Association Renewed by Nicholas Dinnear

Association Renewed

by Nicholas Dinnear

THE Story is set in Ireland in 1924, Detective Eaghan Ryan takes a bizarre case involving unexplained deaths. He teems up with Eairdan Welsh a proclaimed Psychic who is also his estrangled child hood friend. When they begin the investigation it seems there is something Supernatural going on. But can they stop the killingd before they end up dead themselves? I love the historical setting with the paranormal twists to this murder mystery it made a fascinating read. I highly recommend if you love paranormal/murder mysteries. ( )
  Georgiann | Jul 17, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading Association Renewed, a historical murder mystery set in the 1920s in Ireland. The book comes with paranormal elements, so we have a nice mix there. The story is interesting, but the narrative pace was sometimes too slow for me. Sometimes, it felt as though the narrator spoon-fed us too many details rather than relying on our intelligence as readers. ( )
  AliceHReads | Jun 12, 2014 |
This is a fast paced historical/paranormal/murder mystery set in 1924 Ireland.
I really liked the background story between Aidan and Eoghan. The other characters did not have the same degree of development. Eventhough it was set in the Free State during the immediate years after the War of Independence historical fact was sparse. I didn't find it convincing in that respect. I would have expected to read more about how the Revolution and civil war shaped the mindset of the society both politically and culturally in which the characters found themselves. They didn't encounter anyone speaking Irish on their visit to the Galway coast and the dialogue between the characters was quite stilted and formal. The overuse of the word 'whom' was irritating and more annoyingly the writing was interspersed with American grammar and expressions that are not widely used here in Ireland.

Despite these flaws- the story itself is very enjoyable and the author shows much promise. It has parallels with Jane Anne Krentz's 'Arcane Society' series which may appeal to that fan base. I hope Aidan and Eoghan's adventures are not over. Who knows, maybe they'll even travel as far as Inis Eoghain in a future investigation! ( )
  Inishowen_Cailin | Jun 3, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book. The author obviously has a good vocabulary but there were a lot of things that distracted me from the story and made it difficult for me to read. I won't give it a 1-star because I didn't hate it, but I won't be keeping a copy to re-read. The book could probably use a copy and line-editor. I went in-depth on the cons for the author's benefit because he has promise even though I didn't like this particular book.

Pros:
- The story idea was good
- Good vocabulary

Cons:
- The characters felt flat and all seemed like they were talking with the same voice.
- The dialogue felt unreal and forced most of the time. One example is: "'Indeed I am not,' Aiden exclaimed." People don't ordinarily talk like that. Perhaps they did in 1924 in Ireland, where this story takes place, but I wouldn't bank on it.
- A lot of descriptions are vague. One example is: "...drawing a large knife from somewhere on his person which was soon brandished..." (I like detail, so instead of "somewhere on his person", maybe he could have reached into his long overcoat and pulled a hidden knife from an inside pocket)
- A lot of descriptions are redundant. One example is: "He pulled a battered watch from his waistcoat pocket and while it was out, gave it a wind." (We already know the watch is out because he took it from his pocket - we don't need to read it twice)
- A lot of poor descriptions too. One example is: "...around which several houses were built and the obligatory local shop come public house, the likes of which..." ("obligatory" Why? Maybe a description of the shops so the reader can picture them better and realize for themselves that they are typical); "shop come public"? (I can guess what this means but it is confusing to read and thus the reader is pulled from the story to decipher it); "the likes of which" (a bit passive for my tastes)
- Some minor punctuation issues. Not a huge deal but still took me out of the story quite a bit. ( )
  EricMaier | May 22, 2014 |
Association Renewed by Nicholas Dinnear

Set in 1924 Ireland, Detective Eoghan Ryan takes on a bizarre case involving unexplained deaths. he teams up with his estranged childhood friend Aidan Walsh a proclaimed psychic.

As they begin the investigation it sees there is something supernatural going on. But will they be able to stop the killings before they end up dead themselves?

I really enjoyed this read. The historical setting with a paranormal twists to this murder mystery made for an exciting and original all night read. I highly recommend to those who like paranormal/murder/mystery. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | May 19, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Nicholas Dinnear's book Association Renewed was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Nicholas Dinnear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,009,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible