You by Caroline Kepnes
    Secret Smile by Nicci French (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Charming men sweep women off their feet before revealing their true natures. In these psychological suspense stories, vulnerable-yet-resilient heroines stalked, threatened, and traumatized by charismatic sociopaths must go to extreme lengths to escape their obsessive exes before it's too late.… (more)

Joe Goldberg has a complete creepy and stalker-ish demeanor, but I found his deranged nature so very much intriguing. His psychotic thoughts are almost poetic. I don’t believe this story could have been told in any other perspective other than second person. Due to this book being written in this manner, it gives the reader such a wild ride seeing the world through the eyes of a sociopath. The author’s vivid, rich, and expressive detail into the psyche of a true psychotic just kept me coming back for more, regardless of my discomfort at times.

In addition to reading this book, at the recommendation of others, I also listened to the audio book and commend you to do the same. It is one of the best audio book I ever listened to. Santino Fontana narrates this book is such a steller way. I would honestly listen to this man narrate the phone book, he’s that good. Get this book. You’ll love it. Seriously.
I am now moving on to book two. There is no way I can stop now. I need to find out how this all pans out. Does Joe get caught? Does Amy become another mouse to his cat?

UPDATE: A little heads up, this book is being made into a TV series with amazing casting and honestly I cannot wait to see it!

https://juliedavide.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/94/ ( )
  jdavide | Nov 14, 2017 |
I listened to this on audiobook, which just made it that much more creepy.

I think this was so different since it was from the stalkers POV. It was also very disturbing since the characters start dating. I thought it was going to get very intense, but I found myself losing interest. This could have been a little shorter as some stuff that happened did not bring anything extra/special to the storyline. This had so much more potential to be intense and “on the edge of your seat.” Great concept, but fell a little short. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Nov 6, 2017 |
Hated the main character but couldn't stop listening! ( )
  joanalau | Sep 6, 2017 |
I listened to the audiobook read by Santino Fontana and let me tell you it's as amazing as it could get! I was hooked so badly I end it in two days. And now I can't get over it! I need more. ( )
  CaroHansen | Aug 15, 2017 |
Guinevere Beck walks into a small bookstore and encounters and flirts with Joe, the man who runs the store. They have a conversation about books and flirt a little. Joe becomes obsessed with wanting to know more about "Beck". He finds her on social media, finds out where she lives and really begins stalking her.
This is scary. What is even scarier than the story is that you kind of like Joe. This is written in second person perspective, so Joe is the guy. Obsession is his game. He goes a little far in some cases.
Well written and pulls you right in with the writing. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Aug 5, 2017 |
Caroline Kepnes is brilliant and unique in her voice and writing of Joe’s character. The story is told by Joe in second person, allowing the reader to live inside of Joe’s head as he speaks to Beck through his thoughts. There is an innocence and sweetness about Joe and his obsession, and the second person point of view is very clever on the author’s part because it brings the reader so much closer to the characters and allows empathy for Joe and his actions. Did I just say empathy? Yes. Empathy AND understanding for the actions of this creepy stalker whom I couldn’t help but grow closer to and somehow feel a tenderness toward his normal facade. We do get just a glimpse to arouse suspicion as to why Joe is the way he is, but there isn’t anything substantial to validate that belief. Perhaps, that is for the next book?

It’s evident that Caroline Kepnes is a literary junkie and well-read as she becomes the book savvy and opinionated Joe who reveres books with literary references throughout the book. The perversion of You is compelling and passionate, making it difficult to put down. This is truly a story of love and obsession gone awry, and it’s creepy to think that this could really happen or perhaps it does really happen in life. What’s more creepy than Joe’s story of his love and obsession for Beck? The fact that I was emotionally tied to his character. Every flaw. Every humor. Every corrupt effort on his part to weave a life with Beck that he visualized in his demented mind. Rarely does the reader enter the mind of a demented psychopath, and You provides that thrill. Brilliant, twisted,chilling, and innocence describe Joe and his obsession in this character akin to Steinbeck’s Lenny and his mouse in Of Mice and Men. I recommend this book to those readers who seek a psychological thrill and be aware. You WILL take a walk in the shoes of a forlorn and psychotic romantic.
added by RREBB | editRomantic Reading Escapes, RREBB (Dec 16, 2014)

"First of the day, God willing, see you tomorrow." - Harold Samuel Kepnes, January 29, 1947 - November 13, 2012
For you, Dad
You walk into the bookstore and you keep your hand on the door to make sure it doesn't slam.

"Love hurts... When aspiring writer Guinevere Beck strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe works, he's instantly smitten. Beck is everything Joe has ever wanted: She's gorgeous, tough, razor-smart, and as sexy as his wildest dreams. Beck doesn't know it yet, but she's perfect for him, and soon she can't resist her feelings for a guy who seems custom made for her. But there's more to Joe than Beck realizes, and much more to Beck than her oh-so-perfect facade. Their mutual obsession quickly spirals into a whirlwind of deadly consequences. A chilling account of unrelenting passion, Caroline Kepnes's You is a perversely romantic thriller that's more dangerously clever than any you've read before"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,393,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible