De-Partment by Brian Martinez

De-Partment

by Brian Martinez

731,138,814 (3.67)None

No tags.

Full Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the author, via LibraryThing, in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts: Who doesn’t like a dystopian novel right now? They’re ridiculously popular and I’m without a doubt one of the people who get completely sucked it. It’s like a reading vortex that you never really make it back out of again.

De-Partment was legitimately disturbing. In the beginning I just kept reading because I kept thinking to myself that it can’t possibly get worse or more graphic. Well, I was wrong. It continued on a very messed up path and never veered into normal territory. It definitely made this a very unique book though. It was like a horror version of The Hunger Games meets The 13th Prophet and a little Repo Men thrown in.

The writing was good, although extremely graphic (I don’t even really mean that in a sexual sense). You have to give an author credit though if they can make you picture things that you’d never come up with on your own.

Most of the characters were terrible and I didn’t like them. In my defense, I’m fairly certain you weren’t supposed to really like anyone. The main character, Tuxxel was okay. There wasn’t anything extraordinary about him, but he wasn’t a terrible guy either. He just seemed like your average, run-of-the-mill guy living during hard times in a dystopian universe.

Now it comes down to whether or not I would recommend it. As long as you’re going in with eyes wide open to the idea of some unpleasant and even unsettling imagery, you’ll be fine. If that’s your kind of book, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. If that doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, I would skip De-Partment.

For more reviews, check out reviewsinapinch.wordpress.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | May 15, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. This book is well written and thought provoking. I would recommend this book for everyone to read. This book reminds you that you shouldn't believe everything you hear or read, or trust everyone. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | May 13, 2014 |
[De-Partment] by [Brian Martinez] was a dark view of what a world had become and how easy it is for those in power to deceive the population that what they are doing is for the greater good.

Unfortunately for this system there is one person who still asks questions. As what he suffers and sees increases he becomes hardened to the system but not enough to submit to his death. Suddenly the fact that he fought back gives him worth. The question is who will he become with this new power.

Also there was a poem in the book also written by [Martinez]. I found this very thought provoking. The voice of the character seems to be godlike but he is realizing his mistakes. Left me wondering about my own choices. ( )
  MsHooker | Apr 6, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Brian Martinez's book De-Partment was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Brian Martinez is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,301,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible