The Distance Between Lost and Found by…

The Distance Between Lost and Found

by Kathryn Holmes

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An unlikely trio stuck in the woods on a church field trip.

Opening Sentence: The laughter starts as a low murmur.

The Review:

The title of this story, combined with the creepy cover led me to believe that this was another horror story. I’m so glad it wasn’t. I devoured this story in one day, which is a shocker considering I work full-time! Kids that wander off into the woods on their own and get lost isn’t exactly a new idea, but I loved the characters and the way the story was written.

Hallelujah, aka Hallie, has been the victim of a horrible rumour for the past year. As a result, she’s withdrawn from others in order to protect herself. One of her best friends, Jonah, turned his back on her when she needed him the most so when Hallie, Jonah and a girl called Rachel are lost in the woods together, sparks are bound to fly.

I loved Hallie and Jonah’s relationship. There’s a lot of history and although it went sour, the reader gets to see how difficult it is for both of them to spend so much time together and ignore the past. As their situation worsens, they all open up more and I’m so glad they ended up clearing the air to start afresh.

Hallie’s character development throughout the ordeal is incredible. This kind of event would change anyone but it was great to see the improvement in her and how getting lost helped her to reconnect.

Rachel was like the glue of the story; the link that kept them together. Because of Rachel, Hallie was able to overcome what happened with Luke. Rachel’s odd humour, such as randomly breaking out in Disney songs made me smile. Even though she didn’t know either Hal or Jonah before this ‘trip’ she manages to make friendships that I’m sure will last.

“Hal, despite the giant prickly wall you’ve put up around yourself with the neon Off-Limits sign flashing at the gate-”
Hallelujah lets out a small laugh at this picture of herself.
“-you’re nice. Like I said when I told you about my parents, you listen. And you care. Which is more than I can say for about three-quarters of the high school population…”

There’s a lot of reference to God in this story, mainly since the outdoor retreat is a church field trip. Usually this would make me a leeetle nervous as I’m not fond of overly ‘preachy’ books, but I think it helped the reader understand Hallie more. It was more insightful than preachy and I liked that about it.

A storm. But beyond the band of rain clouds, the sky is blue again. Bright, shining blue. The storm won’t last long. And, Hallelujah realizes, sometimes you need the storm to really appreciate the sun and the blue sky.

After reading The Distance Between Lost and Found, I’m now a huge fan of Holmes’s writing and I look forward to reading more of her work!

Notable Scene:

She’s not alone, despite Luke’s best efforts. Despite her own.

She feels hope well up. She isn’t sure what to do with it. Hope is scary. Expecting the worst is easier.

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of The Distance Between Lost and Found. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 2, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Sophomore Hallie Calhoun has just endured the most excruciating six months of her life. Once the rumors about her and the preacher's son, Luke, made their way around school, her friends abandoned her, and Hallie has completely withdrawn.

Now, on a hike in the Smoky Mountains with the same people who have relentlessly taunted her, Hallie is pushed to her limit. Then Hallie, outgoing newcomer Rachel, and Jonah—Hallie's former friend—get separated from the rest of the group. As days go by without rescue, their struggle for survival turns deadly. Stranded in the wilderness, the three have no choice but to trust one another in order to stay alive . . . and for Hallie, that means opening up about what really happened that night with Luke.

My Thoughts:

It was okay. I'm not real excited about the story line or the characters. It was intended to be a YA book but I have read other YA books that were much better. Where this book falls short is not until its closure. Simply put...this is, to a great extent, because there IS no closure. The central characters in the story were either whiny brats or allowed themselves to be treated like second class citizens...and that was just the girls. The two main male characters should have just been thrown off the mountain to begin with. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I literally could not stop reading this book once I started it. My heart and my interest were won at the very beginning. My heart broke for Hallelujah, and I totally understood her. The good girl who had always done what was right and then one incident and one disgusting, deceitful, popular boy ruined her reputation and pretty much her whole life. I could see myself reacting the same way Hallie did - withdrawing from everyone and becoming incredibly angry that everyone actually believed the disgusting, deceitful, popular boy.

There is really something for everyone in this book. It is an exciting survival story, it is a coming-of-age story, it is a story of identity - what makes us who we are, it is a story of forgiveness, it is a story of redemption. There is also vile bullying and a sweet romance. Probably the thing I like the best was how REAL it was. There wasn't a quick oh-you're-forgiven-for-everything scene, the issue of forgiveness resurfaced many times. The kids were on a youth group trip and while they were lost and suffering, they discussed God and how they felt about the whole concept. There was no saccharine sweet sappiness about it, there were questions and concerns and true feelings about how God could be letting this happen to them. However, I wouldn't classify this as a Christian book, it was just about kids who happened to be on a youth group trip and got lost. I also loved one conversation where Hallie asked Jonah why he never cursed - especially given the situation they were in. He talked about his father, who "curses up a storm when he's not in church", or his friends, who curse all the time when there are no adults around. He said:

“I know too many people who are one thing when they think it matters and another thing the rest of the time. And I don’t want to be like that . So I don’t curse at all. It’s like —what you see is what you get.”

Words to live by from a teenage boy.

Because of the real feelings that are evoked in this book, I think middle school kids will love it - I know I did. The title is so perfect for the book - "lost" and "found" have several different meanings in it. I will definitely be watching for more by this author - this was her debut novel. Well done!

Areas of concern:
*A few curse words.
*Mysterious "incident" with a boy that has ruined a girl's life. The "incident" is finally explained in detail, but it doesn't go too far.
*Intense, non-physical bullying.
*Scary survival situations.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |
Faith and survival while lost in the Great Smoky Mountains. Engrossing teen novel, sometimes a bit obvious. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I received this book for free as part of a first reads promotion ( )
  lilnursesuhy | Mar 4, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible