Rebellion Book I: Book of Quay by Grea…

Rebellion Book I: Book of Quay

by Grea Alexander

This is book 1 in a 3 book series. This first book - Book of Quay is so entitled because in this book it is Quay who knows the most about what is going on (although he is not the most forthcoming). He struggles the most throughout because unlike Soung he understands more fully everyone's motivations and the real, deeper implications of her being back in his life. He is the one who is struggling the most with the emotional and psychological damage from their shared past as well as how it has colored their present. Soung, while having inklings, has yet to fully grasp the full picture.

In book II - Book of Soung, it is Soung who is keeping Quay in the dark. Most of what happens is happening to her while Quay is the one trying to put the pieces together. At the same time, Soung begins to more fully grasp that which Quay has known all along. She learns more of who he truly is and who they have been to each other.

Book III - Book of Choi, is the final book. In it, everything is revealed about both Quay and Soung - everything that led up to them becoming Cat and Qin, everything that led up to the Emperor's obsession with Quay, everything that led up to the initial betrayal which pulled them apart and the aftermath of that betrayal. In short, everything that landed them where they started in Book I ( )
  Grea_Alexander | Sep 15, 2014 |
Except for the Chinese names and a few descriptive phrases this piece of fiction could have taken place anywhere other than during the Qing dynasty. It has all the elements one looks for in a dime novel: heroine princess, crafty emperor, erotic encounters and betrayal. The book cover displays some sensitivity to Chinese culture and history but there appears to be scant appreciation for Asian tradition, which would have added substance to the narrative and perhaps some literary elegance. ( )
1 vote mcdenis | Jul 19, 2014 |
I won this ebook along with 2 others from the same author from LibraryThing Members Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. This book, I didn't want it to finish. Intriguing, it held my attention till the last page. The twisted fates of Soung and Quay feed a storyline filled with betrayal, lies, jealousy, misunderstanding and above all the realization of a destiny of true love. I think Grea Alexander is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Looking forward to book 2. ( )
  Ash_P | Jul 15, 2014 |
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review as part of the Members Giveaway program. Plot spoilers may follow.*

I’m struggling with how to best summarize this book and I’ll probably fail, so I’m going to leave that to our queen and just review it. Lol Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this book. It had this constant underlying sense of sadness, I suppose at what had been lost on both sides, and even though the ‘happy ending’ girl in me wanted to have seen everything resolved during Quay’s chapter, I like that it was dragged out and wasn’t fully resolved just yet. I’m so curious as to what the Quay/Qin history is and exactly why it had to be that way, and I think the author did a great job of weaving snippets of past conversations into the plot so that we’d understand without knowing all. I think revealing bits and pieces of the past that way seems to make more sense for the constant sense of danger surrounding them rather than it all being laid on the table at once before anything has the chance to be resolved, because then it would be too overwhelming. I think there needed to be a bit of resolution as well as a little more emotional maturity from Soung before we can fully explore the Qin/Cat backstory. It was an interesting twist that Soung couldn’t put the pieces together because she’d blocked it out and refused to look at the similarities between the Qin she remembered and Quay. It’s definitely not the typical reason that I read when the heroine has amnesia. I think what stuck out to me at the conclusion of this book was how many questions I had, just how many things had been left unresolved. Now whether these are loose ends that are tied up in Soung’s chapter or they were forgotten I’m not sure, but I had a lot of questions about how things came to be. Even though this is technically a historical romance, I enjoyed that the conversational style was as modern as it was. I usually don’t like it, but I think it gave both Quay and Soung more personality to hear them speaking as informally as we do today. The fact that neither of them spoke in the more stuffy conversational style that is typical of most historical romances made me like the book a bit better. One thing I really liked about reading this book was the internal conflict going on with both Quay and Soung, but I thought the conflict going on in Quay’s mind because he knew everything was a bit more layered.

Since this was Quay’s story, I think his past should have been delved into a little further; I felt that this was more a peek into both of their pasts and backstories than it was primarily Quay’s. I heard a bit more from Soung’s point of view and I think that’s why I initially was confused on how to summarize this part of the book, since it was supposed to be Quay’s. I would have loved to learn more about why and how Quay became who he was. Something that jumped out at me was that even though the summary of this book noted that Soung was going to be caught in the middle between her father and Quay, I didn’t get much objection from her father after she was caught up with Quay and the rest of the rebels. I expected a lot more of a push-pull between the two after Soung’s capture and I didn’t really get it. I noticed a few grammatical errors throughout the book and they didn’t detract from the story at all but I’d suggest another scan by a proofreader just to make sure the more obvious ones are caught. I think the story itself was excellent, I enjoyed the way it was told, and it had a healthy mix of witty and tragic, action and suspense. The main characters all have a story to be told, whether it is a large and important or small and minor story, and I’m looking forward to hearing more about them. Our queen (LOL) did a good job of making something appealing out of each character, even if the only bit of appeal about the person is my desire to see them get theirs. Even the characters that I mistakenly called throwaway characters had their place, their moment in the spotlight, and I like that this book isn’t full of filler characters. I cannot list the loose ends in this chapter as a complaint because I don’t know yet if they’ve been addressed in the second chapter. With that being said, my primary complaints would be that I didn’t feel I got enough of Quay’s backstory and the lack of seeing Soung actually in the middle. Otherwise, I have no complaints with this chapter of the Rebellion series and I’m eager to read the Book of Soung next!
  mandygirl.10 | Jun 13, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Grea Alexander's book Rebellion Book I: Book of Quay was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,996,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible