The Peripheral by William Gibson

The Peripheral (edition 2014)

by William Gibson

1,2045010,519 (3.9)64
Where Flynne and her brother, Burton, live, jobs outside the drug business are rare. Fortunately, Burton has his veteran's benefits, for neural damage he suffered from implants during his time in the USMC's elite Haptic Recon force. Then one night Burton has to go out, but there's a job he's supposed to do-a job Flynne didn't know he had. Beta-testing part of a new game, he tells her. The job seems to be simple: work a perimeter around the image of a tower building. Little buglike things turn up. He's supposed to get in their way, edge them back. That's all there is to it. He's offering Flynne a good price to take over for him. What she sees, though, isn't what Burton told her to expect. It might be a game, but it might also be murder.… (more)
Member:robzand
Title:The Peripheral
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Putnam Adult (2014), Hardcover, 496 pages
Rating:***

The Peripheral by William Gibson

Walkaway: A Novel by Cory Doctorow (melmore)
    melmore: Both works extrapolate from our current situation to imagine not-dissimilar futures. Both are concerned with questions of wealth distribution, resource depletion, human agency, equality, freedom. Both have super bad-ass female protagonists (who are nonetheless recognizable human beings).… (more)

English (48)  French (1)  All languages (49)
Extraordinary. Maybe his best book. At least, my favorite. I wish I had time to write a longer review. But if I did, I probably wouldn't be able to shut up.

UPDATE: Read it a second time. Still great. ( )
  ralphpalm | Nov 11, 2019 |
I certainly struggled to start off with, but after 60 or so pages the story starts to emerge. As with other Gibson books he injects lots of terms/names and never quite tells you what they mean, although eventually you get the drift that her is referring to players, alternate histories or girl shaped robots.

Interesting as always, but perhaps a bit Ex Machina in places. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Confusing but fun. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I’m kind of on the fence about this one? I liked it enough to finish it, but wow did it take a long time to get going. The setup at the beginning of the book is very, very, very slow. And I must have missed some stuff, because some things at the end still don’t make sense, but I honestly don’t care enough to try and find out.

There was a lot of neat technology stuff, though. That was cool. And the way time travel (ish?) worked was neat.
  bluesalamanders | Dec 31, 2018 |
Far from perfect, but at its heart is a unique and well-executed premise that I've never seen explored before. His success in exploring the central counterfactual (to identify it would be a spoiler) pardons a lot of Gibson's other sins herein, even the fact that the first 100 pages of this book are basically incomprehensible due to constantly shifting narrators, and a flood of made-up jargon. ( )
  adamhindman | Dec 15, 2018 |
"The Gibson of The Peripheral is interested in ideas but he’s also very much interested in big-screen, popcorn-chewing thrills. Unlike more po-faced SF writers, he takes glee in kick-assery of an adolescent sort."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Sam Leith (Nov 19, 2014)

"The Peripheral" is engaged with serious ideas — the moral pressure of life in late capitalist society, the state of identity in a world of mingled gamer-selves, online-selves, physical-selves — and through them it achieves the strange effect of making our own accelerated days feel quaint, at least partially analog for a bit longer, "oddly optimistic," still yet to endure anything truly apocalyptic.

"What sets each book apart is the worldbuilding that surrounds that plot kernel. This time around, it’s particularly intriguing."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 15, 2014)

"All of Gibson’s characters are intensely real, and Flynne is a clever, compelling, stereotype-defying, unhesitating protagonist who makes this novel a standout."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 1, 2014)

William Gibsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Achilles, GretchenDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hasselberger, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have already told you of the sickness and confusion that comes with time travelling.

--H. G. Wells
To Shannie
They didn't think Flynne's brother had PTSD, but that sometimes the haptics glitched him.
“Why aren’t you up in the future,” Flynne asked him, “flying your washing machine?”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible