow it.

Every time Charlotte and Joel are together, they argue; what will happen when they are forced to work together on a fund raiser for the hospital?

This is the 2nd book in The Gregory Sisters series, but it is also a story that can stand alone. I enjoyed this story because of the author's attention to historical detail. There was indeed a real Fannie Farmer, and she had a cooking school; she is also credited with writing the first cook book using standardized measurements.

I actually enjoyed the secondary story in this book, about Charlotte's younger sister Tessa getting a job at a theater and into trouble, more than the main story about Charlotte. I'm looking forward to the 3rd book in this series when Tessa will be get to be the "star" of the story. ( )
  mom2acat | Sep 7, 2014 |
Charlotte Gregory was young, spirited, and unflinching in standing for what she believed in. As a new, 1910, graduate of Fannie Farmer’s School of Cookery, she passionately wanted to apply and share all that she had learned. Her dream was to be a chef for an upscale restaurant, and eventually have her own. She quickly learned that women chefs were not accepted when she tried to apply for her first job. She alienates herself from the chef even more by being outspoken about the unsanitary conditions of his kitchen.
Angered and discouraged, she heads to the hospital to see her beloved sister who has just had a baby. Surely her new niece will cheer her up. All is well until her sister’s meal tray comes. Charlotte is shocked the “gray gruel and weak tea” that is supposed to be her meal. Once again Charlotte launches into a heated discussion about how recovering and nursing mothers need healthy food to gain their strength. She confronts her sister’s doctor, Joel Brooks. An appointment is made for the following day to discuss the hospital’s dietary inadequacies. He is faced not only with a demanding medical practice but also juggling an impossible budget for his department. Even if he wanted her services he could not afford them and he seriously doubted a “cooking” school graduate had the knowledge. This is the beginning of many confrontations and disagreements with Charlotte and Dr. Joel. Even though they mix like gas and fire, they struggle to deny the growing attraction to each other.
Charlotte has to make a living so she enters a cooking contest and wins! Her prize is the job of traveling around the country giving demonstrations to convince women that the newest invention, the gas stove, was safe, easy, and time saving.
The book had a lot of humor, not the silly slapstick stuff. Moments in the story that definitely gave me a chuckle. I liked the historical information nutrition and meal preparation during that era.
Charlotte, Dr. Brooks, and Charlotte’s youngest sister, Tessa were all faced with difficult situations that tested their moral character and Christian beliefs. Do you follow God or face the loss of something dear to you?
The interactions between the main characters and other people represented many examples of learning to deal with discord and confrontation, with not only patience but through their mistakes. There was also lots of adventure and excitement.
This book was a fun read!
I received this book free from Revell publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Moonpie72 | Jun 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book and seeing how Charlotte was not afraid to step out and do something that was not "normal" for the time. I gained a lot of insight as to how the new things were marketed during this time and that was interesting to me as someone who likes learning history through fiction. Charlotte is not afraid to practice what she knows and share it make things better for those around her, especially her family. She has learned much about nutrition and want to help others get better. In doing so she has a bit of conflict with one of the doctors, Joel, but eventually they come to an understanding. I had read some previous books by this author that I enjoyed and I liked seeing how some of the previous characters were progressing. You don't have to had read her other books to enjoy this one though.

I received this book free to review. ( )
  polarmath | May 29, 2014 |
I have read several of Lorna Seilstad’s books, and they just keep getting better and better. The title of this book is a real play on word; with the main character a graduate of Fanny Farmer’s Cooking School, and that would be Charlotte Gregory, whom we met in When Love Calls. Now don’t worry if you haven’t read the first book in this series, you can get caught up really quick in this book, but don’t deprive yourself of another great book.
With this book we find a young woman trying to make her way in a man’s world. She even wants to help at hospitals get patients back on their feet with more nutritious meals. Loved the way she also included flowers, and arrangements to entice their appetites.
We also have a young doctor, who is making his way in taking charge at the local hospital. Somehow the tools he needs in his business, microscopes, are not the priority, and the allotted funds are missing? He has also been burned in the romance area, by a cheating fiancé.
Put these two type A personalities together, and you guessed it, a lot of bickering. There is also another young man in the picture here. Lewis, a sweet talented young man, who has a passion for Charlotte, he seems to be there and anticipates her needs, but can he capture her heart?
You will really chuckle at some of the antics here, I never wanted it to end, and with one more sister in the family, I hope we will have another book.

I received this book through the Revell Book Blogger Tour, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | May 23, 2014 |
While Love Stirs by Lorna Seilstad – A Book Review
This novel takes its theme from 2 Kings 4:1-7, the story of the widow who owed a great debt after her husband’s death. She went to Elisha for help, and he told her to collect all the empty vessels she could from her neighbors and pour out her remaining oil into all of the vessels. Once the vessels were full, the flow of oil ceased. He told her to sell the oil, pay off her debt, and for her and her son to live on the rest. Lorna Seilstad tells a story of relying on God to use what we have, and to trust Him to fill our empty vessels. A message most of us need to be reminded of from time to time.
The story is set in the early 1900s. Charlotte Gregory has trained in the science of cookery under the tutelage of Fannie Farmer. After finding it difficult to locate someone who would allow a female chef in their kitchen, Charlotte accepts a position giving cooking demonstrations to promote the use of gas ovens. Most homes had coal or wood burning ovens. She also, to the greatest degree possible, educated nurses in nutrition’s role in the healing process, frequently going head-to-head with Dr. Joel Brooks. Sparks of all kinds fly whenever Charlotte and Joel are together, and as if they were “cooking with gas,” those sparks cause one explosion after another in their relationship.
This book is sweet and romantic, the kind of story Hallmark movies are made of. While there is a bit of intrigue, it definitely takes a backseat in this second story of the Gregory sisters. The first book concentrated on the oldest sister, Hannah, and I imagine the next will reveal more of the life of the youngest sister, Tessa. Charlotte, the middle sister’s story was easy to follow, and there were no real spoilers for going back to book one at a later time. This story moves at rather a slow pace, but there is enough tension between the main characters to hold the reader’s interest. If historical romantic fiction is your genre of choice, I predict that you will be pleased with this selection. If your preferences run in a different direction, this won’t be the book to sway you into becoming a fan of the genre.
Thank you to Revell for providing this book in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  claudia.castenir | May 22, 2014 |

After graduating from Fannie Farmer's School of Cookery in 1910, Charlotte Gregory is ready to stir things up. She is thrilled to have the opportunity to travel, lecture, and give cooking demonstrations on the very latest kitchen revolution--the gas stove--and certainly doesn't mind that the gas company has hired the handsome Lewis Mathis to perform at her lectures. Lewis encourages her work, especially her crusade to introduce fresh, appetizing, nutritious food to those convalescing in hospitals. But young hospital superintendent Dr. Joel Brooks is not convinced any changes should be made--especially by this outspoken young woman.

When Charlotte and Joel are coerced into planning a fund-raising gala for the hospital, will this combustible pair explode?

Fan favorite Lorna Seilstad is back with a breezy, lighthearted love triangle that will keep readers guessing. Attention to historic detail adorns the timeless story of a young woman looking for true love and making her way in a rapidly changing world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

At the turn of the 20th century an independent young woman with new ideas must decide between two suitors while in pursuit of her dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,558,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible