Rufus and Ryan Go to Church! by Kathleen…

Rufus and Ryan Go to Church!

by Kathleen Long Bostrom

611,268,033 (2.5)None

I read Rufus and Ryan Go to Church!, in exchange for honest review from Flyby Blog Promotions. The book was written by Kathleen Long Bostrom and illustrated by Rebecca Thornburgh. The book was published by Candy Cane Press/Ideals Books. I received a board book in the mail for review.

Why I chose the book: I wanted to review this book because I just started going back to church in 2012. I had not been previously since 2010 except once or twice. In two years, I had given birth to my two year old, in addition to having my oldest move from Georgia to Texas to live with me. I had to start going back to church, if not for me, for my children. I had to find the right church for my kids. I had three requirements: a nursery for my baby (who was almost 1 at the time); a special needs program for my oldest; and transportation to get to and from church. I don't want my kids with me in the sanctuary. They need to learn with people their own age and disability. Not to mention, they don't act right. Kalen likes to knock pens out my hand. Brad can't sit still. He also tries to run around. I have had issues with a church before that did not have a SPED program, and did not like Brad making a bunch of noise in church. When I had Brad for the weekend, I had to decide between staying at home or taking Brad to church and risk being asked to leave. I didn't even think about the pastor, but luckily, I found a great church with an excellent Pastor and assistant pastor. I googled churches but all the ones, who had special needs programs was too far away. I needed a church within reasonable distance: 30 minutes or less. I passed by my current church all the time, to go to Wal-Mart and a few other places. I have no idea what caused me to email the church, but I did. They met all my requirements and then some. The church is less than 5 minutes away from my house. Great special buddies program. The nursery program is awesome. The transportation leaders are amazing as well.

Back to the book:In the book, Rufus and Ryan are going to church. The church is full of people, from the old to the young, including a stuffed monkey. The book teaches kids to be quiet and be still, which is something my nephew needs to do :-). When I went with my mother to church, my nephew crawled under the seats and just would not be still. In the book, Ryan listens, sings, and prays. The book will be a great read to the kids, grandkids, and other kids, in the neighborhood. Also great for church nurseries as well.
  staciewyatt | Mar 18, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0824919033, Board book)

In Rufus and Ryan Go to Church! Ryan explains to his stuffed monkey, Rufus, what is happening as they attend church on Sunday morning. He lets Rufus know when it's time to sing and to pray and to be quiet.

About the series: Rufus and Ryan is a new series of board books for preschoolers, featuring Ryan, an energetic little boy, and his stuffed monkey Rufus. The series focuses on religious and church concepts, as well as character traits and development. The text is presented in young Ryan's voice as he teaches Rufus about the things he is learning himself.

In about 150 age-appropriate words, author Kathleen Bostrom brings a delightfully light touch to the text as she provides an introduction to practices and experiences that many children are exposed to long before they understand why. And children everywhere will relate to the idea of explaining their surroundings to a favorite companion as they go about their daily activities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:21 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,198,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible