Drake: An Oral History of the Dragon War…

Drake: An Oral History of the Dragon War (Book 1: Emergence)

by Mike Kraus

851,035,133 (3.75)None

All dragon lovers will enjoy this read, and it's a quick and fulfilling read at that.

What drew me in was the style of writing. At first I wasn't sure about the interviews, but before I knew it, I was at the end, wanting more. The radio transcribes were unique too and all the bits fit the fast paced motion of the story.

I enjoyed the dips into history between China, Korea, and the US. Enjoyed the fantasy angles and the believability dead-on. Loved the typical southern law man out of all the interviewees. Someone one else mentioned it, but the EOTWAWKI bits had me laughing.

My biggest complaint is sometimes we didn't know whose interview we were reading at first. It wasn't consistent, but a few here and there, I just didn't know who it was until question three or four. Maybe I overlooked them; I read fast and sometimes that happens. I'll keep reading. I hope (and assume) we win the war! ( )
  AuthorRaeZRyans | May 24, 2014 |
This book is great if you are into dragons. The start of the book is painfully slow and if you can get through it, the book picks up and is much better. Overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to people who like this type of book. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | May 13, 2014 |
I received this book as a Member Giveaway on LibraryThing.

I am a fan of dragons. I tend to think of them as intelligent and indifferent to humanity. That being said, I still found this book to be a great read. I love the style of a series of interviews about the topic of the Dragon War. If you have seen Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real, by Discovery Channel, you will have a great idea of the presentation of this book.

Despite being against my general beliefs about dragons, I'm interested to see where this series goes. Good work. ( )
  Velmeran | Apr 26, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book from the very beginning. As someone who lived World War Z (before Brad Pitt turned a poignant and visceral novel about humanity into another zombie action movie) I connected with it almost immediately. The interview format and the slight gaps that allow the readers imagination to really work help to create a personal and connected story. Books about dragons are normally action filled fantasy tales, however this book takes a different approach and uses the implied action as a back drop for the people and their reactions to this preternatural catastrophy.
  finaldrivex | Apr 16, 2014 |
This book has a very dry slow start, reads like a textbook with no feeling.Improves dramatically when the "interviews " begin . I did enjoy the book but I almost abandoned it in the beginning. Would like to read the next book in the series. ( )
  beccae | Apr 12, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mike Kraus's book Drake: An Oral History of the Dragon War (Book 1: Emergence) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mike Kraus is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,825,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible