Vampire's Hunger (The Awakening Series) by…

Vampire's Hunger (The Awakening Series)

by Cynthia Garner

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A necromancer, vampires and zombies make for a dark and somewhat depressing tale about a woman who starts the zombie apocalypse and the vampires who want to use her for their own gain.

Opening Sentence: Kimber Treat, one of only a few necromancers licensed by the county of Summit, Ohio, pushed open the door to the Medical Examiner’s lab.

The Review:

I had a little trepidation before I started this story. Kimber Treat is a necromancer and from the synopsis, I just kept thinking of Anita Blake and if there would be any parallels. I really shouldn’t have worried. I felt that Vampire’s Hunger was more like The Walking Dead with vampire politics. The vampire politics almost outweigh the zombie part of the storyline because there is zombie fighting but overall it seems that the zombies are just a setting of this world.

Vampire’s Hunger starts off with Kimber bringing back a murder victim to find out his killer but what should have been a routine reanimation ends up bringing about the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Kimber shares one really hot kiss with a vampire before cutting to six months later when the world has been overtaken with zombies. Kimber was once sure of her necromancy powers is now quite scared and tentative to use her powers. She is, however, resilient and a survivor. She does whatever it takes to survive. Kimber and her friends are holed up in an apartment complex that has been safeguarded to keep away zombies.

Kimber’s roommates are her very human friend, Natalie, and two very extreme protectors, Aodhán, a fey and Duncan, a vampire. Duncan has declared himself protector of Kimber for more than one reason. His maker wants Kimber to raise a long dead vampire which could just worsen things with the zombie apocalypse. Duncan also knows, if the humans die than vampires won’t live much longer either. Kimber wants to find a cure to defeat the zombie virus but it is the terrible things a vampire queen wants her to do that take over the story.

Kimber begins the story quite sure of her powers but after “the end of the world” she questions her powers and refrains from using them. She is also understandably depressed for bringing about the deaths of so many people. She does wallow a bit in self-pity but her friends try to keep her from going too far. She eventually finds the strength she needs to live in this terrible world. One thing that did drive me crazy about her was that her parents were killed because of her association with Duncan. She brings this up a lot, often complaining about it to herself but then acting different from her thoughts.

Duncan is an incredibly hot vampire. He has been doing everything he can to keep Kimber alive. He does have an ulterior motive for keeping Kimber around so that did make me lose a teeny tiny amount of respect for him.

I really enjoyed the secondary characters and their sexual chemistry. Natalie and Aodhán are around for most of the story but it was Aodhán’s mysteriousness that really drew me in to this character.

Overall, Vampire’s Hunger was kind of like The Walking Dead with vampires added. The vampire element seemed to override the zombies so I was kind of left with a lot more questions than answers but hopefully the next book in this series, Vampire’s Thirst, will answer those and focus more on the zombie element of the story.

Notable Scene:

“If six months ago someone had told me I’d be into zombie bondage, I’d have punched him in the face.” He heaved a sigh and set about lashing the zombie’s ankles to the feet of the vending machine, this time using rope. “There. He’s as secure as I can make him.”

“Okay.” Kimber drew a deep breath. “You stand where he can see you and keep his attention on you. Maybe he won’t realize I’m down at his feet.” She dropped to her knees and sidled forward slowly. The zombie kept its gaze on Aodhán, hands grasping in the air as the undead thing tried to get hold of the fey warrior.

With trembling fingers, she slipped her hand beneath the zombie’s tattered slacks and rested her hand on his leg, just above where his sock had scrunched around his ankle. Closing her eyes, she focused inward, drawing on her ability to tap into the Unseen. After another moment or so she stretched out with her mind to the bit of the Unseen that animated the zombie. A few seconds ticked by and nothing happened. Then raw, black energy surged up, lunging for her just like it had all those months ago with Richard Whitcomb.

The zombie went crazy, jerking against his bindings, his mouth open, ferocious snarls coming from his throat. His teeth snapped together, the sound loud in the otherwise silent basement. She heard the rattle of chains, then a screech and a metallic moaning sound. It took a few seconds for her to realize the zombie was pulling free of his chains.

Just as Aodhán yelled her name, she scrambled away from the undead thing. The fey warrior pulled his sword and shoved the blade through the zombie’s mouth with an upward thrust. He twisted the sword and pulled it free, leaving the lifeless shuffler dangling from his remaining bindings.

She sat on the floor, dragging in air, and tried to calm her thundering heart. The coolness of the concrete bled through the fabric of her sweatpants.

“Well,” Aodhán said. He wasn’t even out of breath. “That went well.”

FTC Advisory: Forever Yours/Hachette Book Group provided me with a copy of Vampire’s Hunger. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 9, 2015 |
This was the first book in a new series that has humans, vampires, fey, and zombies. Oh yeah, some of the humans are necromancers. It was an alright story, nothing I haven't read before. It was a cross between The Walking Dead and Twilight. There were a few times the time line seemed off, once being the age of Duncan, the vampire. In the beginning he is telling his story and he's only been a vamp for a little over 80 years then towards the end he is said to have given his dedication to the Queen for over two centuries. I guess I'll try to read the next in the series, but it won't be a top priority. I just didn't really feel anything for Kimber. At times she seemed strong and able to kick-ass then she would seem almost juvenile. Maybe it was just me, but I just couldn't seem to care for her.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Cynthia Garner brings us a her take on the Zombie Apocalypse with the first book in her Awakened Series, VAMPIRE'S HUNGER.

Although I ended up really liking Kimber, it took me a bit of time to warm up to her character. She is very headstrong and although that is a good trait to have, I didn't agree with some of her thoughts and decisions. Once she got over some of her issues it was much easier to warm up to her. Kimber blames herself for the situation the world is in. There is way more to Kimber than meets the eye and learning about her powers not only scares her but opens her up to what seem to be danger. Kimber also refuses to get romantically involved with Duncan because of what he is even though she is very attracted and drawn to him. Duncan is a vampire and wants Kimber to help him for selfish reasons but he doesn't expect to fall in love with her along the way. No matter how much she pushes him away he still does everything to protect her and try to win her over. When she finally gives in, things are pretty fast and furious. His storyline brings him to a place of power by the end of the book. Kimber is by his side but anything could happen.

I enjoyed the secondary cast of characters. Kimber's roommates have their own roles to play but bring along a nice amount of interaction and entertainment. Their struggles to stay alive during hard times has brought them all close together and they are very protective of each other. By the end of the book they are all in a better place.

You are left with a lot of questions at the end of VAMPIRE'S HUNGER. You have a glimpse of what is to come but anything could go wrong and there are a few hints that things will not be easy. Of course this is the Zombie Apocalypse so do we really expect it to be? I enjoyed VAMPIRE'S HUNGER enough to read on to book 2 when it is available.

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Apr 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible