Gender Failure by Rae Spoon

Gender Failure

by Rae Spoon

Award-winning writers & musicians Ivan and Rae powerfully "explore and expose their failed attempts at fitting into the gender binary." Moving and insightful for anyone who identifies as LGBT. ( )
  NorthStarCC | Sep 30, 2017 |
This was such a good, important book. Having these two different and similar voices share their experiences and all the complexities of those experiences is so healing for me; I wish this book existed when I was a lot younger. ( )
  aijmiller | Dec 24, 2016 |
A very funny book about a very hard topic. This about sums it up; telling the doctor doing your top surgery to "please measure twice and cut once," the kind of laughing you do so you don't cry. Plus the idea of going into "gender retirement" is a new, and much needed creation in the world. ( )
  knownever | Jun 9, 2015 |

Ivan E. Coyote and Rae Spoon are accomplished, award-winning writers, musicians, and performers; they are also both admitted "gender failures." In their first collaborative book, Ivan and Rae explore and expose their failed attempts at fitting into the gender binary, and how ultimately our expectations and assumptions around traditional gender roles fail us all. Based on their acclaimed 2012 live show that toured across the United States and in Europe, Gender Failure is a poignant collection of autobiographical essays, lyrics, and images documenting Ivan and Rae's personal journeys from gender failure to gender enlightenment. Equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking, it's a book that will touch LGBTQ readers and others, revealing, with candor and insight, that gender comes in more than two sizes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,166,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible