When War Calls (The Heroes Fall) by Zy Rykoa

When War Calls (The Heroes Fall)

by Zy Rykoa

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byMillieHennessy

No tags.

Description from Rykoa's website (where the ebook is free!): "After learning of the catastrophic continental shifts, powerful energy-wielding people roaming the planet, and an illness that will him, Jaden realises that he has decisions to make-decisions that could mean the life and death of millions as he joins world war 4."

This was another book where I was intrigued by the idea, but felt the writing fell flat. Rykoa reimagined earth and I really could have used a map. Names of places (cities, counties, continents?) were referred to and I honestly had no clue where anyone was in relation to others. I constantly felt lost and was never really immersed in the environment.

My other main issue was the lack of character development. Jaden was very wooden. Another character, Raquel, seemed only to speak in cryptic, cliche phrases. As soon as a character appeared, readers were given a full physical description, as well as told what kind of personality they have. Nothing was shown to the reader - bad guys were evil because we were told they were. I think young adult readers should have been given a little more credit - leave more to the imagination and let them determine character traits based on actions.

Rykoa did infuse what could have been another teen dystopia with magic and political conflict, which made it feel more unique, but the writing needed more development. This book was just middle of the road for me. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Mar 26, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,430,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible