Cabello (Volume 1) by Grea Alexander

Cabello (Volume 1)

by Grea Alexander

abuse (1) buddy (1) coroner (1) December (1) demons (1) ebook (2) fear (1) guardian (1) horror (2) killer (1) love (1) Lucian (1) Matthew (1) novel (1) novella (1) occult (1) paranormal (1) Peter (1) purchase.second (2) rape (1) read (1) read.first (2) revenge (1) reviewed (1) sexual abuse (1) sheriff (1) supernatural horror (1) Texas (1) to-read (11) witches (1)

Creepy, mess with your mind horror stories are not my cup of tea at my age but way back when I was a wee thing I was too into Stephen King. This book was a flashback into my early teens when I devoured books from the horror genre. And yep I definitely had fun reading it. I'd recommend it for sure to those who would like a quick read horror fix. I'm not going to tell you much about the story as it will reveal too much but let's just say that this story is all about a pretty young girl and a terrifying guardian demon stalker.

I received a free copy from the author for voluntary review consideration ( )
  Ash_P | Aug 5, 2017 |
Cabello

by Grea Alexander

I liked it. My favorite books are Steven King, Dean Koontz and the like. This story line compares to something either one would write but for some reason it just didn't flow for me. Maybe because it being a novella it seemed I didn't get as involved with the characters or some scenes were just choppy like parts were missing, I don't know. Overall however I liked the story and found it a little scary and also a little far fetched and not believable at the same time, which reminded me of an amusing killer bee movie.

So if you like that sort of thing I guess this book is for you! ( )
  Kimmyd76 | Oct 21, 2014 |
This story was borne out of a bizarre nightmare I had.

When I was in high school, I had this kitten that one day mysteriously disappeared. Afterward, I started having these bizarre nightmares that this cat was out to get revenge on me. While most normal people would have simply been freaked out, I instead wrote down the first scraps of what would later evolve into Cabello.

This story started out as a one-shot story. However, as I got into the book, I started getting more ideas. It is now the 1st of 3 books that will be in this series.

This book (The Beginning) introduces Cabello as he is reborn into his true self after centuries trapped in another form and explores what in his mind is his heroic efforts to save Mineau from those who wronged her - to avenge her if you will. Only Cabello is far from angelic. He expects to be rewarded for his effort. When he doesn't get what he wants, his true colors really start to emerge.

In book II, we follow Cabello's lover as she struggles to cope with her pregnancy with....well, I guess you'll have to read to find out what exactly she's carrying inside of her. (laugh) Two characters from the 1st book also return as they struggle to move on from the events of the 1st book. I had great fun coming up with the skeleton of this book and look forward to writing it.

The final book (3) will reveal all - Cabello's 1st life, how he became the creature he became and why Mineau was the one who was able to trigger the changes in him that would ultimately set him free. ( )
  Grea_Alexander | Sep 15, 2014 |
I received this book free from the author through LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. This book is about a teenage victim of abuse and has a supernatural twist. As I got further into this novella I was reminded of something written by Stephen King. Lots of twists and turns and scary at times. At times Cabello seems to be the devil himself. This is book is well written and holds the reader’s attention throughout but it isn’t really my “cup of tea.” ( )
  iadam | Jul 24, 2014 |
I was hooked on this novella the moment I read the blub in front about why I should read any novella. That is one of the best things I've read in a long time. What a creative author!

The novella was also an interesting read. It is a dark story involving Mineau, a teenage victim of abuse at the hands of her stepfather, and the characters who step forward to help or to further hurt her. Chief in the helping category is Mateo, a classmate and wannabe boyfriend. And then there is Cabello who in his previous incarnation was Mineau's beloved pet cat. He sets out to avenge Mineau and in general creates a heck of a scary mess.

In addition to the well thought out horror story, I enjoyed the character development. I appreciated the amount of personal healing that Mineau was able to accomplish in such a short book. And I loved that Mateo stuck by her despite all of the problems.

I give this story itself four stars. However, I rated it only three stars because this book is seriously in need of a good editor. I understand that many books are self-published but even if you don't have access to a professional editor, there are plenty of people (English teachers, well-read friends, etc.) who could help with basic things such as verb tense and missing words. I hate to see needless distractions inserted into a good story by lack of editing. That said, I have seen worse instances of poor editing and despite it all, I still enjoyed the story and recommend reading the novella. ( )
  bpreed | Jul 18, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Grea Alexander's book Cabello was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible