The Remedy for Love: A Novel by Bill…

The Remedy for Love: A Novel

by Bill Roorbach

In the hands of a lesser writer, a novel about two emotionally-damaged people (one obviously so, the other keeping it hidden) trapped in a snowed-in cabin might be a recipe for literary claustrophobia. But Bill Roorbach adds a secret doorway that opens the story up to a greater world of relationships and trust and hurt and deceit and romance. The storm-bound characters fight their way through tough emotional obstacles to find bravery, then trust and finally love, and in the process develop the strength to also fight their way through the storm of the century. Great read! ( )
1 vote jimnicol | Feb 21, 2017 |
Loved this book!! Roorbach is smart without being pretentious, and this is one of the few books with an introspective/ponderous side that I actually really liked reading! The man has GOT IT folks, and this book has it all: sexy, smart, funny, suspenseful, honest, and beautifully written. One of my top 5 books this year. ( )
  eenerd | Sep 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What were the chances that Eric, a small town lawyer in Maine, and seemingly indigent Danielle would ever meet? In Bill Roorbach's engrossing novel, The Remedy for Love, they do meet and as a result their lives become intertwined in ways they could not have foreseen.
A weather forecast of "the storm of the century" prompts Eric to leave his office early. While in line at the grocery store, a problem arises when the young woman ahead of him doesn't have enough money to pay for her groceries. He senses she has more problems than just being short of cash and he generously makes up the difference. Danielle offers no thanks, but this doesn't stop Eric from taking her home. Home turns out to be a primitive cabin in the woods and it doesn't belong to Danielle. Fearing she won't survive the upcoming storm, he does what he can to help her. The powerful storm comes to fruition and Eric unexpectedly finds himself stranded in the cabin with Danielle. Two strangers, both with secrets, enter into an intense and often bizarre relationship. Can they survive the storm and come to terms with what of themselves they reveal to each other? Reluctant at first, they both take emotional risks. Their dialogue is dramatic and provocative.
I found this novel to be psychologically stimulating. The gifted author skillfully takes the reader on a journey into the minds of the characters. Highly recommended.

I received this book for free through LibraryThing and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Sep 8, 2015 |
The Remedy for Love was a book I touched and didn't let go until I finished. The author's writing (which is one of the most important things for me) was catching and enjoyable.
The story was a good read, one you want to read in one sitting. I read it after a big reader's slump, so I can say it's a refreshing read. I was well written and had a compelling story. On one level you want to find out what happens to them in their dire situation. On another level, you need to know the woman's story. Why is she in this condition? What happened to her?

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Jul 8, 2015 |
I just finished The Remedy for Love, a book I won on Library Thing...I thoroughly liked this book, especially the ending...I choose to think they lived happily ever after and visited the beach often. the only thing that disturbed me was the language, the book was strong enough on its own without the language used. I love a story about survival and am glad I won it.... ( )
  ccheripka | Jun 16, 2015 |
For Poppy – Sixty Years of Unwavering Support
The young woman ahead of him in line at the Hannaford Superstore was unusually fragrant, smelled like wood smoke and dirty clothes and cough drops or maybe Ben-Gay, eucalyptus anyway.
". . . he’s all heartbroken, and not even poetry is working, so he wrote down something like that the only remedy for love was to love more. Like love was a disease that cured itself.”

“He was quoting Ovid!” Eric said, proud of himself. “The Cure for Love.
He was a guy who prided himself on thinking his way forward through a problem. While meanwhile he was a guy who dealt almost daily with people who hadn’t thought forward, who never thought forward, who were always crushed by the problems that not looking forward had caused.

They're calling for the "Storm of the Century," and in western Maine, that means something. So Eric closes his law office early and heads to the grocery store. But when an unkempt and seemingly unstable young woman in line comes up short on cash, a kind of old-school charity takes hold of his heart--twenty bucks and a ride home; that's the least he can do. Trouble is, Danielle doesn't really have a home. She's squatting in a cabin deep in the woods: no electricity, no plumbing, no heat. Eric, with troubles--and secrets--of his own, tries to walk away but finds he can't. She'll need food, water, and firewood, and that's just to get her through the storm: there's a whole long winter ahead. Resigned to help, fending off her violent mistrust of him, he gets her set up, departs with relief, and climbs back to the road, but--winds howling, snow mounting--he finds his car missing, phone inside. In desperation, he returns to the cabin. Danielle's terrified, then merely enraged. And as the storm intensifies, these two lost souls are forced to ride it out together.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill Roorbach's book The Remedy for Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Bill Roorbach's book The Remedy for Love was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible