Sufficient Ransom: A Novel by Sylvia Sarno

Sufficient Ransom: A Novel

by Sylvia Sarno

196537,190 (4.33)None

Sufficient Ransom by Sylvia Sarno is a mystery set in San Diego and Tijuana. Ann and her husband's son, Travis, is kidnapped. They believe an over zealous child protective services worker has him.

It takes about fifty pages for Sufficient Ransom to find its voice and its pacing. The introduction of Ann and Travis (while the husband is on a business trip) had me siding with the obsessed CPS worker, Kiki. Although we are told how Ann feels for her son, we don't get into her head enough to actually feel it.

Meanwhile, Travis is acting more afraid at bedtime than a child his age probably should. He's acting like he's being abused. There's also the typical excuse given, that Travis's bruises happened because he fell (off a swing). So I was willing to believe Kiki's suspicions even though I was supposed to be feeling for Ann.

Once things settle, though, the characters break out of their initially assigned roles, Sufficient Ransom becomes an interesting mystery. There are plenty of role reversals, betrayals, and unexpected alliances, all in the name of getting Travis home safely. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 15, 2014 |
Ann Olson leads an ordinary life. Until the day her son Travis disappears. She does not take it lightly and she will not wait for him to be found.She soon finds out other children in her area have disappeared and she wonders if these cases are connected to Travis's disappearance ? A truly great story of suspense , a real page turner. I liked the fact of not knowing who she could trust, everyone and anyone could be a suspect. I felt her love , determination, and desperation to find her child. A Mother willing to go to any extreme to find her child. I highly recommend for thriller / drama lovers ( )
  Georgiann | Jun 10, 2014 |
When her young son disappears from the back yard a mother is determined to track him down.
She is hindered at every turn by unhelpful and suspicious government agencies who suspect her to be involved, the police and drug dealers. The story is aided by a clever plot that slowly draws each piece of the story together, and an interesting cast of characters.
A well written debut novel. ( )
  WWDG | May 14, 2014 |
Sufficient Ransom
by Sylvia Sarno

Sufficent Ransom, by Sylvia Sarno, is an emotional mystery following a mother searching desperately for her son. In our main character, Ann, Sarno presents a probing look at a mother's heart spanning the entire spectrum of insecurity, fear, distrust, hate, acceptance, and love.
Sufficient Ransom has a great plot as well as an excellent line-up of characters. Sarno's writng style is clear and easy to follow. Her characters are well developed, as much so as a seasoned author, and her characters are varied and easy to get to know. Parts of the story become a bit unrealistic, perhaps a bit of Mission Impossible mixed in for a short time. We are given a highly unpredictable mystery that keeps you reading and just when you think you have it figured out she throws in a new twist. One would be amiss not to mention the way Sarno handles religion in her story. We were promised a look at the role of religion in a thriller. And indeed we are given that. What was unexpected and distasteful was the broad paintbrush Sarno uses on religion, churches and clergy. Depicting as predators, liars, cheats, murders, child neglectors and brain washers even using sermon text and bible verses. Why muddle up a fiction book with so much of this? Perplexing.
Sarno first novel was better than expected. I anticipate great things from her ( )
  Books4Nana | Apr 22, 2014 |
Sufficient Ransom: A Novel by Sylvia Sarno

Ann Olson leads an ordinary life. Until one day her son Travis disappears. Ann does not take this lightly and she is not going to wait for him to be found. She finds out that other children in her area are missing as well and wonders are these cases connected to her son's disappearance?

A great story of suspense. I liked the feel of not knowing who to trust, anyone and everyone could be suspects. Besides the nail-biting tension and suspense, I felt the love and desperation of a mother searching for her child. A woman determined and willing to go to any extreme to find her boy.

Thriller/drama lovers should enjoy Sufficient Ransom: A Novel. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Apr 22, 2014 |

"The role of religion in tragic circumstances is given a well-crafted twist in this intriguing thriller." ForeWord Clarion Reviews

Ever wonder what it felt like to have it all—family, career, health, money—and not be happy?
Ann Olson takes her life for granted until her young son, Travis, disappears from the backyard one evening. Searching for her son, Ann throws caution to the wind. Soon, she finds herself enmeshed in the seedy world of Mexican drug dealers who operate just across the border in Tijuana. Does Ann, an atheist, embrace Christianity despite her husband warning that her pastor friend is more interested in converting her than in finding Travis? Does she make it out of the drug tunnel alive, or is her rashness her downfall? And is Travis’s disappearance related to that of other recently missing children in San Diego? A story of a mother’s love, courage in the face of evil, and her unexpected journey of self-discovery along the way

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sylvia Sarno's book Sufficient Ransom: A Novel was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible